Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2022, 07:03 AM   #1
derowe82

Replacing roof vents

He everyone, I am in need of replacing some of my roof vents. My trailer does have the MaxxAir vent covers on them, one being broken, but some of the factory vents are broken(wont open, won't close, cracked).

My questions:

1. Can I just replace the components needed and not the whole housing of vent? For example, the crank and gear to open vent... can I just swap that?

2. How would one go about changing these parts out with a NON walkable roof?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
Bustinbeards

As far as access on the roof use 2 pieces of plywood or 2” foam insulation under you to spread out the weight.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Don't believe you will have much luck finding parts for non-fan roof vents.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...Vent-pc-No_Fan

There has been a lot of discussion on ways to get on a non-walkable roof without damaging it. Putting something to distribute your weight seems to be the consensus. It also helps if you are a light weight rather than kind of porky like myself.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #4
Hblick48

I've replaced the crank mechanism and a cover only. Found parts on Amazon or Ebay, don't remember which.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #5
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Don't believe you will have much luck finding parts for non-fan roof vents.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...Vent-pc-No_Fan

There has been a lot of discussion on ways to get on a non-walkable roof without damaging it. Putting something to distribute your weight seems to be the consensus. It also helps if you are a light weight rather than kind of porky like myself.

I am 6'6", 275lbs... so basically could jump up there and not worry about a thing!!

I am hoping I can access most of them from a ladder, but won't know until this weekend.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by derowe82 View Post
He everyone, I am in need of replacing some of my roof vents. My trailer does have the MaxxAir vent covers on them, one being broken, but some of the factory vents are broken(wont open, won't close, cracked).

My questions:

1. Can I just replace the components needed and not the whole housing of vent? For example, the crank and gear to open vent... can I just swap that?

2. How would one go about changing these parts out with a NON walkable roof?

Thanks
1) you can replace it once you determine the style.

2) remove the garnish ring from the ceiling, then the crank handle and screen. No need to get on the roof unless you need to change a vent cover.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I've replaced the crank mechanism and a cover only. Found parts on Amazon or Ebay, don't remember which.

Thanks, I will look on those sites to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
1) you can replace it once you determine the style.

2) remove the garnish ring from the ceiling, then the crank handle and screen. No need to get on the roof unless you need to change a vent cover.

When you say "determine the style", what are you referring to? The crank style?
Old 09-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes. Does the crank assembly have an arm with a disc at the end or a plastic slot that rides on the vent lid.

More common:
https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...%7C%20%2413.99

Less common:
https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...%7C%20%2410.99

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #9
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yes. Does the crank assembly have an arm with a disc at the end or a plastic slot that rides on the vent lid.

More common:

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...%7C%20%2413.99

Less common:

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...%7C%20%2410.99
Oh got ya. Yea mine are the more common style. I will prchause a couple gear unit. Honestly, the covers aren't bad. I have one MaxxAur cover in the rear that broke, but the other are good.

Also, the bathroom fan is all broke, so will have to replace that. Can a fan house be replaced from inside?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Oh got ya. Yea mine are the more common style. I will prchause a couple gear unit. Honestly, the covers aren't bad. I have one MaxxAur cover in the rear that broke, but the other are good.

Also, the bathroom fan is all broke, so will have to replace that. Can a fan house be replaced from inside?

Thanks.
Bathroom fan can be replaced from inside. I replaced mine a number of years ago with a Hengs kit. 15 min job.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:07 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I am 6'6", 275lbs... so basically could jump up there and not worry about a thing!!

I am hoping I can access most of them from a ladder, but won't know until this weekend.
275 might make the middle weight division in this geezer filled forum! The bath fan motor is easy and cheap. I know they sell those as I bought one a few years back and one screw and plug it in and go. I didn't know they sold parts for the non-fan vents; good luck; eBay and Amazon have everything so happy hunting. BTW: almost all those vent things are made by one or two companies so matching yours shouldn't be an issue. We hardly ever open our vents and have 14x14 pillows (made for this) stuffed in for insulation. Hard to keep cool in Texas and seldom camp when the windows can be opened; either way too hot or too cold (we have winter about 3 days a year).
Old 09-02-2022, 02:12 PM   #12
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Bathroom fan can be replaced from inside. I replaced mine a number of years ago with a Hengs kit. 15 min job.
Perfect, just the answer I wanted. Lol
Quote:
275 might make the middle weight division in this geezer filled forum! [emoji38] The bath fan motor is easy and cheap. I know they sell those as I bought one a few years back and one screw and plug it in and go. I didn't know they sold parts for the non-fan vents; good luck; eBay and Amazon have everything so happy hunting. BTW: almost all those vent things are made by one or two companies so matching yours shouldn't be an issue. We hardly ever open our vents and have 14x14 pillows (made for this) stuffed in for insulation. Hard to keep cool in Texas and seldom camp when the windows can be opened; either way too hot or too cold (we have winter about 3 days a year).
[emoji23]. I could only imagine Texas camping. I am in MI so spring and fall are fantastic. Summer a hair warm unless on the lake. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:59 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Last year has been a lot of triple digits and many parks in our area have very limited shade. Last year we had some really bad weather with a major snowstorm that took out our power for five days but that was unusual. Texas is on its own grid and the folks who manage it are... well the word idiot comes to mind. They do nothing to insure the gas fed power plants and similar are insulated from cold and the situation is made worse when all the wind turbines to the west get frozen as they did last year. Lucky my neighbor had a bunch of wood he cut when he cleared his land and has no fireplace... My poor neighbor lady and the neighbor with the wood didn't know enough to shut down the well pumps in freezing temps and both had their PVC blow up in their well houses. There was a major shortage of PVC after the storm.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #14
derowe82

Quote:
Last year has been a lot of triple digits and many parks in our area have very limited shade. Last year we had some really bad weather with a major snowstorm that took out our power for five days but that was unusual. Texas is on its own grid and the folks who manage it are... well the word idiot comes to mind. They do nothing to insure the gas fed power plants and similar are insulated from cold and the situation is made worse when all the wind turbines to the west get frozen as they did last year. Lucky my neighbor had a bunch of wood he cut when he cleared his land and has no fireplace... My poor neighbor lady and the neighbor with the wood didn't know enough to shut down the well pumps in freezing temps and both had their PVC blow up in their well houses. There was a major shortage of PVC after the storm.
Crazy the difference in lifestyles ya know. I had a buddy who moved from MI to GA a few years back. They got an inch of snow and town was 100% shut down. Nobody was out... Except for my buddy driving his little stick shift front wheel drive Mazda. He was used to the snow driving. Most others in GA were not. [emoji23]

Tags
roof, vent