Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

auto level sound bar?

We are streaming in our camper. We bought a sound bar to overcome the miserable sound on our Element television (cheapest at Walmart). Problem is, when streaming, the sound level turned to a comfortable level during a show BLASTS during commercials and varies a great deal from show to show. The TV has output RCA jacks and HDMI but no bluetooth. We connect to the TV from our soundbar via the microphone jack. I don't really want to buy either a new soundbar or television but muting the TV constantly when commercials blast or the show has a super loud into is a pain.

Not sure if there is a soundbar with auto level capability that we can connect to or need to buy a TV with that capability. Ideas?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
Roper46

Have you tried connecting via the HDMI ?
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:35 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
We are streaming in our camper. We bought a sound bar to overcome the miserable sound on our Element television (cheapest at Walmart). Problem is, when streaming, the sound level turned to a comfortable level during a show BLASTS during commercials and varies a great deal from show to show. The TV has output RCA jacks and HDMI but no bluetooth. We connect to the TV from our soundbar via the microphone jack. I don't really want to buy either a new soundbar or television but muting the TV constantly when commercials blast or the show has a super loud into is a pain.

Not sure if there is a soundbar with auto level capability that we can connect to or need to buy a TV with that capability. Ideas?
The soundbar doesn't have line level inputs? Not that it would likely make a difference but it might make it sound better . The commercial blasting is irritating but if the TV or the soundbar doesn't have the volume clipping ability I don't know of any reasonable (cost wise) alternative.

Both TVs and soundbars are available with the technology but I doubtful that it will be found in the "economy" brands or the low end models of the better brands.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:43 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not aware of anything either. The feds were going to address the situation of the blasting ads on network TV but don't think anything has happened on that front. One of the many reasons I don't watch network TV any longer.

My vehicles adjust the volume based on the ambient noise/speed etc. but I don't think there's an RV TV or audio system that does that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:12 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I've never heard of this brand so am unaware of their reputation but they advertise this ability in a $100 soundbar. https://zvox.com/collections/accuvoi...uvoice-speaker
Old 05-28-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

George I've never heard of Zvox either but it sounds like one of the features is right up your alley. They've been doing speakers for 20 years and, for me, one of the most important aspects of Zvox is that their VP of product development is Jarl Salmela who was largely responsible for the development of the Cambridge Soundworks speaker systems and they were darn good. Might be your best option.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:05 PM   #7
Canonman

Knowing how much George "trusts and admires" the Federal Government, here's this:

Quick Facts
Q: Does the FCC currently regulate loud commercials?
A: Yes. The Commission adopted rules on December 13, 2011 that require commercials to have the same average volume as the programs they accompany. The rules became effective on December 13, 2012, one year after the date of their adoption. Broadcast television stations and pay TV providers were given until this date to be in full compliance.

Q: What does the CALM Act require the FCC to do?
A: Specifically, the CALM Act directs the Commission to establish rules that require TV stations, cable operators, satellite TV providers or other multichannel video program distributors (MVPDs) to apply the Advanced Television Systems Committee's (ATSC) A/85 Recommended Practice ("ATSC A/85 RP") to commercial advertisements they transmit to viewers.

Q: What is the ATSC A/85 Recommended Practice?
A: The ATSC A/85 RP is a set of methods to measure and control the audio loudness of digital programming, including commercials. This standard can be used by all broadcast television stations and pay TV providers.

Q: When did the rules take effect?
A: The Commission's rules became effective one year after their adoption, on December 13, 2012.

Q: What can I do about loud commercials?
A: Provide the FCC with specific information about TV commercials that seem louder than the programming they accompany by filing a complaint. You may also submit a complaint to the relevant TV station, pay TV provider, programming network or advertiser to convey your concern.

Q: What will the FCC do with my complaint?
A: We will evaluate individual complaints that provide specific information about the commercial in question and track them to determine if there are patterns or trends that suggest a need for enforcement action.

Or maybe an upgraded soundbar with this feature:

Go to settings and look for volume or loudness control, automatic gain control, audio compression, or audio limiters. These can be adjusted to provide a “more consistent volume level across programs and commercials,” according to the FCC.Jul 17, 2018
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:00 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm not aware of anything either. The feds were going to address the situation of the blasting ads on network TV but don't think anything has happened on that front. One of the many reasons I don't watch network TV any longer.

My vehicles adjust the volume based on the ambient noise/speed etc. but I don't think there's an RV TV or audio system that does that.
Doubt I will wait for the feds to jump into sound levels. Best they stick to things they are good at... I will have to think about what they are good at (if helping spend my money is good, they are good at that) because nothing else comes to mind right now.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:08 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Knowing how much George "trusts and admires" the Federal Government, here's this:

Quick Facts
Q: Does the FCC currently regulate loud commercials?
A: Yes. The Commission adopted rules on December 13, 2011 that require commercials to have the same average volume as the programs they accompany. The rules became effective on December 13, 2012, one year after the date of their adoption. Broadcast television stations and pay TV providers were given until this date to be in full compliance.

Q: What does the CALM Act require the FCC to do?
A: Specifically, the CALM Act directs the Commission to establish rules that require TV stations, cable operators, satellite TV providers or other multichannel video program distributors (MVPDs) to apply the Advanced Television Systems Committee's (ATSC) A/85 Recommended Practice ("ATSC A/85 RP") to commercial advertisements they transmit to viewers.

Q: What is the ATSC A/85 Recommended Practice?
A: The ATSC A/85 RP is a set of methods to measure and control the audio loudness of digital programming, including commercials. This standard can be used by all broadcast television stations and pay TV providers.

Q: When did the rules take effect?
A: The Commission's rules became effective one year after their adoption, on December 13, 2012.

Q: What can I do about loud commercials?
A: Provide the FCC with specific information about TV commercials that seem louder than the programming they accompany by filing a complaint. You may also submit a complaint to the relevant TV station, pay TV provider, programming network or advertiser to convey your concern.

Q: What will the FCC do with my complaint?
A: We will evaluate individual complaints that provide specific information about the commercial in question and track them to determine if there are patterns or trends that suggest a need for enforcement action.

Or maybe an upgraded soundbar with this feature:

Go to settings and look for volume or loudness control, automatic gain control, audio compression, or audio limiters. These can be adjusted to provide a “more consistent volume level across programs and commercials,” according to the FCC.Jul 17, 2018
Well, my current soundbar does have a volume control and a mute. I might call the FCC Tuesday morning and list all the commercials that blast 10x louder then the programming... bet they investigate right away...

Actually, not only commercials but when we binge watch many tv series, the cool intro where they play music and have a montage of images is usually 10x louder than the actual program content. Will look into the zvox soundbar and possibly an upgrade tv that has modern inputs.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:25 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Well, my current soundbar does have a volume control and a mute. I might call the FCC Tuesday morning and list all the commercials that blast 10x louder then the programming... bet they investigate right away...

Actually, not only commercials but when we binge watch many tv series, the cool intro where they play music and have a montage of images is usually 10x louder than the actual program content. Will look into the zvox soundbar and possibly an upgrade tv that has modern inputs.
the FCC is right down the hall from the “mattress tag agency” and the dept of “why do trailer tires blow up”
Old 05-29-2022, 06:16 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Hey George, while you have them on the phone..... file a complaint for me about the "car warranty insurance" calls I've been getting. I think robo calls were outlawed as well. OH, OH, almost forgot! Also tell them that since we got our 5g phones the Bradford Pear trees haven't born any fruit and I'm constantly seeing Jamie "JJ" Walker yelling about SOMETHING being FREEEEEE!

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Old 05-31-2022, 02:31 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
NO! NO! PALEAAAAAAAAAAASE NO!:nonono :