Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2022, 10:22 AM   #1
malibu43

USB charge port output

Hey everyone. We have a 2021 Passport 219BHWE. I noticed on our current trip that the 2 usb charging ports on each side of the Murphy bed get a "check your charge connection" message when we plug our phones in and charge very slowly. The USB ports at the switch panel and in each of the rear bunks don't result in this message. I used an app on the phone to see that the two at the Murphy bed are outputting 100-400 ma when the phones are plugged in. The other USB ports all charge at about 1200ma. This is when plugged in to 30amp shore power. Got same results with two different cables and two different phones.

What would cause this? Is it a wiring issue at the front of the trailer? Or coincidence that both USB ports at the front are bad? Or is this as intended (not sure why that would be)?

Thanks
malibu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:07 AM   #2
Weldon

I started getting that pop up a week ago at home on my personal as well as work phone. I just figured it was from a software update for Android. Phones still charge fine, so I clicked "do not show again" and forgot it. You can buy new USB port chargers on Amazon and upgrade the ones in your camper if you want. I did that a year ago.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:28 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post
Hey everyone. We have a 2021 Passport 219BHWE. I noticed on our current trip that the 2 usb charging ports on each side of the Murphy bed get a "check your charge connection" message when we plug our phones in and charge very slowly. The USB ports at the switch panel and in each of the rear bunks don't result in this message. I used an app on the phone to see that the two at the Murphy bed are outputting 100-400 ma when the phones are plugged in. The other USB ports all charge at about 1200ma. This is when plugged in to 30amp shore power. Got same results with two different cables and two different phones.

What would cause this? Is it a wiring issue at the front of the trailer? Or coincidence that both USB ports at the front are bad? Or is this as intended (not sure why that would be)?

Thanks
As you have discovered all USB ports are not created equal. They are color coded indicating their standard. The color is on the inside of the plug and the recptical on the plastic "blade" or insulator. The latest "fast" chargers have a USB C connection and offer higher amperage to charge more demanding smart phones, tablets, and some laptops. Apple I beleive still uses the proprietary "lightning" connection.

The USB receptical in the wall takes 12v dc and converts it to 5 vdc and the circuitry inside limits the ampacity. The lower charge rate should not harm your phone/device but I would verify that with the mfg. There have been some recent threads on this subject so if you search USB you should get some reading material.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

The ones next to my bed are 2.4a at 5vdc output which equates to 12 watts of charging. My iPhone wall charger is a 40 watt, so you can see that the factory installed ports are hardly adequate. I replaced mine with higher power ports for our phones, kid’s tablet and my wireless hotspot, all of which command more juice than the factory ports are capable of providing
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
usb