Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2022, 05:50 PM   #1
sonbar

29rli 2022 tank dumps

To my understanding there are 2 gray tanks but I only see one gray valve to pull. It is next to black valve pull in storage area by controls.
Is there a valve pull for each gray tank or does that one valve pull dump both gray tanks? This is our 1st cougar and thus far we love it
sonbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You have 2 grey tank valves. One is in the convenience center with the black tank valve pull. The other will probably be back behind the slide, behind the wheels or thereabouts, maybe even half way back under the trailer. Just crawl around under there and you'll find it I bet. It could be a silver handle sticking through the frame at some place in that area but every Cougar I've seen (5th wheel) has that thing stuck back under there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:03 PM   #3
sonbar

My winnebago had 2 separate dump outlets . I only see one outlet on this unit.

Appreciate your help, thank you.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:11 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You will need to look for that 2nd valve. Here is the link to your trailer;

https://www.keystonerv.com/product/c...oorplans/29RLI

Note the black water tank is 30gal. and the gray is 60 gal. That is 2 30gal. tanks. Although they may have one dump for the 2 tanks letting them "self equalize" I've not seen that. The 2nd gray tank valve is NOT in the convenience center. Just helped a new owner of a 364BH Cougar find his 2nd valve because he said it didn't have one but his tank was full....right where I mentioned.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #5
sonbar

Thank you for your help. 30gals sure seems small
Old 03-13-2022, 05:56 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonbar View Post
Thank you for your help. 30gals sure seems small
In nearly every RV, the holding tanks have to be "small" so they can fit between the frame rails and the cross members. Typically they are about 60" long, 20" wide and 5" deep sloping to around 8" on the drain valve end. That size tank will hold about 30-35 gallons. They have to be located so the sinks and shower can "drain properly" into the tanks. There's no way to run a drain line with the proper slope (not to mention compensate for a trailer that may sit "un-level on the site" if the drain line has to run from the rear to the front of the trailer. That 2" drain line slope is reduced to zero if the rear of the trailer is 2" below "perfect level"...

So, as a "general rule" in Keystone trailers, if the gray tank capacity is greater than 45 or 50 gallons, you can almost guarantee that there are two gray tanks under the floor.

In your floorplan, the galley sink sits "approximately" over the center of the axles. I'd guess that your galley gray tank drain valve handle is mounted on the frame rail, between the wheels (under the slide) or just forward/aft of t he wheels. On my Cougar, the galley is in the rear of the trailer and the gray tank is "forward of the fresh water tank" which is located at the extreme rear of the frame rails with the galley tank in the next "crossmember space". The drain valve handle is located "through the coroplast belly liner" and not "on the frame rail". The reason for this is the proximity of the slide rams in that area.

On my trailer, and on most Keystone trailers that I've seen, there is a "very small, almost blended into the trailer sidewall, decal that says, "GRAY TANK". The decals are located just above the J-wrap molding on the trailer sidewall and directly over the drain valve handle.

Take a look at your trailer sidewall and see if you have these decals to help locate the valve position...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank decals.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	38723  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #7
sonbar

Got it, thank you. It has a long rod that screws on the valve. I just touch it and it fell off! I don't see how it did not fall off in travel. I think maybe lock tight on it would prevent unless it would cause problems later? I can't leave it like this else it will vibrabe loose.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Put Loctite on all the threaded portions; under the trailer, handle etc. When I use the handles I always give them a twist to the right to keep them tight and make sure the retaining nut behind the handle is snugged up.

Tags
tank