Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2022, 06:43 AM   #1
jxnbbl

Inverter/charger question

Im about to add an inverter to my system based on the attached diagram. This is a Xantrex XC 2000. I have all the correct wiring, etc. but just noticed that this charges the batteries when AC is present. If I blindly do this install. I will end up with 510W of solar (on a controller), the converter and the inverter potentially charging the batteries. My gut feel does not trust this.

Where I've been trying to figure out how to disable the charging. I thought maybe I could abandon the converter and just let the inverter/charger installed in my passthrough to the charging work.

I've never thought about how the converter is wired into the tailer. Before I venture on this investigation I thought I would post here for input.

thanks
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:04 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

There's no attachment.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:23 AM   #3
jxnbbl

Diagram

Let me try again….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39144955-1959-408A-9EBE-1DBA5182CC93.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	39662  
Old 05-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #4
sahively

What do you not trust exactly? It's not necessarily "bad" to have a charger and a solar controller attempting to simultaneously charge your batteries. That setup is pretty common. The one thing I wouldn't trust in this chart is a mere 2-gauge wire running from the battery to an inverter capable of over a 150 amp draw (unless the inverter is RIGHT next to the batteries but even then I'd probably size up to a 1 gauge at least). Just my two cents.
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:40 PM   #5
Essvar

Your solar charge controller should manage this potential issue. I only have 300w incoming solar but when plugged in my charge controller doesn’t allow overcharging. Using the same FreedomXC 2000
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:35 AM   #6
jxnbbl

The modifications necessary to that keystone drawing are being made for the inverter I used will be using is 00 (2/0). The other part is the location, for the prewiring location, it is in the pass through as close as you can really get to the batteries...this is vs the alternative, for this type of inverter, to replace the converter which is at the other end of the trailer 20+ feet away from the prep location.

I'm just concerned about the battery bank as each of these "charging sources" have their own algorithms for the battery type. If I just use this diagram I will have the converter, inverter and solar controller all charging the batteries.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:41 AM   #7
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
Your solar charge controller should manage this potential issue. I only have 300w incoming solar but when plugged in my charge controller doesn’t allow overcharging. Using the same FreedomXC 2000
Thanks, I'm not as worried about the solar controller as I know that once the batteries are full (from today's converter charge...or the sun) it just shuts down.

Someone else (in another forum) suggested that I just disconnect the converter since when connected to shore power as long as I have the breaker on to this circuit - the power will got to the inverter transfer switch, passing through the circuit and turning on the 'charge capability'. So effectively it is just replacing the converter in charging.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:57 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Thanks, I'm not as worried about the solar controller as I know that once the batteries are full (from today's converter charge...or the sun) it just shuts down.

Someone else (in another forum) suggested that I just disconnect the converter since when connected to shore power as long as I have the breaker on to this circuit - the power will got to the inverter transfer switch, passing through the circuit and turning on the 'charge capability'. So effectively it is just replacing the converter in charging.
can you disconnect the converter? i may be wrong but i thought the keystone converter unit is a converter/charger…maybe just disable the oem charger circuit…i believe you still need the converter to handle the shore power 12 volt load along with the batteries for proper slide operation.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:43 AM   #9
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
can you disconnect the converter? i may be wrong but i thought the keystone converter unit is a converter/charger…maybe just disable the oem charger circuit…i believe you still need the converter to handle the shore power 12 volt load along with the batteries for proper slide operation.
I don't know the answer and this just a followup question on this post.

I assume that I might be able to disconnect the AC connection on the trailers converter which will shut down the charging capability and leave the 12V connection that ends up at the batteries. The circuitry dependencies should all work, since this is the same as the operation when boondocking without a generator.

Someone pointed out in another forum that IF I don't disable this I should look at two things:

1. configure the charging amps differently- by default they go up to 80A, but configurable to 5A in 5A increments.

2. Look at configuring the 'ignition shutoff switch' - this normally takes a fused 12V signal from a car/trucks ignition switch to turn on/off the inverter depending if the ignition is on. I guess I could hook up a transformer to the line side of the AC circuit which would produce 12V if activated to toggle this.

Anyways since if #2 doesn't work it work it looks like the only way I can do this is manually and should I be concerned with the converter as well as the inverter pumping amps to the batteries simultaneously....or am I over thinking?

thanks
Old 05-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #10
jxnbbl

Just and update on this as I got a call from the Xantrex XC 2000 folks. The only way to stop both the inverter and charging functions is to hit the on/off button. They claim that that I'm over worrying (my words) that their unit will turn off when it senses the batteries are charged.

The unit has an ignition operating option, that only allows it to work in a few modes when the ignition switch is on. In discussions in another forum I was thinking of hooking up a normally open relay that when the AC was on it would be open and not allow that unit to work...when OFF it would close and send a 12V source to this accessory port. I've been told that would not work as even when the ignition switch is off, if the inverter/converter senses AC it will charge.

After I get it installed I'll test all this out and post again.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:33 AM   #11
Swanni67

Finished inverter install

Just finished mine.

The romex is just a loop that comes from shore power.

I installed a xantrex 8080915 prowatt sw auto switcher.

Works great to auto switch from shore power to solar automatically.

Also install on/off switch, new cables to battery, new fuse.

Not really inverter propped.

I can send more details if needed
Swanni67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:36 AM   #12
Swanni67

Have you finished yet? I just finished mine. Let me know and I can help out.
The xantrex prowatt auto switch solved all my issues
Swanni67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter