Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2022, 07:30 AM   #1
markpa

Towing Insurance

We're new Cougar owners and are trying to determine if we should keep our AAA insurance or change to Coachnet. We also have a Lance slide-in camper that we will use once in a while.

Our dilemma is how to cover both RVs and our car & truck for roadside assistance and towing. We have AAA and have talked to them and the CoachNet people and below is what they tell us:

AAA - only allows 4 tows per year, one of which they will tow up to 200 miles and 3 up to 100 miles. If they tow a vehicle and RV, that uses 2 of the 4 annual tows. They will tow slide-in or 5th wheel, although I'm unclear how they would do the slide-in. This coverage is $125/year.

CoachNet - Unlimited number of tows, and they will tow to a competent repair facility, not just the "nearest". They only cover one RV for each $179/year policy, so we'd need two of them to cover both the slide-in and 5th wheel.

Do any of you have more than one RV? What is your experience with CoachNet? Are there other alternatives besides these two?

Mark
markpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

My question reading this is, how many times a year do you normally require or anticipate needing a tow? I've had towing insurance for my RV for several decades and haven’t used it yet.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It's the same with me. I haven't used a "tow service" in at least the last 10-15 years. If I were anticipating needing a tow service more than 4 times a year (or twice if they tow the truck AND trailer) then I'd be looking for a new, more reliable tow vehicle, not better tow insurance.....

Also, things may have changed since we had a slide in camper, but back then, if the camper was installed on the truck, it counted as one vehicle and there was no need to "tow the camper" as when towing the truck, the camper went with it... Allstate and State Farm both considered the slide in camper on the truck as "one unit".. I'd verify if that has changed in recent years.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

I have Good Sam Roadside Assistance that covers my camper and truck if there is a breakdown. I had some mysterious part on my truck die outside (about 30 miles) Uvalde (wasn't towing) and they had a tow truck out to drag me to the local Ford dealer pretty quickly. That tow made a year's coverage worthwhile. Problem when you select a towing company is to know if they cover areas you will likely visit. Neither AAA or Coachnet have coverage everywhere in the USA. Good Sam has about the best near as I can gather but they also are not in every corner of the country.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing