Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

In 1972, DW, our 2 YO DW and I were headed to Steamboat Springs for Elk season. Berthoud Pass was closed because of the snow storms, but Eisenhower Tunnel which was under construction, had the westbound bore open to 2 way traffic as construction continued on the eastbound bore which was about 500' "down the mountain". We got to Glenwood Springs and I70 was closed to all vehicles without chains, so I chained up the back axle on the truck (2WD Dodge) and we headed up the mountain to the tunnel towing our 20' Jayco. It was snowing "like stink" as we approached the tunnel, got inside and everything was great. We exited the west entrance to a TERRIBLE storm, 2-3' of snow on the sides of the road on top of the 2-3' of ice that was already there. We started down the mountain, in second gear, but that was WAY TOO FAST, so I tapped the brake controller and nothing happened, so I tapped the truck brakes and nothing happened. There was enough ice under the snow that we had NO traction.... We started around the first right hand curve in the right lane and wound up exiting that curve on the left shoulder. All that was between us and that 500' dropoff was some saw horses with smudge pots burning on top of them (the old fashioned version of today's orange safety barrels). I knew I was in trouble, so I had to get the rig slowed down. I tapped the trailer brakes again and they caught in the rough ice on the shoulder and I managed to steer into the right lane (as far from that cliff as I could get).....

Before the next curve, which was much sharper, I knew I had to get slowed down, so I gently tapped the brakes and the brake controller at the same time and we started spinning. Either two or three complete circles and as the back of the trailer hit the ice bank on the cliff shoulder, somehow we managed to wind up stopped, looking over the edge of the cliff at all the pavement trucks that were waiting to start laying concrete when the storm cleared.

I looked at DW who was as white as I've ever seen her and DD was still sleeping in the carseat between us. Not that her old carseat with the tray and the steering wheel would have done much to protect her from that cliff. In fact, looking back, I can't remember if that truck even had seat belts as OEM, but the Air Force required us to install them, but use them ????

It was a much different time back then, but some of the risks people take are so very much the same today as they were "way back when".....

Little did I know that chains on a travel trailer may have prevented all that from happening. When I got a chance, I looked up the Colorado chain law and what they "intended but didn't say in terms I understood" was "chains on all vehicles" included chains on all "towed vehicles" as well as on the primary vehicle..... So, I was "half right but completley wrong" in chaining up the truck and heading up the mountain....

Moral of my story: When Berthoud Pass is closed, don't "head up Eisenhower thinking it'll be OK on the other side because it's not closed yet".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:04 PM   #22
Berdan

Glad you and your RV survived that. I am sure the experience was not quite as bad as Robin Williams in "RV" (toward the end of the movie). If you have not already seen it, rent or stream it. It is a funny movie as it exaggerates almost every bad experience one can have in an RV.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
2020 Silverado LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
Berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #23
HDroadglide

I use google maps and pull the little man down on the roads to see what they look like and if he doesn't show me the road I don't go that way at all.
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:27 AM   #24
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettikka View Post
I ended up where I should not have been ... Roads were tight turns and narrow with no shoulder. ... trucks were not recommended to go any further. Couldn't turn around and it couldn't get worse right? We pressed on, then the sign came that the pavement ended, we pressed on, gravel road ...grade from 10% to 30%. Engine and transmission got hot ..
Well, give yourself some credit here! You might have been led up a path that resulted in some very tedious and challenging driving.... BUT!!!! You made it and came out the other side. You didn't say you damaged the trailer and you used your wits when your truck over-heated. You didn't have any accidents, you navigated a very difficult path, and you came out the other side unscathed. You were successful. I say... you did pretty darn good! Give yourself credit here, where credit is deserved, your driving skills were challenged to the max and you were successful! Good job!