Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2022, 06:44 AM   #1
INTREPID

cleaner and wax

what would be the best cleaner and wax for the shiny front of a Keystone premier bullet?
INTREPID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:21 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Any cleaner wax will work. The thing with wax is how long does it last. A carnauba wax only lasts about 4-6 months. A paint sealant and ceramic coating is good for 6 months to a year. Some people think that coatings last longer than that, they don’t. They sell 5 year warranties on them, but say they have to be inspected annually. They’ll reapply them as needed. On my vehicles I apply a paint sealant and then put a carnauba wax over it, gives a great shine. On the RV, I get it detailed twice a year now, but used to use a paste wax once a year followed with a spray wax (same brand) every 3-4 months to maintain the base. The reason I say same brand, waxes have chemical properties.
Like all chemicals, some bond to each other, some don’t. Using a paste and spray wax with the same chemical properties allows them to bond and maintain the base. BTW, more expensive waxes are more pure and produce a clearer shine, they don’t necessarily last longer. I’ve attached a pic of a good quality carnauba wax over paint sealant as an example of what I’m talking about. This pic is of a 2006 Silverado with 110k miles. I used a mild abrasive polish to remove scratches and oxidation followed by a fine polish with no cut pad to produces a clear shine, then applied the paint sealant and wax to make it pop. Sorry for the long explanation to you question, just wanted to point out its not necessary an easy question to answer, it’s more about the end result you’re looking for along with long term effects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBBE5DF1-11AD-42D1-84D1-8F37132DB084.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	41224  
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:24 AM   #3
gearhead

I would start with something cheap, easy, and available. For me that would be Meguairs Cleaner and Wax, in the dark red bottle. Less than $10 at WalMart.
If you have a random orbit polisher that would be a plus.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:29 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I would start with something cheap, easy, and available. For me that would be Meguairs Cleaner and Wax, in the dark red bottle. Less than $10 at WalMart.
If you have a random orbit polisher that would be a plus.
Megs also has a spray quick wax that can be used to maintain the base once the cleaner wax has been applied. Because it’s the same brand, it should have same base properties (not always). If you used the Megs ultimate wax and the Ultimate spray wax, they’re definitely the same base properties. I only use a cleaner wax if needed, oxidation to remove, if not needed, just apply a regular wax.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote