Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #1
Tattooedduck

Solar Controller Wiring

Just recently bought a 2022 Hideout Bunkhouse (26BHWE). This included the 200w solar kit for charging batteries. When I checked the trailer a few times the Victron controller showed the batteries weren’t charging. I downloaded the Victron app and it showed 12.5 V at the solar and 44 V at the battery. When I checked with my multimeter I got the same at the controller, but 12.5 V at the batteries themselves. I suspected that the wires to the controller were mislabeled and installed incorrectly. I switched the wires at the controller and the led switched immediately and today showed history of going from bulk to absorption to float (spent 95% of the day here). Has anyone else experienced a similar issue from factory?
Tattooedduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:24 PM   #2
snoobler

Wow. Glad you got that sorted. Very fortunate that you didn't have a higher voltage array. It would blow out the controller putting max PV Voc on the battery terminals.
snoobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
Tattooedduck

That’s kind what I had thought. I just don’t get how they got mislabeled like that.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #4
snoobler

No two units are alike, and the potential for mistakes is mind boggling.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:20 AM   #5
Tattooedduck

There is that. I am guessing if the voltage readings are right on the app and on the multimeter, and the controller is switching through the operations then all is well. I even tested the batteries again last night in the dying light and they were reading the float charge of 13.86 so I glad it was a simple fix that didn't require the trailer to be at the dealer for probably a few weeks to get looked into.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #6
snoobler

The Victron MPPT requires PV voltage 5V or more above the battery voltage. It must have thought it simply had a 48V battery at low voltage connected to a panel receiving almost no light. It just sat around waiting for the PV to go higher than the "48V" battery it was attached to.

The above + the normal behavior you are observing indicate the unit is fine and nothing bad happened as a result of the installation issue.

Congrats on sorting it out and avoiding the trip to the dealer.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:40 AM   #7
Alancaster

Mine too

My 2022 Cougar 26RBS was wired incorrectly at the controller as well. It works perfectly now as well and does a great job of maintaining the battery. I was able to bring it in and have the dealer look at it while I waited. It ended up being a quick fix. The other issue I had with my camper was the sensors for the auto leveling system were never fastened in the belly and just bouncing around in there causing a lot of weird issues trying to level the rig. Fortunately the dealer again worked it while I waited. These issues can be frustrating!

Al

Al
2021 F250 6.2L gas
2022 Cougar 26RBS
Alancaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, wiring