Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #21
precab

Add the brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
If you still happen to be hell-bent to carry a couple of bicycles, here is a photo of two brackets we bought on 'Ebay/Amazon/who-knows-where' that will give you just enough support to insure the bumper at least stays with you.
I believe I paid $35.00 for the pair and took about 30 minutes for the install. If I had to do it again I would shop a little harder and install two pairs. It won't make it safe for a generator in my opinion, but okay for two-three bikes and a carrier.
This post is probably the best information The original author is looking for. It makes us more comfortable with a $7000 bike on the back with these brackets. I check the welds every single trip just to keep my sanity. My guess is the most could handle probably 150 pounds but every manufacturer is different so this is not a blanket statement
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:32 PM   #22
scottthelocksmith

All of the pics I see of failed bumpers show the bumper and bracket joint butt-welded with no reinforcement. My Bullet had angle reinforcements welded on both sides of the joints from the factory. I've had a bolt-on hitch receiver and cargo rack on there for over 3 years now with no problems. I regularly carry probably 150lbs including the rack, plus the spare tire. If yours doesn't have the reinforcements then I'd have a welder install some!
scottthelocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:23 AM   #23
Dkentaz65

Agree with Balvar, those tube bumpers are not rated to handle much load at all. There are hitch assemblies you can buy which bolt to your rv frame underneath that are designed to hold more. You would need to purchase the appropriate receiver hitch cargo carrying device though.
Dkentaz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:24 AM   #24
BruceinDFW

I installed the Mount-n-Lock Heavy Duty bracket kit on the back of my Montana 40' fifth wheel in 2019. Since then, we have traveled about 15K miles with two 70+ lb fat tire Rad e-bikes + the weight of the bike carrier. Never had any issues. I do try to check the brackets and welds once per year to make sure I don't see any signs of cracks or tears.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
2019 Rad Rover & Rad Mini Step-thru
BruceinDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:24 AM   #25
YesImLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebzl View Post
Hi all, I want to put a storage platform on the rear bumper of an Outback 330RL rig but cannot find the maximum weight capacity of the bumper. Any idea where I can find this data? Thanks! Tim
The answer I got from Forest River on my first trailer was that the bumper is only designed to carry whatever accessories came on the TT from the factory. I feel like that's good advice, so basically if you remove the spare from the bumper, you can carry up to the weight of the spare and bracket that came with your trailer. They also specifically said DO NOT bolt a hitch receiver or any platform wider than about a foot from the bumper or you're just asking for trouble. Anything from failed bumpers to separating wall panels due to a bent frame.
Figuring that is very conservative advice, but not getting too crazy, I've always used a carrier that mounts ON the bumper like the spare, carry only the spare in the carrier OR only cargo that weighs roughly the same (40-50lbs), and ratchet strap everything as close to the box as possible. Never had an issue, and that bumper looked super flimsy (and got very rusty) compared to the new one. I'll do the same for my new trailer.
Do not create leverage on that bumper with a bolt-on receiver and hitch rack. Notice almost all the fail pics have that setup, or were hanging bikes and stuff way out the back.
YesImLost is offline   Reply With Quote