Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
scpdkp0424

Keystone Cable Slides

I have a 2015 Keystone Sprinter. I really like except that I have been having a lot of problems with the cables on the big slide. I would like to know if is even possible to convert the cable slide system on the big slide to a rack and pinion slide system? Is it even worth the trouble?
scpdkp0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! I doubt a conversion is feasible. What kind of problems are you having?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Most anything, given enough time and money is possible. I don't think it would be worth either. It's typically far easier to rectify a problem with proper repairs then it is to re-engineer and rebuild an existing system. What are the issues with the cable system?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Most anything, given enough time and money is possible. I don't think it would be worth either. It's typically far easier to rectify a problem with proper repairs then it is to re-engineer and rebuild an existing system. What are the issues with the cable system?
Yup!!! Pay us enough and we will make it happen

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #5
scpdkp0424

Cable conversion to rack and pinion.

the cables are continually loosening up., no matter how many times I adjust them. Last year, on a trip, the chain motor totally blew out of the wall and the slide almost fell out of the RV. I fixed it with the help of some 20 ton jacks and my brother. I'm just tired of all of the incidents with the large slide.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #6
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpdkp0424 View Post
the cables are continually loosening up., no matter how many times I adjust them. Last year, on a trip, the chain motor totally blew out of the wall and the slide almost fell out of the RV. I fixed it with the help of some 20 ton jacks and my brother. I'm just tired of all of the incidents with the large slide.
Let me ask you a question. It sounds like you've done more than just one or two adjustments to the cables, at least that is what I will assume from your comment. At any time while doing adjustments did you see anything on the adjustment rods that actually "lock" the adjustment in place when you've finished making the adjustment? When I owned my Fuzion Impact, the "locking" device was a piece of foam that was supposed to keep the adjustment nut from backing off. I literally laughed out loud, after I got done cursing the stupidity of that arrangement. Before I went any further, I stopped what I was doing, walked back into my workshop and grabbed sixteen 1/4-20 lock nuts and put them on the threaded rod adjuster. When the adjustment was done, and everything was working properly, I tightened down all the lock nuts and never had another issue with coming out of adjustment.....not even enough cable stretch to matter. Of course, 16 lock nuts was 8 per slide...times two slides.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #7
scpdkp0424

Thanks for the idea. I put the additional nuts on yesterday.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpdkp0424 View Post
Thanks for the idea. I put the additional nuts on yesterday.
Good job, that makes one less place for the cables to cause an issue. Everyone seems to be concerned with "cable stretch", and I'm sure it does happen over time, but the adjustment coming loose because of no way to lock down the adjustment was 10 times more of an issue that cable stretch. Hope it works for you.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, keystone, slide