Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
RMC

Do I need to charge brand new batteries?

We have had 2 x 6 volt batteries on our 2019 Passport and they died over the winter.

The old batteries were Interstate GC2-ECL-UTL 225 ah@ 20HR.

I purchased 2 6 volt GC2 230 ah@ 20HR batteries as replacement.

Link to new batteries: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...2000p.html#plp

When I put the batteries on the trailer there is no charge. I tried hooking them up to the battery charger and the charger goes into "reconditioning" mode. I left them there for a few hours but nothing came of it. What do I need to do to charge them? Can I just plug the trailer into the 110V household receptacle?
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #2
bobbecky

They are likely fully charged already. I just replaced 6 batteries in our golf cart several months ago and they were fully charged, right from the battery dealer.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I would double check your electrical connections. It's much easier than you'd suspect to hook up batteries "backwards" or with two 6 volt batteries, to hook them up in parallel rather than series so the output is 6VDC rather than 12VDC.

Also, double check your battery cutoff switch to make sure it's correctly turned on. If that doesn't fix the problem, next step is checking the DC mini-breakers that protect the trailer from overload. They are located "on the trailer connection end of the POS battery cable.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:18 PM   #4
RMC

Bad cable

The cable connecting the two batteries was bad. Each battery was showing 6.3V but only 11.1 when cabled together. Swapped it out with a new cable and both trailer and battery charger are happy with the batteries.

This also explains why the old batteries suddenly deteriorated (apparently) in the 2nd half of the summer. They went from needing a light charge (1 hour) every day to requiring 4 or more hours on the generator daily to get them through the night. I was suspecting that there was some stealth power drain somewhere but could not figure it out. Mystery solved.
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote