Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2022, 07:52 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Try it out before you need it. That's how I found out mine needed the additional wood underneath.

This is really good advice and something I didn't do when I bought my TrailerAid. Found out it wasn't tall enough sitting on the side of the road trying to get the trailer to roll up onto it while placing a 2x4 under it that only wanted to "scoot" along. I carry the Andersen Rapid Jack now (more height) but I also have leveling jacks if I need them - hopefully not.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:35 AM   #22
Army Paladin

If using a jack, you will need to watch out to not drop the jack out from under the axle. By doing this, the equalizer and shackles could flip over and if that would happen it may take 2 jacks to to straighten things out. And yes, this could happen when using the blocks but the blocks do seem to be the easiest and quickest way to take care of the tire change.

2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RLI
Army Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #23
Third Degree

Should you find yourself in a position to have to jack it up, you place at bottle jack under the spring shackle. Slowly jack it up and remember you only need about and inch. You can use a jack stand right next to the jack if you are the nervous type. Of course loosen the lug nuts before you jack it up. Do not put the jack in the middle of the axle or you will bend it. Always watch the tire shop when they go to jack up you trailer. The first thing they will do is bring out the floor jacks. I am standing right there and watch the placement of the jack. You never know when you are going to get the guy who is on his first day.
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:28 PM   #24
rlh1957

We use self level in manual on affected side.
Before we used wood blocks to jack frame and a wood block and bottle jack to the bottom of axle U bolts.
When you jack just frame the axle springs or shock will flex and extend down do the axle snd tire doesn’t move up far enough to get new tire on.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:02 PM   #25
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Try it out before you need it. That's how I found out mine needed the additional wood underneath.
Yes, important!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #26
POBOYPCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Just getting prepared for our first Shake-Down run in September. Not going too far just in case. New tires upon our return. Question... "In Case" of a blowout, is it best to jack up the Frame or the Axle to change out the tire? Owners manual states the Frame but, there are many videos our there showing jack on the Axle. Not sure what is the Right Way or the Best Way. Would like to hear some opinions.
Last time someone jacked up my trailer on the axle I then needed a new axel, the old one bent. It was not good! Why take a chance.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:55 AM   #27
Bamabox

I have to Anderson version of the Trailer Aid, which works well, but if your on anything other than a hard surface like asphalt or concrete it needs a board underneath. I carry to 2x8 4 feet long for that purpose. I use it for packing bearings also instead of jacking.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle