Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2022, 04:12 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Javi, have you ever used it? I ask as my regular cable is 40’ and have yet to need an extension cord. Well that was until we were going to spend the month at my daughters place. Looked like we were going to be 50’+ from the 30 amp outlet I installed. Well she trimmed an apple tree allowing us to park on the near side of a light pole. Now the 40’ works! Maybe some day I will get to use it.
Once, the week I bought it..

Never went back to that park, it was a very pretty park but very old and with strangely laid out sites many of which were back-ins with the hookup on the door side..

Anyway, as sure as I leave it at home; I'll be running around looking to buy another one..
Old 07-05-2022, 04:42 AM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

Never went back to that park, it was a very pretty park but very old and with strangely laid out sites many of which were back-ins with the hookup on the door side..

Anyway, as sure as I leave it at home; I'll be running around looking to buy another one..
LOL! Understand that line of thinking. Now that I have mine, and it takes up so little space it will be traveling with us all the time.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:35 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

You don't reckon it was an old mobile home park do you? I've been to a few that just weren't set up right for RVs. I asked at one of the places and they said it used to be a mobile home park but they "converted" it to an RV park. Guess they just moved the old mobile homes out for the "conversion" but didn't do a thing for the utilities.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:57 AM   #24
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You don't reckon it was an old mobile home park do you? I've been to a few that just weren't set up right for RVs. I asked at one of the places and they said it used to be a mobile home park but they "converted" it to an RV park. Guess they just moved the old mobile homes out for the "conversion" but didn't do a thing for the utilities.
Could have been, I guess.. although the sites were not very long, but they were well wooded and like I said it was a pretty place. just assbackwards
Old 07-05-2022, 08:16 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We've stayed in several old parks in PA built that way. I've seen pedestals back to back and some modern sites that way to make "buddy sites" so two trailers will face each other. In Gettysburg one section of one cg has the water and electric centrally located in back of 6 sites. If you're in the outer most site it's at least a 50' run. There's a cg in PA run by the electric company (near a hydro electric dam) where some sites require 75' of hose to get water. Those folks that are aware book the close sites and typically let their unsuspecting neighbors borrow thier spare water hoses and power extensions.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
You can select to view full site, at least on an iPhone.
I use an Android phone. The 3 vertical dots in the top right corner will open a drop down, go to "desk top site" this will get the full site version & once you close out it goes back to normal, so if you open another site you do the same "desk top site" selection.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #27
jimmyg

my cord too short

I have a 38ft keystone 5th wheel. I bought a 20ft 50a extension years ago. I keep it connected to my power cord. If I need it great if not so what. I do need it often. Why, because with back-in sites it allows me to park my dually in front of camper no matter where pedestal is located. For pull throughs I can park in front or behind depending on the view I want. The cord is first thing I connect so it doesn't matter what it covers in storage. Google for best price and you won't regret it.
Jim Glasso
jimmyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:29 AM   #28
rlh1957

Off topic… but as part of the registration process why can’t you be locked out from posting questions and responses until all areas and suggested info is given?
No participation until you give your rig year, model, type, tow vehicle, etc?

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:36 AM   #29
JJaxon

The shorter cord the better, especially if you are using several big draw appliances like microwave, air conditioning. If you add extensions you get voltage drop which raises the amp draw. Not good for these appliances.
Best to use the original standard power cord and adjust everything else - hoses, drain, truck parking - to accommodate camp set up.

Make a check list to teach yourself what to do before you make the same repeated mistakes.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:35 PM   #30
Bandit12

Our 27SABWE came with a 30 foot cord that is so stiff when the temp drops to below about 60 degrees, its darn near impossible to coil. Plus it had that frustrating (to me anyway) Connetk twist connection on the trailer end. I bought a 30 foot Camco 50 amp extension cord when we first bought the trailer and I've never used it. Until two weeks ago. I decided to do something about all that. I sacrificed my Camco cord by cutting the female plug off. I replaced that with a Smart Plug, and removed the factory shore power connection on the trailer and replaced that with the RV Smart Plug receptacle. Now the factory cord has a dedicate corner of my storage shed, and the Camco cord is now my primary shore power cord, connecting it is way easier, and coiling the cord now fits in the Stromberg Carlson hose and cord caddy I got. And just to put concerned minds at ease over the angle of the cord coming out of the plug, there is a strain relief built in inside the plug itself. The manufacture states the cord can be bent back 189 degrees without concern for damage or moisture intrusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New plug exteriorLS.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	40649   Click image for larger version

Name:	New plug connected1LS.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	40650  
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:33 PM   #31
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Our 27SABWE came with a 30 foot cord that is so stiff when the temp drops to below about 60 degrees, its darn near impossible to coil. Plus it had that frustrating (to me anyway) Connetk twist connection on the trailer end. I bought a 30 foot Camco 50 amp extension cord when we first bought the trailer and I've never used it. Until two weeks ago. I decided to do something about all that. I sacrificed my Camco cord by cutting the female plug off. I replaced that with a Smart Plug, and removed the factory shore power connection on the trailer and replaced that with the RV Smart Plug receptacle. Now the factory cord has a dedicate corner of my storage shed, and the Camco cord is now my primary shore power cord, connecting it is way easier, and coiling the cord now fits in the Stromberg Carlson hose and cord caddy I got. And just to put concerned minds at ease over the angle of the cord coming out of the plug, there is a strain relief built in inside the plug itself. The manufacture states the cord can be bent back 189 degrees without concern for damage or moisture intrusion.
Well never had an issue with twist lock cord ends, I will say that our 50 amp SOOW able still looks more flexible than your Camco cable. I have packed mine (40’) into its 3 gallon bucket in the snow. This is the trailer end.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #32
Bandit12

Quote:
Well never had an issue with twist lock cord ends, I will say that our 50 amp SOOW able still looks more flexible than your Camco cable. I have packed mine (40’) into its 3 gallon bucket in the snow. This is the trailer end.

At a quick glance, that appears to be a Furrion connector. The cord itself looks way smaller than mine as well. The factory cord was a little over inch in diameter. We had a 30 amp like that on our previous trailer and it was easy to use, and the cord coiled up easily. This is the cord that came with our trailer. After taking this pic, I stretched it out on the sidewalk so I could measure it. I left it there while I installed the Smart Plug on the trailer. The end in the sun was easy to coil, until I got to the 4 or so feet in the shade and it was still stiff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old Cord.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	954.8 KB
ID:	40651  
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:03 PM   #33
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
At a quick glance, that appears to be a Furrion connector. The cord itself looks way smaller than mine as well. The factory cord was a little over inch in diameter. We had a 30 amp like that on our previous trailer and it was easy to use, and the cord coiled up easily. This is the cord that came with our trailer. After taking this pic, I stretched it out on the sidewalk so I could measure it. I left it there while I installed the Smart Plug on the trailer. The end in the sun was easy to coil, until I got to the 4 or so feet in the shade and it was still stiff.
My cable is 6/4 SOOW used on construction sights for connecting temporary power boxes. It is tough yet very flexible, and stays that way even in very cold temperatures.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:46 AM   #34
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I got a 15’ extension from Amazon. So far it’s about right.
yup thats what we did. no issues. the length should be related to your trailer. if your trailer is short >20ft than dont need such a long extension. ours is 33ft. so little more is needed. WE do have extra water and power and 2 sewer hoses. Saves to "hook back up and move 5ft to dump the sewer / power etc"
Old 07-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #35
Reset19

The box was right beside me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	40664  
Reset19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #36
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reset19 View Post
The box was right beside me.
What did that jewel set you back? The price of copper cable is over the top!
Old 07-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #37
dutchmensport

I carry (always) a 25 foot extension 50 amp and a second regular 25 foot 50 amp cord. In addition, I also carry 75 feet of 30 amp cord. I've used it a couple times when we had 30 amp service only.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #38
bgrhrdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Off topic… but as part of the registration process why can’t you be locked out from posting questions and responses until all areas and suggested info is given?
No participation until you give your rig year, model, type, tow vehicle, etc?
Some people may be registered on here to use the site for research or asking questions about a future trailer. And sometimes depending on the question, what they're pulling or pulling it with doesn't matter.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:40 PM   #39
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I carry (always) a 25 foot extension 50 amp and a second regular 25 foot 50 amp cord. In addition, I also carry 75 feet of 30 amp cord. I've used it a couple times when we had 30 amp service only.
Not sure on a 30 amp service I would want to run an AC on 75’ of 10 gauge wire. In my case I installed a 30 amp outlet in my daughters garage. I figured the my current 40’ 50 amp cable would be too short, I was not going to make a 30 amp cable for a 50 amp service. I now have 63’ of 50 amp cable, which should be more than enough.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #40
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
It would sure help if you put together a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same for tow vehicle. Under UserCP and make sure you save it. Next thing is that it would be best to position your camper for hooking up to the pedestal, connect the power cord and then level. That way, the 12V needed for your landing gear isn't relying on your battery and you can't level till you unhook from you tow vehicle.
I an new to this site. I do not know how to put a signature and descriptions on here. Any advice?
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote