Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2022, 05:41 AM   #41
haiduan

I'm past warranty so I guess I'm on my own. Besides I have no tow vehicle and would have to pay someone to take it to the dealer. I asked if I could get the EOL resistor from Keystone - they said no. If I can find a source for the resistor, I could have a mobile tech or myself do the work. Looked on Amazon, but don't see anything similar. Any sourcing ideas?
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:55 AM   #42
wrvond

McMaster-Carr

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:21 AM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduan View Post
I'm past warranty so I guess I'm on my own. Besides I have no tow vehicle and would have to pay someone to take it to the dealer. I asked if I could get the EOL resistor from Keystone - they said no. If I can find a source for the resistor, I could have a mobile tech or myself do the work. Looked on Amazon, but don't see anything similar. Any sourcing ideas?
From ChuckS earlier post : "EOL terminating resistor value is 120 ohms, 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt will do nicely".

Search "120 ohm 1/4 watt resistor" and you'll find them on Amazon or a dozen other sites. You'll have to identify the plug ( likely made by molenex) and which terminals to attach the resistor to if there's more than 2 contacts on the plug.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:23 PM   #44
Z71

Typical Keystone support

First let me say that this recall only documents Keystone's that are equipped with Coleman Mach A/C units.

2nd, Keystone really doesn't have a clue what is installed on units or the dates when they switch to a different supplier. In my case according to there records it was built with Coleman units but in realty I have 2 Dometic Breeze units.

3rd, After speaking Keystone customer service (who gave me the textbook answer that you must go to a keystone dealer to have them verify the problem and the missing eol resistor before they will do anything. Which by the way is not covered if the unit is out of warranty.

I offered to buy the part but they refused to help saying I needed to take it to a dealer. They could not even give me a part number. This was a total waste of time.

Next I called my local dealer, they to only offer to schedule the unit for service and would not sell me the part either as they had no clue what the part number was or even how to get it. Again fail.

So I called ASA and their tech support gave me the real scoop on these problems. It does boil down to 2 real issues, for Coleman mach these problems are usually associated with the eol resistor plug.

As it is Keystone limited the supply of the part to correct the problem when they purchased every of the resistor plugs that ASA had so don't waste you time trying to get one from them.

I also mentioned to ASA I had a Dometic unit and not the Coleman. I was told that it was possible the eol resistor might be missing but more then likely one of the 2 gateways might be bad.

According to ASA Dometic had a high rate of failures on these gateways causing problems like mentioned in the thread including issues where you will need to powercycle the command to restore access.

Also, for those of you wanted to see if the eol resistor is missing on your dometic unit the gateway box is located under the molded styrofoam cover that lives just under the molded fiberglass cover on the roof of the 5th wheel. Don't waste you time looking under the return air register, you can't to get to it from there.

I have yet to climb up there and disassemble the unit to check it out but will hopefully before I go out on the next trip.

One last thing, even though I contacted Keystone when I purchased my Cougar from a dealer and registered it in my name they said the first owner was still registered so if your waiting for a recall notice you may never get it as again their records suck as outlined earlier in this post.

I will get to the bottom of this issues, it's just sad that one of the largest RV manufactures are so inept and unwilling to support their customers as they should.

Kudos to Harold at ASA, no only did he give me the real scoop in detail but also provided the support info to correct the problem in my case should it not be an eol termination on my Dometics.

When I originally purchased my Cougar I was excited about having the In-Command system but now I am thinking a simple thermostat on the wall is a much better way to go. It's like an over engineered German car neat initially but when the problems start it becomes an expensive nightmare.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:51 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
First let me say that this recall only documents Keystone's that are equipped with Coleman Mach A/C units.

2nd, Keystone really doesn't have a clue what is installed on units or the dates when they switch to a different supplier. In my case according to there records it was built with Coleman units but in realty I have 2 Dometic Breeze units.

3rd, After speaking Keystone customer service (who gave me the textbook answer that you must go to a keystone dealer to have them verify the problem and the missing eol resistor before they will do anything. Which by the way is not covered if the unit is out of warranty.

I offered to buy the part but they refused to help saying I needed to take it to a dealer. They could not even give me a part number. This was a total waste of time.

