Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2022, 12:56 AM   #1
Marty59

tank readings

I have a 2019 Cougar 22RBS and this is my first trip and none of my tank readings are correct- even with the black tank drained it shows 1/4 full and the same for the water supply tank, filled it and it initially showed full yet when I parked trailer now it only shows1/4 full. I have no idea where Ian at with readings and I am in a electric only spot. Any help is greatly appreciated by this newbie
Marty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:38 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Marty, most of us have experienced the notoriously inaccurate tank readings. Tanks have electrical probes inserted; both a ground and hot voltage probes. Fluid touching each will cause the circuit to close and the idiot lights on your monitor panel to light. I have replaced ALL the probes, the wiring and the monitor panel and mine still have never displayed properly. I have learned to gauge how full my tanks are by experience but your situation is made more difficult by not being able to dump the tanks.

If you are not comfortable camping without accurate gauge readings, perhaps camp somewhere else (I know this isn't a great answer) or install a more accurate tank monitor system. Perhaps:
https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Probel...f_=as_li_ss_tl

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garne.../709P-1004.htm
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:33 AM   #3
dutchmensport

Totally agree with wiredgeorge (above). Tank sensors are pretty much useless. I do keep mine working pretty good (4 trailers) but it's an ongoing battle. I've been fortunate my fresh water sensors work pretty well. But 99% of the time, I just know when it's time to fill or dump.

We never hook up directly to shore water. Even when we have shore water available, I fill my fresh water tank and we always pump from there. No need for water pressure gages and if anything is left on, leaking, or breaks, we'll hear the water pump running and I know immediately something is wrong .... before the trailer gets flooded.

I've learned by simply using the camper when it's time to dump. I have a 32 gallon Barker Blue tote to haul waste to the dump station, or at home to haul to my septic tank. It's real important not to overfill the 32 gallon tank with a 50 gallon holding tank. The overflow is a horrible mess to clean up.

We also have a washing machine installed, and I know it uses 8 gallons of water for each load. We can take 6 showers, the Ice Maker used about 1/3 gallon of water every 24 hours, and the kitchen sink can usually go 3 days between dumps. (Dishwashing is our highest water usage, more than showers.

I've measured all these things by dumping the tanks completely, then (for example), run the washing machine and then catch the output at the sewer drain in a bucket and mark the gallons. Again, all so I'd know how much is being used so the Blue Tote will not over spill.

Another thing that greatly aided the process was to pick up a small water meter that I keep attached permanently to my fresh water intake. When dumping tanks, I always add water to the fresh tank first. The meter will tell me how much water was used from the last fill up. If the fill up is under 32 gallons, I know, whichever tank I dump, it will not be more than 32 gallons. If under 32 gallons, I can comfortably dump all 3 (black tank, kitchen grey, shower grey) and not over fill the tote.

Getting the water meter was one of the better things I did. Combined with ... just experience and time learning how much water we use .... it serves as a great aid.

But, those sensors ... pretty much useless. .... Learn to get along without them and get "in tune" with the flow of your camper.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:35 AM   #4
spicercars

I have had many rvs and I have never seen tank monitors that are even close. Welcome from northern MN.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #5
Scttw

They only work when they are brand new and filled for the first time, after that the gray and black never work again.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I was bothered by my tank sensors not reading correctly.

First thing I did was install Horst Miracle Probes. These have little hoods that keep stuff from clinging to the probes. Still didn't work.

Contacted Horst customer support and they told me to measure resistance between probes (can't recall values but they checked out fine). Next thing I did was to install a completely new wiring harness that goes up to the idiot light gauge. That didn't work.

I then bought a new idiot light gauge which was a direct replacement. The lights still were nowhere near accurate.

I am stubborn but there wasn't anything left to replace so now I have fairly new tank monitoring system that works as poorly as when I got the camper. We have smallish tanks and I have learned to dump every other day or when my wife screams at me that the shower drain is backing up as she showers. The shower dumps into the black tank. The situation becomes dire if I don't react immediately.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #7
Balvar24

The suggestion to not use shore water is solid. I've been looking at a water meter as well, just because.

On our new unit last year, my gauge lights worked ok for about 1 week into a 2 week trip. On the last leg of the trip, the gauges read everything full, regardless.

After I got home, emptied and dried everything out, everything went back to normal for the next trip.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:52 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Marty you said it's your first trip with the rig and the little sensors don't work right. How long are you going to be gone, and how many people are using the holding tanks? How big are they (holding tanks)? As far as the monitors I've never had one that stayed accurate for any appreciable time.

