Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #21
hawghauler

I went with the companion when we got the dually it mounts to my existing flip over ball saving coins on mounting hardware

This hitch has no issues ive noticed pulling a 15k raptor with a 3500 dmax drw
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:22 PM   #22
foldbak

Watch out Keystone and Lippert won't warranty with an Anderson. Too many collapse failures due to hard stops. I have a GMC standard bed and I chose a Demco slider. I know it's heavy but I get 14"of clearance giving me more then 90 degrees, not that I'll need it but I've seen many noobs damage their trailers and trucks. Check out Youtube.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:37 PM   #23
rhagfo

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
Watch out Keystone and Lippert won't warranty with an Anderson. Too many collapse failures due to hard stops. I have a GMC standard bed and I chose a Demco slider. I know it's heavy but I get 14"of clearance giving me more then 90 degrees, not that I'll need it but I've seen many noobs damage their trailers and trucks. Check out Youtube.
Do you have documentation on the collapse failures??
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:21 AM   #24
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
He heard it on the internet. It must be true. Also he has the model of his tow vehicle spelled wrong in his signature.

Well here we go again.....I left this place once because of rude comments like this. Well George this time I won't be coming back! Sorry my dyslexia got in the way of my spelling.

As far as Anderson fifth wheel hitch failure (Google it) This voided warranty information was told to me by FLRV and verified by Keystone customer service in February 2022.

Here I'll save you some time. Now I'll going back to the Montana forums where this type of rude behavior just doesn't exist! Hope you're happy George!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	40692   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	40693   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	40694  

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Well here we go again.....I left this place once because of rude comments like this. Well George this time I won't be coming back! Sorry my dyslexia got in the way of my spelling.

As far as Anderson fifth wheel hitch failure (Google it) This voided warranty information was told to me by FLRV and verified by Keystone customer service in February 2022.

Here I'll save you some time. Now I'll going back to the Montana forums where this type of rude behavior just doesn't exist! Hope you're happy George!
This is exactly why I'd never trust the Anderson hitch, I have seen one similar to this live & in person.
For me a 35lb aluminum tripod with 3-5k lbs pin weight hammering up/down jerking back/forth just never did compute in my little pea brain.
And hey Foldbak, hang around, just ignore the rude comedian wannabes, they just have to be typing something!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:12 AM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:

Those are some nasty pictures! Was that hard braking?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:27 AM   #27
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by art m View Post
hi guys wife wants a 5th wheel , she let me upgrade the tw from a 2019 ram 2500 with the hemi to a 2022 chevrolet 2500 with the diesel. since i havent ever towed a 5th wheel im now trying to figure out the best hitch setup. my friend has an anderson,one of my customers says a bw companion ,and ive heard about a gooseneck set up . just looking for information and this seemed like a good place to ask
My first toe vehicle was a Ford F250 King Ranch Edition with the full tow package. I used a BMW companion hitch for our 10,000 lb fifth wheel. That truck got stolen right out of our driveway, hitch and all, along with 40 years worth of tools.
The Silver Lining was that the next available truck we found was an F-350 long bed, also with a full pulling package. It had been a farm truck, had huge overload Springs. Since I lost my companion hitch, I looked for something else. Couldn't find any companion hitches under a reasonable price. But, I found an Andersen hitch that was brand new. I wouldn't trade that for anything. It's overrated for the job it needs to do, and it does it extremely well with no chucking.
It's also extremely light, so I can get one of the grandkids to move it around.
If you can, go ahead and get a 350. It's much more stable, handles the load so much better, and you'll be thankful you did.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #28
Hillsy

BW Companion Plus Bags is the Hot Setup

Hi Art,
My rig is a '20 GMC AT4 HD Duramax with the factory puck system. This was my 1st 5th wheel setup & can't believe how well this works/tows. BW Companion is heavy (2 pieces) but should be for pulling a 40' loaded Fuzion 359 Toy Hauler full of Dirt Bikes & water, etc. eTrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...BWRVK3710.html

(https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/companion-oem)

This biggest difference (besides the stump-pulling Duramax) was also adding the airbags which are Firestone Ride-Rite Red Label Extreme Duty Air Helper Springs - Rear Axle from eTrailer (https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...one/F2709.html). This leveled out the truck & we routinely cruise @ 70 down the Interstates with no issues & don't even know we're towing something! Do your research & pick the best you can afford. Good luck & Safe Travels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hill-BW-Companion_Hitch.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	40701  
Hillsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