Next I called my local dealer, they to only offer to schedule the unit for service and would not sell me the part either as they had no clue what the part number was or even how to get it. Again fail.

So I called ASA and their tech support gave me the real scoop on these problems. It does boil down to 2 real issues, for Coleman mach these problems are usually associated with the eol resistor plug.

As it is Keystone limited the supply of the part to correct the problem when they purchased every of the resistor plugs that ASA had so don't waste you time trying to get one from them.

I also mentioned to ASA I had a Dometic unit and not the Coleman. I was told that it was possible the eol resistor might be missing but more then likely one of the 2 gateways might be bad.

According to ASA Dometic had a high rate of failures on these gateways causing problems like mentioned in the thread including issues where you will need to powercycle the command to restore access.

Also, for those of you wanted to see if the eol resistor is missing on your dometic unit the gateway box is located under the molded styrofoam cover that lives just under the molded fiberglass cover on the roof of the 5th wheel. Don't waste you time looking under the return air register, you can't to get to it from there.

I have yet to climb up there and disassemble the unit to check it out but will hopefully before I go out on the next trip.

One last thing, even though I contacted Keystone when I purchased my Cougar from a dealer and registered it in my name they said the first owner was still registered so if your waiting for a recall notice you may never get it as again their records suck as outlined earlier in this post.

I will get to the bottom of this issues, it's just sad that one of the largest RV manufactures are so inept and unwilling to support their customers as they should.

Kudos to Harold at ASA, no only did he give me the real scoop in detail but also provided the support info to correct the problem in my case should it not be an eol termination on my Dometics.

When I originally purchased my Cougar I was excited about having the In-Command system but now I am thinking a simple thermostat on the wall is a much better way to go. It's like an over engineered German car neat initially but when the problems start it becomes an expensive nightmare.

Many are "excited" about InCommand until they use it and encounter all its faults. I explicitly said I would not buy an RV with InCommand due to the inherent problems with it. I do not have the issues InCommand owners have...at all.

Buying a 2nd hand trailer leaves the buyer holding the bag for many things; it's not a new trailer and you don't get the warranties nor treatment of the original owner if dealing with a dealer - that's just real life. Assess what you have, realize you own the situation then grab the bull by the horns and take care of it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:13 AM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe the Dometic air conditioners have a 2 year warranty on the entire unit ?? That might have changed recently, but I'd check the actual warranty documents in the owner's manual that came with the trailer (blue folder with all that "fire starter paper").. You might be able to get some help by doing an "end run around Keystone"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:47 AM   #47
wrvond

It's still early days, but I haven't had any problems with the In·Command system. I find it helpful to be able to monitor and operate various systems using my phone. Simple things like flushing the tanks is made a bit less stressful because I can stand at the valves and monitor the water levels as I flush instead of running around and up the steps to look at a panel. Slide operation is easier too. Whether performing adjustments or simply watching to ensure the slide doesn't contact the pedestal etc. at the site. Being able to turn on the lights inside when approaching the camper at night never fails to please - climbing the steps with the lights turned on is so much easier and safer. In the "olden days" higher end units had switches in the kitchen and the bathroom to be able to turn on the water pump - with In·Command I can turn it on from anywhere. Monitoring solar and battery state of charge from my phone is another benefit. The list goes on. Earlier versions certainly have problems, but I think the Global In·Command has pretty much arrived as the technology has matured in this application. I have found that the problems I've had with In·Command and Ground Control 3.0 have all been self inflicted.
I do feel that the installation by workers that use hammers as hole saws is the Achille's Heel of the system. Black boxing the system is about the best the manufacturers can hope to do, I think. Even then, the wires are still vulnerable.
It is an axiom that if electronics are going to fail it's generally going to be in the first six months. After that, barring extreme mistreatment, they'll last indefinitely.
I remember when Chrysler introduced canbus in their vehicles - the villagers were ready to take up torches and pitch forks in response to all the problems the system had. But by 1996 the system was dead reliable and ubiquitous.
I believe there is room in our lifestyle for people that prefer to camp under a tarp stretched between two trees as well as people that tour the country in a ten wheeled castle with six slides. I don't think every TT or 5er will (or should) have In·Command, but it's working for me (so far) and I certainly like the concept.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:28 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

I stay away from the "latest and greattest" tech and let the manufacturers learn on other consumer's money. Vehichle electronics are no different. ALL the auto mfg's had issues with the beginning on board computers, especially with throttle body injection and emissions.

I used to be of the mindset with electronics that if it lasts 6 months it'll last 6 years. Not any more for me. The newest desktop computer the motherboard failed after 18 months. It's used gently (no gaming or overclocking) and is connected to a power conditioner battery back up system. I had a Samsung TV power board fail after 3 years of very light use. That particular model had a known cold solder issue on the power module. It was an easy fix but point being it showed up 3 yrs later and reportedly most of them failed after about a year of use. I had a top line Onkyo 7.2 reciever with a failure of the HDMI switching board that showed up at about 30 months. It wasn't abused but it became a known issue. I replaced it with a Yamaha reciever as Onhyo lost my trust.

From my experience buying the first generation of any electronics (including software) is not my first choice. I might line up for ver 2 after sufficiant time has passed to prove reliability and the price comes down. JMHO, YMMV
Old 06-17-2022, 04:47 AM   #49
wrvond

For those still looking, I came across this at Trekwood:

https://www.trekwood.com/products/15...tor-In-Command

The price is $11.12 - no indication of stock status.
Looking at the picture you can see it's a four pin Molex type connector with the resistor connecting the two pins opposite the locking clip. Wouldn't be too hard to manufacture but eleven bucks ready to go is hard to beat if it's really available.

Old 06-17-2022, 04:56 AM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post

Looking at the picture you can see it's a four pin Molex type connector with the resistor connecting the two pins opposite the locking clip. Wouldn't be too hard to manufacture but eleven bucks ready to go is hard to beat if it's really available.
Thanks for sharing the info! I agree that's a reasonable cost for those not having any supplies. By the time you order the plug, the resistor, and the hear shrink tubing and the associated S&H it may cost more to DIY it.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:58 AM   #51
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post

The entire EOL resistor and plug is worth maybe $1 at most... even in todays over priced market...

Folks should not jump on the EOL resistor as being the issue... You need to look at the LAST device in the CANBUS loop... usually Zone 2 roof AC unit and see if the terminating resistor is plugged into the gateway

If so and you are still curious then simply remove the EOL plug in and turn on the multi meter and ohm the plug to verify the resistor value and that it has not opened up

If the EOL terminating resistor is not in place the system would have never worked right from day one.. period

In Command concept is not something brand new in the RV world...

CANBUS has been used now for many years in the RV world... Under many different system names

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:47 AM   #52
haiduan

WRVOND - Thanks much. Am in the process of ordering. Waiting or a response on shipping costs.
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:57 AM   #53
4Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduan View Post
WRVOND - Thanks much. Am in the process of ordering. Waiting or a response on shipping costs.
Have you found where it is even located in a Alpine? If so is yours missing?
4Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #54
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Buck View Post
Have you found where it is even located in a Alpine? If so is yours missing?
If your Alpine has Global In Command version NCS3P the first image shows where the EOL terminating resistor is.. it’s located on the BCM because it’s the last item in the CANBUS Line

I think people are jumping the gun 9n the EOL resistor.. you need to locate where yours is first..

Most Alpines with earlier version of In Command “Not the Global Connect Version” the EOL terminating resistor is located on Zone 2 gateway..

Folks need to do some reading, learn what they have or don’t have and where the components actually are located before spending money on parts they don’t even know if they need.. much less where it goes..

The RV-C protocol CANBUS is NOT NEW .. it s just new to Keystone products.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B035FFD-367C-4884-ACBD-04847B37B2D2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	40305  

Old 06-26-2022, 05:05 PM   #55
zachbon

I have a 2020 30RLS and have not recvd anything from Keystone. Both AC's work as designed. Perhaps it is only certain VINs?
Old 06-26-2022, 06:31 PM   #56
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbon View Post
I have a 2020 30RLS and have not recvd anything from Keystone. Both AC's work as designed. Perhaps it is only certain VINs?
I believe the notice from Keystone regarding the EOL resistor issue affected 2021-22 model year trailers. There is a pic of the notice in this thread.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:14 AM   #57
ChuckS

I hope folks don’t jump the gun on this stupid EOL resistor .. most likely it is not the issue at all..

Tags
incommand