Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2022, 11:35 AM   #1
madisonjon

Keystone Online Customer Service

I’ve found Keystone’s online chat to be useful, but wanted to get this groups take. I asked a question on whether or not I can walk on the roof of my RV (2013 Springdale 294BHSSR). I know the manuals 2015 and later state that if it has a ladder, then you can (mine does not). But anything before 2015 has no mention of walking on the roof.

The rep gave me this information. “It should have either 3/8" or 5/8" decking. The single-axle "minis" will have 5.2mm decking that would be considered non-walkable, but yours is a full-size Springdale which is walkable. The 5.2mm decking was used on lightweight units like the Bullet, Outback, and Passport.”

I wanted to get your insight if I should trust this information.
madisonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Jon, it is entirely possible that the person you spoke with really has no idea. That person may not have some secret stash of product information. If you are lucky, they might talk to a technical person if you have a brand new camper but a couple years old will make finding someone who knows difficult. Assume if you are an average sized fella that you might want to put something up on the room to distribute weight if you get up there which you definitely want to do with a 2015.

It may be the roof sealant around penetrations needs to be tended to. On top the roof, use self leveling Dicor; you will need a caulk gun. On any part of the roof that is not horizontal, use NON self leveling Dicor because the stuff will run in the sun. Buy an extending ladder and go up onto the roof securely. The ladders they tack onto the back of campers are often problematic. I had to replace all the fasteners on mine (2002 model) because they were coming loose and I won't use that ladder anyway. I have a 12.5' extending ladder. These ladders are easy to store and lightweight.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 02:38 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I had a 2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS. It as the top of the Cougar bumper pull line, had a ladder and walkable roof. At the time I bought it (2/2014) I was told then that if they didn't have a ladder the roof was not walkable - I would go with that if I were you unless someone has that exact trailer and found in some definitive way that it was walkable.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 03:04 PM   #4
jasin1

Also it could have been walkable when it was built 9 years ago but I wouldn’t be walking around up there now even if it was considered walkable....Id use what was suggested…use a piece of foam board or something to spread the weight and still just crawl or lay on it…just move the ladder around and if you absolutely can’t reach, use the foam board.

It would be bad to step through a weak spot in the decking.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:21 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Also it could have been walkable when it was built 9 years ago but I wouldn’t be walking around up there now even if it was considered walkable....Id use what was suggested…use a piece of foam board or something to spread the weight and still just crawl or lay on it…just move the ladder around and if you absolutely can’t reach, use the foam board.

It would be bad to step through a weak spot in the decking.
I have a 2002 Cougar and have no hesitation about walking on the roof. My roof ladder fasteners were all rusted when i got the trailer and I pulled the ladder off and fixed them all. The ladder is too narrow for me to feel comfortable and the first step is a bit higher than i like so I put my 12.5' telescoping ladder up next to it as a "brace" and go up that way. Since I have an RV-Armor roof there really isn't a lot of need to go up there anymore anyway.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have a 2002 Cougar and have no hesitation about walking on the roof. My roof ladder fasteners were all rusted when i got the trailer and I pulled the ladder off and fixed them all. The ladder is too narrow for me to feel comfortable and the first step is a bit higher than i like so I put my 12.5' telescoping ladder up next to it as a "brace" and go up that way. Since I have an RV-Armor roof there really isn't a lot of need to go up there anymore anyway.
Your a braver man then me…I hate walking around on my roof..I’m about 175-185 depending on what time of the year it is lol. And I can feel the roof flexing …worried about if the plywood was a little short at a roof truss or not fastened correctly..I go up when I have to ..wish they had some sort of a reinforced walkway to one side of the ac units the length of the rig.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Your a braver man then me…I hate walking around on my roof..I’m about 175-185 depending on what time of the year it is lol. And I can feel the roof flexing …worried about if the plywood was a little short at a roof truss or not fastened correctly..I go up when I have to ..wish they had some sort of a reinforced walkway to one side of the ac units the length of the rig.
If I was a little bitty fella like you, I would take the missus up with me and we could sun bathe. The roof is plywood on puny trusses but is well able to hold a fat boy like me. As I said, I have an RV-Armor roof and the only time I get up there is for a little cleaning with the pressure washer (yeah I know... not a good idea but I ain't much on scrubbing).
Old 04-24-2022, 04:06 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If I was a little bitty fella like you, I would take the missus up with me and we could sun bathe. The roof is plywood on puny trusses but is well able to hold a fat boy like me. As I said, I have an RV-Armor roof and the only time I get up there is for a little cleaning with the pressure washer (yeah I know... not a good idea but I ain't much on scrubbing).
Just checked..a little over 190 lbs…I’ll be out jogging if anyone needs me
Old 04-24-2022, 03:40 PM   #9
madisonjon

Good info. I spent time last fall army crawling looking at the seals and tending as needed. I was just thinking to myself that it would be easier to walk around on the roof. I have some leftover 1/4” plywood from a project and I was thinking of using that to distribute some of the weight. I had some water dripping inside the camper from the AC on a very hot day so I’m thinking that I need to replace the AC seal and do some general cleaning, so I’ll need to get on the roof.
madisonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:29 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjon View Post
Good info. I spent time last fall army crawling looking at the seals and tending as needed. I was just thinking to myself that it would be easier to walk around on the roof. I have some leftover 1/4” plywood from a project and I was thinking of using that to distribute some of the weight. I had some water dripping inside the camper from the AC on a very hot day so I’m thinking that I need to replace the AC seal and do some general cleaning, so I’ll need to get on the roof.
I would not use plywood as a means to disperse your weight unless you line the side that touches the TPO roof membrane with carpet or another material to protect the roof. I use 2" rigid foam sheeting, cut in 2x4 foot sections. It will disperse the weight and is soft enough not to damage the membrane if you happen to twist it or slide it on the roof.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:05 AM   #11
rlh1957

Search for YouTube factory build videos or go on a factory tour and see for yourself how the roof & truss systems are put together. Even an untrained eye will see the minimum support the roof provides, structural engineers need to take some Valium before viewing.
On blueprints the roof minimally passes weight support test, but when put to aging, flexing on moving, added weight and cutouts for vents, fans & A/C units that structure will weaken roof.

Putting large plywood down to spread per Sq Inch foot weight out will help when walking and kneeling to work or inspect roof.
Use movable pieces of plywood & choose a day without wind!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone