Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2022, 06:49 PM   #1
ArmyMutt

Option for frosted shower door on Cougars?

I really like the floor plans of a few Cougars as my next camper. They meet almost all of my specs. The only big hickup right now is the clear shower door. With only one toilet in most of them, having a clear shower door is not the best choice. I understand the goal is to make it appear bigger, but in a camper designed for more than a couple, it pretty much prevents everyone from using the toilet while someone is in the shower. Anyone know if a frosted glass is an available option?
ArmyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMutt View Post
I really like the floor plans of a few Cougars as my next camper. They meet almost all of my specs. The only big hickup right now is the clear shower door. With only one toilet in most of them, having a clear shower door is not the best choice. I understand the goal is to make it appear bigger, but in a camper designed for more than a couple, it pretty much prevents everyone from using the toilet while someone is in the shower. Anyone know if a frosted glass is an available option?
A paint spray frosting for glass is available. We have a very large window in our bathroom and it was frosted using that spray. It has held up fairly well for about 20 years.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:10 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

What model would that be? I've owned and seen lots of RV bathroom showers but don't recall a perfectly clear door in any of them. Mottled, frosted etc., sure. On the other hand, no matter how many folks we've ever had in an RV we never sent, or let, someone "unfamiliar" to a person into a bathroom while someone they didn't know went in to use the toilet; wouldn't do that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:41 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

First, I can't imagine anyone other than my DW agreeable to using the toilet while I'm in the shower and in today's "woke world" I damn sure ain't going to sit on the toilet when any woman other than DW is "nekkid in the shower"....

But, I realize not everyonen feels that level of privacy....

So, there are a number of "glass etching creams" available at any craft store. Just "paint it on and after a time, wipe it off" and "voila, satin finish". There's also "stained glass transparencies" and "privacy contact paper" that come in rolls. Cut to size, apply and they're pretty much an instant "view blocker"...

Like Danny, I don't remember ever seeing a Cougar (or any other trailer) with a truly clear glass shower door. Most are "raindrop frosted" design. You can see through them, but not clearly. But then, as I started this post, My DW ain't gonna ever be agreeable to someone peeing while she's in the shower. To me, that's why there aren't rest areas at every mile marker. We've learned to "hold it for a few minutes, until we get to where you can pee".... Or, for those who can't hold it until the bathroom is empty, there's always the bath house down a couple of campsites.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:58 AM   #5
ArmyMutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What model would that be?
The 30BHS and the 34TSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
First, I can't imagine anyone other than my DW agreeable to using the toilet while I'm in the shower and in today's "woke world" I damn sure ain't going to sit on the toilet when any woman other than DW is "nekkid in the shower"....

But, I realize not everyonen feels that level of privacy....

So, there are a number of "glass etching creams" available at any craft store. Just "paint it on and after a time, wipe it off" and "voila, satin finish". There's also "stained glass transparencies" and "privacy contact paper" that come in rolls. Cut to size, apply and they're pretty much an instant "view blocker"...

Like Danny, I don't remember ever seeing a Cougar (or any other trailer) with a truly clear glass shower door. Most are "raindrop frosted" design. You can see through them, but not clearly. But then, as I started this post, My DW ain't gonna ever be agreeable to someone peeing while she's in the shower. To me, that's why there aren't rest areas at every mile marker. We've learned to "hold it for a few minutes, until we get to where you can pee".... Or, for those who can't hold it until the bathroom is empty, there's always the bath house down a couple of campsites.....
I think you and I are at different stages when it comes to kids. Good luck telling a 6 y/o who "really has to pee and do you just want me to pee all over the floor?!" to hold it. Certainly not going to send her off through an RV park on her own. It's not the '70s anymore. My son I can send to pee behind the camper in an emergency (he may do it even in a non-emergency).
ArmyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:07 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMutt View Post
The 30BHS and the 34TSB

I think you and I are at different stages when it comes to kids. Good luck telling a 6 y/o who "really has to pee and do you just want me to pee all over the floor?!" to hold it. Certainly not going to send her off through an RV park on her own. It's not the '70s anymore. My son I can send to pee behind the camper in an emergency (he may do it even in a non-emergency).
Did you read the rest of the post? Or just pick up on the part you didn't agree with? There's etching creams at every crafts store and contact paper specifically designed to "block the clear view". Just peel the paper, apply it and the shower is no longer "see through".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:42 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35375487849...3ABFBMhJOy4M1g
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #8
wrvond

Here's my shower. I think it's pretty "clear" the glass isn't frosted in any way...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-05 161606.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	40978  

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #9
E Rod

I got rid of our triple glass panels in our Alpine and installed as curved shower curtain rod with the hotel type shower curtain that doesn't require a liner. Provides a little more elbow room as well

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #10
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Here's my shower. I think it's pretty "clear" the glass isn't frosted in any way...
My 2020 Cougar 1/2 ton is clear glass as well. I better move up to a Montana if I want some privacy!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:45 PM   #11
Carrottop

The other solution if you do not want to frost the glass for some reason is to install a shower curtain in front of the door. You would have all the privacy you need and the they sell a variety of compression bars that do not require drilling into the walls. Cheap and effective.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:59 PM   #12
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
The other solution if you do not want to frost the glass for some reason is to install a shower curtain in front of the door. You would have all the privacy you need and the they sell a variety of compression bars that do not require drilling into the walls. Cheap and effective.
You sir, are a friggin' GENIUS!!

Old 08-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #13
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
My 2020 Cougar 1/2 ton is clear glass as well. I better move up to a Montana if I want some privacy!
I figure if anybody interrupts my shower they deserve whatever they get!

Old 08-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post

Hmmm, is there glass there?? Do you use a shower curtain?? Yep, that looks pretty clear to me. I sure don't remember seeing a clear shower door on a Cougar...or maybe I just didn't see it because it's so clear!!
Old 08-05-2022, 04:30 PM   #15
RollaMo

Quote:
Hmmm, is there glass there?? Do you use a shower curtain?? Yep, that looks pretty clear to me. I sure don't remember seeing a clear shower door on a Cougar...or maybe I just didn't see it because it's so clear!!
What model year was the last Cougar you looked at?

Mine is the same clear glass wrvond posted.
Guess that is to be expected since we have the same model.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:40 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
What model year was the last Cougar you looked at?

Mine is the same clear glass wrvond posted.
Guess that is to be expected since we have the same model.

Last Cougar I looked at was in FL end of 2021 as I recall. I didn't look at 1/2 ton models (there were none on that lot) and only at models with that were larger. Nearly all had the neo angle shower though. I have looked at them a lot over the years, and owned one. Still don't recall that clear glass and maybe it's on that particular line??
Old 08-05-2022, 05:04 PM   #17
wrvond

Quote:
Last Cougar I looked at was in FL end of 2021 as I recall. I didn't look at 1/2 ton models (there were none on that lot) and only at models with that were larger. Nearly all had the neo angle shower though. I have looked at them a lot over the years, and owned one. Still don't recall that clear glass and maybe it's on that particular line??
That could well be. When I went shopping I didn't bother looking at anything over 30 feet long - that excluded all the regular Cougars.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:50 AM   #18
rlh1957

Our Cougar tri-slide shower doors are clear glass.
We use a squeegee after each shower to keep glass spotless.

There are window films that come frosted, colored or clear designs.
They are in rolls and are just cut to size and apply.
They are static cling style and put on like window tinting.
Easily removed to change design or get rid of it.

We put some on the shower skylight to give design, color & cut down sunlight.

We do have a shower bar just above the shower door frame that had a cloth shower curtain hanging to block shower view.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:37 AM   #19
Bullet1928

Nautilus Retractable Shower Door

This doesn’t really answer the question of frosting a shower door but it is another option. We have a Cougar that had a three part sliding shower door. One evening a while back we were asleep it sounded like a gun shot in the trailer. I discovered that one of the doors had shattered and shrewd hundreds of pieces of safety glass all over the place. After researching a bit I settled on Nautilus Retracting shower door from Stoett. Very easy to install and really opens the bathroom area. It has held up very well through the years.
Bullet1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #20
rlh1957

Here is picture of 2020 Cougar 29RKS with clear glass shower doors.
Also the cloth shower curtain on the outside of shower.
A picture showing the bar across the top for the curtain.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar