Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2022, 03:42 AM   #1
bgrhrdt

Can you turn off Haier Refrigerator?

I have a Haier 4-door residential refrigerator. The only way I've found to turn on and off the unit is to either unplug it or turn off the inverter breaker (which also turns off the TV and certain outlets).

Has anyone found a way to turn this thing on and off using the refrigerator controls themselves?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:26 AM   #2
notanlines

From the user manual, page 29, "If you do not want to use the fridge for a long period of time, pull out the power cord plug. Cut off all power supply and water sources. Clean the fridge as directed in this manual. Leave the fridge door open to prevent any odors from accumulating."
I would look to your circuit breakers, easy-peasy.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:37 AM   #3
bgrhrdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I would look to your circuit breakers, easy-peasy.
Yes, the circuit breaker is easy, but like I said, there's no dedicated breaker just to the refrig...it's the Inverter breaker which also cuts off other things.

And there's definitely no access the plug on the refrigerator. I was just looking for something that wasn't a breaker. I don't like throwing breakers when there's a more "graceful" way of turning something off.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:42 AM   #4
jasin1

I’d run a switch leg from the refrigerator outlet to a dedicated switch..or a switch for the inverter itself(unless it just plugs in) …run to a convenient spot or the battery location
Old 03-02-2022, 05:27 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The easiest "right now fix" would probably be to purchase a 6 foot heavy duty appliance extension cord, unplug the refrigerator, plug that cord into the socket, then route the other end of the extension cord and the refrigerator plug to an accessible location, so you can plug/unplug the refrigerator without having to move it every time... https://www.amazon.com/Appliance-Ext...a-879204245473

Then, as you find time, devise a plan to "rewire the trailer so that plug is on a switch or individual circuit breaker, so you have "switch control of the refrigerator"... In the mean time, as stated in the owner's manual, "pull out the power cord plug. Cut off all power supply and water sources."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	APPLIANCE EXTENSION CORD.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	38557  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:31 AM   #6
bgrhrdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The easiest "right now fix" would probably be to purchase a 6 foot heavy duty appliance extension cord...
Yeah I was just hoping there was a way not to have to pull the refrigerator away from the wall. I'll have to check to see how it's anchored. I've used the appliance extension cord system for my home refrigerator to make it easier to connect to a portable generator.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:59 AM   #7
CampNBrew2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’d run a switch leg from the refrigerator outlet to a dedicated switch..or a switch for the inverter itself(unless it just plugs in) …run to a convenient spot
I wholeheartedly agree that you need a switchleg added. Just don't make it TOO convenient. I've had stuff turned off before by people not knowing what the switch served. And now that I have little grandkids I am doubly careful about where things go. If there is anything in their radius, it Will be messed with
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:52 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

There are many options to prevent tampering with a wall switch. For a couple of dollars you can get a simple screw on coner. Just search for " switch guard" and you'll see plenty of options.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #9
Skillet173

Short term I just trip the GFCI for it. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, it also controls TV and other items.

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Forgot to mention there are also a few other choices. You could buy a switched plug in with a remote or a switched plug in with a cord. Most are capable of 10 to 13 amps and are very inexpensive if you aren't comfortable with wiring the camper or don't have available wall space for a wall mounted swich.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:42 AM   #11
Skillet173

Well, I found the plug for the Haier in my 419.
The GFCI on inverter leg kept blowing and I had to go troubleshooting. Unplugged unit and GFCI was fine. Tried plugging unit directly into GFCI socket to isolate and it tripped. Plugged unit into the GFCI on inverter and it ran fine. I ended up replacing the GFCI and it is working as of now. Yes, it's a brand new rig but why tow it to dealer when I can possibly correct myself.
The plug is located on the fridge compartment wall between the fridge and stove and a PITA to get to. The fridge is secured with a bracket and to remove it it's a screw on each side. It's tight coming out and necessary to remove doors first.
My plan is to move the fridge plug to under the stove so I can access it and turn off or unplug at will. The outlets with the switch just control that specific outlet correct?

Question:
Is the sole reason for that GFCI because it's near the sink? The inverter is GFCI protected anyway isn't it? But I guess if on shore power it wouldn't...

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote