Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2022, 05:57 AM   #1
clockmanjim

Laser Thermometers

I've been reading posts that broach the subject of carrying one of these to check wheel bearing & brake temps. Well,I went to the store and picked one up to add to my growing bag of goodies. After I tested it a couple of times, I got to thinking, if I stop at a rest area or when I reach my campground and use this handy gadget to check the temp of my bearings, how do I know if they are hot or normal? I realize that the heat generated will depend on the weight being towed, terrain and distance being towed, but is there any type of chart that tells me what might be normal?
Thanks as always for any input

Jim
2021 #219BH Passport pulled by a F150 3.6 Eco boost with HD tow package
clockmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:00 AM   #2
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockmanjim View Post
I've been reading posts that broach the subject of carrying one of these to check wheel bearing & brake temps. Well,I went to the store and picked one up to add to my growing bag of goodies. After I tested it a couple of times, I got to thinking, if I stop at a rest area or when I reach my campground and use this handy gadget to check the temp of my bearings, how do I know if they are hot or normal? I realize that the heat generated will depend on the weight being towed, terrain and distance being towed, but is there any type of chart that tells me what might be normal?
Thanks as always for any input
I look for one being abnormally hot. All the bearings won't go bad at the same time, so look for one or two to be abnormally different!
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:04 AM   #3
markcee

There may be more accurate methods, but what I look for is a large inconsistency in temps between wheels.

An eTrailer Q&A is saw indicates over 200* could indicate an issue.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #4
clockmanjim

Thank you both for your responses

Jim
Old 08-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

I use the back of my hand to feel each of the wheels at a fuel stop. Not very scientific, but you can easily tell if one is hotter than the others.

On my recent trip, I found the driver’s side rear wheel very hot at a fuel stop. I jacked the wheel to check the bearings and found a broken spring hanger. We limped it to the next campground and got a welder to come out and weld the hanger. While I had the wheel off I decided to pull the hub and check the brakes and bearings. The bearings were good, but I repacked them anyway. However the brake pads fell out when I pulled the drum. It appears both the primary and secondary pads came unglued from the shoes and were binding in the drum creating the heat. The rest of the trip went good and there were no more temperature issues.

The likelihood of more than one wheel heating up at the same time is very low, so as much as I love gadgets, the back of my hand is all I need.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 02:06 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I use the back of my hand to feel each of the wheels at a fuel stop. Not very scientific, but you can easily tell if one is hotter than the others.

On my recent trip, I found the driver’s side rear wheel very hot at a fuel stop. I jacked the wheel to check the bearings and found a broken spring hanger. We limped it to the next campground and got a welder to come out and weld the hanger. While I had the wheel off I decided to pull the hub and check the brakes and bearings. The bearings were good, but I repacked them anyway. However the brake pads fell out when I pulled the drum. It appears both the primary and secondary pads came unglued from the shoes and were binding in the drum creating the heat. The rest of the trip went good and there were no more temperature issues.

The likelihood of more than one wheel heating up at the same time is very low, so as much as I love gadgets, the back of my hand is all I need.

Rob go ahead and get the gadget! The hand thing works pretty well until you get someone jabbering to you (and you jabbering back) while putting your hand on the hubs absent mindedly. A person can blister their hand and come up with some very colorful words!! You can get one of those infrared temp gauges for $13-14 and have it in a couple of days (just got my 3rd one yesterday).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #7
bsmith0404

What I’ve noticed is my hubs tend to run pretty consistent around 20-25 degrees warmer than ambient temps. This last trip we were running in 95-100 degree temps, the hubs were right around 120. If one was significantly warmer than the others, I would have checked it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:49 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

The IR temp guns are handy for lots of things. Good for checking a/c return air vs discharge air temps, thermal leaks around seals, and for checking breakers and wire connections for heat frome loose/arcing connections to name a few.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #9
P & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The IR temp guns are handy for lots of things. Good for checking a/c return air vs discharge air temps, thermal leaks around seals, and for checking breakers and wire connections for heat frome loose/arcing connections to name a few.
In some cases, you can use them to find aluminum studs in the rv walls too. There is a slight temp difference where the stud is vs the rest of the wall.
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:01 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

Lots of things. Heck the one I just got is to check temps on an induction range I put in the house. Who knows what 1-9 or "power" means in temps? The the type of pan makes a difference, this way I'll have some idea. Use it on the smoker we carry in the RV etc. etc. - handy little gadget.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:24 AM   #11
clockmanjim

I did get one of these devises and with the trip planned for next month, I’ll have plenty of opportunities to use it. Heading to an area north of Toronto to visit my wife’s relatives. From there it’s the Lake Superior circle tour.
We been camping for many years now and haven’t paid much attention to potential problems. Now that I’m older and wiser��, I find it necessary to to be precautious about all things. I just recently ditched my Trailer Kings for a set of Goodyear Endurance tires. I’ve sensors for reading my propane levels. Yup, this stuff works for me
Jim