Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2022, 09:43 AM   #21
92xj

I am brake cleaning the brake assembly and spindle to this level. Don't think I need any more in depth cleaning than this, unless you pros recommend more.
92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:49 PM   #22
92xj

Well crap,
On the current hub I am working on, I can see where the inner bearing spun on the spindle. I pulled the hub, pulled both bearings out and cleaned everything. Saw very faint discoloring, but nothing major like seen with lots of heat. Took the cleaned off bearing out to the spindle and was able to slide it on by hand, once on I spun the outside of the bearing and the inner piece was rotating around the spindle as well. I took the Timken part numbers listed above to 4 different local parts store and no one had any in stock.
On amazon, the only thing available in the quickest amount of time, Monday, is this kit... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
so, I ordered it. Will remove old races with a punch and install everything in the linked kit on Monday. All in a days fun. If anyone wants to confirm my purchase with my OP, that would be fine by me. Hopefully they are direct replacements and I didn't miss something.
92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:47 AM   #23
Arnold12519

You can go to most any trailer dealer and buy the races, bearings, and seals off the shelf. They are very common. They will cost a little more than Amazon but the convenience is worth it. Also, regardless of what anyone tells you, never replace the bearings or races alone. Always replace both! On that note, the trailer dealer may have the right bearing race tools needed to remove the old races and install the new ones. Since I bought my bearings there, they did the race work at no additional charge. The right tools will do a better job and will decrease the chance of “boogering up” a new race. I still recommend packing your own bearings so you will know it’s done right. My opinion…
Arnold12519 is offline   Reply With Quote