Like others said, you have to get a feel (by ear/sight) for what your tank levels are. Get some time in the trailer while camped and you will know when your tanks are about to be full.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:52 AM   #9
jxnbbl

Related question. Since the underside of my trailer is 'covered' and I can't look at the tank. What type of sensors are usually used in the newest 2020-2021 trailers for Keystone. Are the inserted into the tank and/or surface/exterior mount?

Although I can get the sensors to work it is only 50% of the time and most of the time I have to prep to get them to work by putting in 5-10 gal of water and prior to leaving a park and letting it slosh around to be emptied upon arrival of the next park.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:50 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Related question. Since the underside of my trailer is 'covered' and I can't look at the tank. What type of sensors are usually used in the newest 2020-2021 trailers for Keystone. Are the inserted into the tank and/or surface/exterior mount?

Although I can get the sensors to work it is only 50% of the time and most of the time I have to prep to get them to work by putting in 5-10 gal of water and prior to leaving a park and letting it slosh around to be emptied upon arrival of the next park.
Someone more experienced can answer the "type" question with authority but I suspect they use the same inexpensive wire stuck the side that they've used for decades. Your second paragraph on tank prep is good practice, especially for the black tank(s). Think of it like mixing a powdered drink mix in a bottle. The solids sink to the bottom of the bottle until you shake it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:07 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

I tend to avoid these threads as everyone says tank sensors are essentially a joke. Every trailer I have owned and worked in has had working sensors and fairly accurate.

The only thing necessary is keeping the sensors clean. There are numerous products and many different methods of cleaning them. I suspect Keystone along with a majority of RV manufacturers still use the screw in or spin welded metal ones.
https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Screw-...06170132&psc=1

They can be replaced with these:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Treatmen...nt=30%20-%2060

There is also external monitors:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ontent=General

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:20 AM   #12
notanlines

What Chuckster said^^^^^. 7 years in a Raptor and 5 in the Suites and no gauge problems.
Use the black tank flush and grey if available regularly and no problems.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:21 AM   #13
jxnbbl

Personally I blame my wife...uses too much TP!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:33 AM   #14
Marty59

We are on the road for 2 months visiting family. Just the wife and me and currently in a state park with only electric. Tried filling water up but the gauge said full and when I parked it was only 1/4 full. Guess I have to get a water gauge to know how much water I put in. As a related question do you know how to add water without a hose? Bought a 6 galling jug but system won’t take water that way
Marty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:46 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
We are on the road for 2 months visiting family. Just the wife and me and currently in a state park with only electric. Tried filling water up but the gauge said full and when I parked it was only 1/4 full. Guess I have to get a water gauge to know how much water I put in. As a related question do you know how to add water without a hose? Bought a 6 galling jug but system won’t take water that way
Couple of questions. First is year and model of trailer? Creating a signature sure is helpful.

"Tried filling water up but the gauge said full..." what does this mean, one has absolutly nothing to do with the other.

"Bought a 6 galling jug but system won’t take water that way". Back to not knowing what trailer you have. Do you have a gravity fill fresh water tank? I'm guessing not and I'm guessing you have a convenience center where the FW tank is filled via the city water hose connection and turning a valve. If that's the case, then you'll need a seperate pump (12 vdc or 120 vac) that you can connect a garden hose to so that you can pump the water in. The city water inlet connection has a check valve in it to keep the FW pump from pumping water out of the hose connection when using the on board water pump. Gravity feeding water through the hose will not open that check valve.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:17 AM   #16
pasayten

We have a 2021 Cougar 26RBS... Fresh water and 2 gray tanls are fairly accurate... Black water not so much... will always show 1/4 even when cleaned and drained...

I usually do not worry about anything but the fresh water level as all the waste tanks are fauly large and there are just 2 of us... Easy to get by 4-5 days before worrying about draining anything... :-)

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #17
Ddaddyo

Those Indicator's are the Same as a Harley Davidson Gas Gage, Never Right......
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #18
rlh1957

You just get accustomed to your particular system and your usage.

Rarely do RV tank indicators operate accurately, from day one.
Even with all the tricks and hacks to get them to read correct, they just don’t.
Mine will read correct one day and totally wrong the next.
Some folks have tanks that read correct while most post their disgust with the poor performance of tank indicators.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH (8) BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inverter. SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #19
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddyo View Post
Those Indicator's are the Same as a Harley Davidson Gas Gage, Never Right......

Well if that's the case, I should be good then.
The fuel gauge on my '15 Ultra Limited has always been very accurate.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #20
CaptnJohn

I’ll have to check mine next week when I’m in it. Other than FW I haven’t looked at them in st least 15 years.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank