Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
BubbaShoots

Cougar 25RDS is Awesome

We are on our first-of-season shake down camp in our Cougar 25RDS. We’re close to home and doing our spring maintenance getting ready for the season. Our TT is 13 months old and we traveled nearly 8,000 miles before parking for the winter (in Texas, winter is Dec-Feb). I am feeling so blessed…our Cougar 25RDS is amazing, everything works perfectly. Every window opens, no leaks, both AC’s and furnace, refrigerator, water pump, stabilizer jacks, awning, lights…everything works perfectly. It has had some very minor warranty repairs, but nothing that has interfered with our enjoyment. I am so pleased with the build quality of our Cougar. Frequently, one reads horror stories by owners with bad experiences. I just wanted to post a most positive experience from a happy camper.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Thank you for your positive post. I hope everything continues to go perfectly for you. You've passed that initial "oh crap" 12 month period and got several thousand miles down the road so hopefully you've got clear sailing ahead.

I think your post mirrors the experiences of many, if not most, RV owners but you always get to hear of the bad experiences. It's refreshing and thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:41 PM   #3
Baldy

I'm jealous. I doubt will allow for camping for another month here in Colorado.

A successful first trial of a camper for the season is very satisfying. Congratulations.

2020 Cougar RDB
B&W Companion Hitch
2014 RAM 2500 5.7 Hemi 4X4
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #4
jasin1

Yep nice to hear from owners that are happy with everything…Like Danny said it’s probably the majority of owners that are loving life in their camper…unfortunately the owners that have a bad experience seem to post more often.

Have a wonderful camping year!
Old 03-23-2022, 03:54 PM   #5
Roper46

Here's another positive post. I'm sitting in my Cougar right now in a campground near Milledgeville Ga. My first trip of the year and the first time I've had it out of the yard in over four months.

Got here on Tuesday 3/22/22 and set everything up and turned everything on while my brother took his boat to the marina. Then we spent the rest of the afternoon fishing, actually fighting the wind. But it was great spending time on the lake with my brother. Everything that the OP mentioned worked and still does from the time I turned it on. Brother had to go back home but I am here until Friday.

Very nice campground also.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:53 PM   #6
GlasNav

Agreed, the 25RDS is a well thought out design. We have the last '21 to come off the assembly line last August as the plant had a delay on ours due to covid supply chain issues with some of the configuration items we requested. Besides nearby sites, the unit has been to Vandenberg SFB twice and Pensacola once. The unit has performed well in single digit temps including a heavy snow storm in Flagstaff on I-40 a few weeks ago. We did have a couple warranty items that were addressed, otherwise simple issues that were easier for us to address on our own. The quality of the materials are better, but there doesn't appear to be any better QC on the assembly line to catch the simple issues!
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:30 AM   #7
gregrc75

We have a 2022 Cougar 25RDS and I agree, it is great. We bought it in October 2021 and used it 5 times before winterizing. No issues so far. We added a slide topper and replaced the tires to be safe. First trip of the season coming up in a few weeks!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:11 PM   #8
pawpaw

Good to hear some positive reviews on this model since we're picking ours up next week. Wife and are downsizing from a 41' fifth wheel that was totaled from hurricane Ida. We love the floorplan and the huge bathroom. A little worried about towing with my '21 Ford Expedition with the max towing package. Rated for 9,200 lbs but I always like overkill. Sorry I sold my dually after the storm since we didn't plan on getting another 5th wheel. We had a 371 Fuzion toyhauler and then a 377 Solitude. I think the 25RDS will be perfect for just the 2 of us.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:39 PM   #9
adm1949

Picked our 2022 25RDS up in September

So far we are very happy with the 25RDS. We've had a few minor issues that were fixed by the dealer. The only issue we have now is with the InCommand. I've had to reset it a couple of times because it quit turning the lights on. Everything else worked fine. About the only thing I would change is to swap out the king bed for a queen. The king is difficult to put the bedding on because the edge of the bed fits under the bedside table. We've had it out boondocking in Terlingua, TX and everything worked great. I did run a 2000 watt generator for awhile each day to top off the batteries.
adm1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm1949 View Post
So far we are very happy with the 25RDS. We've had a few minor issues that were fixed by the dealer. The only issue we have now is with the InCommand. I've had to reset it a couple of times because it quit turning the lights on. Everything else worked fine. About the only thing I would change is to swap out the king bed for a queen. The king is difficult to put the bedding on because the edge of the bed fits under the bedside table. We've had it out boondocking in Terlingua, TX and everything worked great. I did run a 2000 watt generator for awhile each day to top off the batteries.

Pull that OE king mattress out, cut down the platform by 6"? on each side then buy a residential queen to fit (60x80). Some folks like the king mattress but we absolutely hate the 2" of room, or whatever it is, between the mattress and the walls, side tables etc. that a king leaves - SO much better with the queen for us.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #11
BubbaShoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Pull that OE king mattress out, cut down the platform by 6"? on each side then buy a residential queen to fit (60x80). Some folks like the king mattress but we absolutely hate the 2" of room, or whatever it is, between the mattress and the walls, side tables etc. that a king leaves - SO much better with the queen for us.
We purchased an Olympic Queen 66”x80” that gave us just enough room without having to cut down the platform.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:38 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaShoots View Post
We purchased an Olympic Queen 66”x80” that gave us just enough room without having to cut down the platform.

The disadvantages to the 66x80 mattress/platform to me is the loss of the space on the sides (even though it's only 6" total) and the fact that residential queen mattresses (60x80) are available everywhere whereas the Olympic Queen will probably be special order if it's even available. As for the res queen size; that cut down platform makes a HUGE difference in being able to maneuver around the bed to make it etc. vs the king mattress. DW would disown me before she let me make her make up a king mattress in an RV again.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #13
pawpaw

Had the king size beds in our last 2 campers and changing the sheets were not that bad. I'd slide the mattress down to clear the side shelves and use fitted sheets and start from the top and work down. Depends on the room whether you can slide the bed down for this to work. Going to the dealer tomorrow to look at it again and ask some questions. Plan on picking it up next Wednesday. Absolutely love the floorplan and Kudos to the wife for picking it out. Just hope I won't be back buying another truck to tow it with. She's been warned!!
Old 03-25-2022, 11:51 AM   #14
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Had the king size beds in our last 2 campers and changing the sheets were not that bad. I'd slide the mattress down to clear the side shelves and use fitted sheets and start from the top and work down. Depends on the room whether you can slide the bed down for this to work. Going to the dealer tomorrow to look at it again and ask some questions. Plan on picking it up next Wednesday. Absolutely love the floorplan and Kudos to the wife for picking it out. Just hope I won't be back buying another truck to tow it with. She's been warned!!
That’s exactly how I make the bed. The only downside of the king for me is losing the floor space for our two big labs to sleep. They seem displaced from when we had the queen in the last two campers.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 03-25-2022, 12:18 PM   #15
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
That’s exactly how I make the bed. The only downside of the king for me is losing the floor space for our two big labs to sleep. They seem displaced from when we had the queen in the last two campers.
Thanks for the info Greg. Any problems other than the sheets with the camper?
Old 03-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #16
GlasNav

Much like making a bunk shipboard, pull it out, make it, then drop it back in the frame. With the king in the 25RDS, we pull it aft, stand it up and make the bed in the vertical position, drop it back on the platform, then slide it forward. We have two 55lb rescues that insist on being at the foot of the bed, this does get crowded when two people and two dogs attempt to occupy the same space at the same time!
As far as small things you might wish to address, we taped black plastic corner protectors that had come as shipping packaging over the bedroom and bathroom light switches as the bright blue glow is a bit much for me at night. I was waking and thinking I was back at sea and it was an indicator on an alarm panel in my stateroom. The other issue that is easily addressed depends on your campsite, street lights can reflect in along the back of the front window roller shade frame straight into your eyes. We simply place a piece of window air conditioner foam in the space between the shade roll and the frame. I'm considering painting that frame flat black to not reflect the light, that's a get around to it since the foam works well.
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:10 PM   #17
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Much like making a bunk shipboard, pull it out, make it, then drop it back in the frame. With the king in the 25RDS, we pull it aft, stand it up and make the bed in the vertical position, drop it back on the platform, then slide it forward. We have two 55lb rescues that insist on being at the foot of the bed, this does get crowded when two people and two dogs attempt to occupy the same space at the same time!
As far as small things you might wish to address, we taped black plastic corner protectors that had come as shipping packaging over the bedroom and bathroom light switches as the bright blue glow is a bit much for me at night. I was waking and thinking I was back at sea and it was an indicator on an alarm panel in my stateroom. The other issue that is easily addressed depends on your campsite, street lights can reflect in along the back of the front window roller shade frame straight into your eyes. We simply place a piece of window air conditioner foam in the space between the shade roll and the frame. I'm considering painting that frame flat black to not reflect the light, that's a get around to it since the foam works well.
Thanks for that tip. We're picking ours up Wednesday and can't wait to use it. Lucky I have a spot in my yard with a 50 amp box! Our oldest grandson is 21 and working on a small 350' ship. Got out of high school in 2019 and he's been working on a vessel since.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #18
gregrc75

No major or big problems.
Some minor things.
-We had to add a bit more sealant around the shower door tracks for a slow leak when showering.
-The front windshield was drafty and condensed in cold weather, so, I made a large removable insulted insert and it solved the issue (similar to a roof vent insert).
-Check and make sure the seal around the windshield meets at the center top. If not, have the dealer, or you, add some sealant in there.
-Make sure the hole where the LED light strip enters the top of the front cap is sealed properly.

All minor things for us and easily remedied.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 03-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #19
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
No major or big problems.
Some minor things.
-We had to add a bit more sealant around the shower door tracks for a slow leak when showering.
-The front windshield was drafty and condensed in cold weather, so, I made a large removable insulted insert and it solved the issue (similar to a roof vent insert).
-Check and make sure the seal around the windshield meets at the center top. If not, have the dealer, or you, add some sealant in there.
-Make sure the hole where the LED light strip enters the top of the front cap is sealed properly.

All minor things for us and easily remedied.
Thanks for the info! See you're up there close to Cape Cod. I've been to Otis AFB twice years ago with the Louisiana Air Guard. Spent about a month up there total..nice area!!
Old 03-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #20
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Thanks for the info! See you're up there close to Cape Cod. I've been to Otis AFB twice years ago with the Louisiana Air Guard. Spent about a month up there total..nice area!!
No problem at all! Good luck!
Yes, Otis is right across the bay from my town. Once in a while I catch a glimpse of aircraft heading that way!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA

Tags
cougar