An excellent article comparing the Andersen Ultimate and other hitches. There is a picture of what looks like the same failure depicted in a post above. To be honest, I am a fan of the Andersen Ultimate unlike some others and if they prefer to use some other hitch, that is OK with me; just try to be fair if you are making arguments about strength of the AU and if you haven't used one, as some of the more vocal detractors, well, that is fine by me but how much stock can I put in your complaints about the AU if you haven't used one?
https://thecampingadvisor.com/anders...itch-problems/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #30
roadglide

Yes if you Google any hitch you will find failure. It was taken from a YouTube video.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E3345CA2-3745-4684-90D1-4E8B159F253F.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	40702  
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #31
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Yes if you Google any hitch you will find failure. It was taken from a YouTube video.
Did you pay Brian (Jasin1) to watch that youtube? I think he owns it. Seriously, will take a look at the video later; back to work now... been playing on the puter long enuf.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:50 PM   #32
rlh1957

We have had The Anderson Ultimate hitch for over 2 years and 7267 mikes without issue. Live it.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #33
kcamp99186

My 2017 F250 diesel had a 10Klbs GVWR and a 2228 lbs payload.

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:54 PM   #34
WDPatterson

Quote:

Take a good look at that lower picture. Take a look at the PIN box. They used a pin box that is not intended for use with an Anderson hitch. Do you see the rotator?? Do you see it??
Old 07-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #35
WDPatterson

For the record:
I have made very good use of an Andersen Ultimate Hitch many, many times. So has the owner of Tweety's RV.
I have also known numerous other people who have had absolutely no problems, and absolutely loved the use of them. They are lightweight, they are manageable, and they are not problematic.
The person who posted these pictures knows absolutely nothing about how to properly use that type of hitch, and that endangers everyone.
Do NOT use a pivoting pin box with an Andersen, or ANY other Ball-Top Hitch.

I can't believe I have to call this out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1657918539781.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	40711   Click image for larger version

Name:	1657918551761.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	40712  
Old 07-15-2022, 01:06 PM   #36
WDPatterson

Quote:
Hard stops are what trailer brakes are for. People should learn to use them.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:59 PM   #37
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
The person who posted these pictures knows absolutely nothing about how to properly use that type of hitch, and that endangers everyone.
Do NOT use a pivoting pin box with an Andersen, or ANY other Ball-Top Hitch.

I can't believe I have to call this out.
Not true, look at the second pic and you can see they actually have the rotoflex lock out kit that Andersen says to use. It was set up as intended. I’ve used the Andersen myself, now use the Pullrite 2600 because I like the concept and weight of the Andersen, but didn’t like some of the other things about it. I have personally seen an Andersen fail, not as dramatically as in the pics, but the coupler block cracked and a piece fell out. Luckily it didn’t fail while towing despite the damage. Andersen sent a replacement coupler to the owner,
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:06 PM   #38
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
Hard stops are what trailer brakes are for. People should learn to use them.
The one in the second pic looks like it collapsed towards the rear. I would guess that’s from the trailer pulling back during a hard stop.

The first one is definitely sheered off going forward. When I first looked at the pics, I thought it was the same incident, but after looking closer, it’s two separate incidents. One collapsed to the rear with the coupler still intact, the other sheered to the front and the 5er came up to the tailgate.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 04:46 PM   #39
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Not true, look at the second pic and you can see they actually have the rotoflex lock out kit that Andersen says to use. It was set up as intended. I’ve used the Andersen myself, now use the Pullrite 2600 because I like the concept and weight of the Andersen, but didn’t like some of the other things about it. I have personally seen an Andersen fail, not as dramatically as in the pics, but the coupler block cracked and a piece fell out. Luckily it didn’t fail while towing despite the damage. Andersen sent a replacement coupler to the owner,
Both of those swivel boxes failed. Never use anything but a solid pin box.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:24 PM   #40
wiredgeorge

I was looking at a real nice 5th wheel that was for sale in Lakehills and it had a swivel pin box. I contacted Andersen and they said it would have to be changed out for a regular pin box in order for it to work with an Andersen Ultimate hitch. I didn't have the money for the 5th wheel so it went no farther.

Tags
5th wheel, hitch