Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2022, 09:46 AM   #1
Gregory

Greg

I need a little advise my battery has gone dead while hooked to shore power on my last 2 trips.I thought rv park had an issue but it’s my unit.I have to assume it’s the converter, does anyone know how I would find the model# or do I physically have to check and might it just be a reset on the converter. Thanks Greg

2020 cougar 1/2 ton 25res
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #2
sierraman68

My 2020 Cougar 25RES has a WFCO WF-9800 Series Converter.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
Schreib

By no means an expert here but my battery died while hooked to my home's 110. My battery cutoff switch was in the wrong position. simple thing to check.
Schreib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
Gregory

Converter

Thanks sierraman, did you also have issues?
Old 02-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #5
Gregory

Sierraman

Do you happen to know the amperage of your we-9800 there are multiple options
Old 02-27-2022, 12:16 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schreib View Post
By no means an expert here but my battery died while hooked to my home's 110. My battery cutoff switch was in the wrong position. simple thing to check.
That would the 1st check. If it's in the "off/disconnected" position your batteries will not be charged while on shore power.
If that's the case I'd recommend connecting it then forget it's there, even if disconnected your batteries will be dead in as little as a week due to parasitic drains the the disconnect will not stop. If storing the best method is to disconnect the negative cable from the battery going directly to ground or add another disconnect to that cable, that's the only 100% way to disconnect all 12 volt power.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:45 PM   #7
sierraman68

Greg, unfortunately I do not know the amperage for the converter. It is on my todo list to pull the panel and get the exact model # and amperage.

We have had our rig for two seasons and have had no issues with charging the batteries. That said, right after our purchase I changed out the two 12v batteries provided my the dealer for four 6-volt batteries. Not because of any issues but just want more amps available.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
Gregory

Sierraman

I just pulled the stove to look it’s a we-9855 55 amp in my unit with 35 amp fuses. They were good although one was loose and I had 12 volts coming off it.it’s got me a bit baffled now,everything runs great until battery’s drain. I’ve got a charger so I’ll use that until I figure it out(I do have a new one coming just in case) thanks
Old 03-14-2022, 10:50 AM   #9
Wild Willy

Converter

I have the same problem. The solar panels charge the batteries but when plugged into shore power the batteries slowly drain.
Wild Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:30 PM   #10
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Willy View Post
I have the same problem. The solar panels charge the batteries but when plugged into shore power the batteries slowly drain.
Not a solar guy, but pretty sure my buddy's solar system charges the battery regardless of the battery disconnect setting. This is probably not the case when charging via shore power. As a result, you should ensure that the battery disconnect switch is set in the appropriate position.

Depending on the particular battery disconnect switch, it's not always in the position where logic (at least not to my brain) tells you 'off' is 'off' and 'on' is 'on'.

For mine (2020 Cougar 1/2 ton TT), when my disconnect switch is set to 'ON' it means the battery is 'OFF'....that is not supplying juice to the trailer or receiving a charge. When the switch is set to 'OFF'....all systems are go.

In other words, the 'ON' and 'OFF' setting apply to the actual switch itself, not whether the battery is 'on' or 'off'.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:33 PM   #11
Gregory

I changed the converter and all is good,it’s not hard to do stove removes easily thanks to all for your advice
Old 03-15-2022, 05:22 AM   #12
Wild Willy

Thanks, that is interesting off is on and on is off. I will check that out.
Wild Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:35 AM   #13
dutchmensport

About the "Off" and "On" on the disconnect.

You have think like a left handed person here. I know, I'm married to one ...

The word "disconnect" is a confusing word, especially when used with "off" and "on". It's like using two "negatives" in a sentence. For example, There is no way you can do nothing about this.

If you change the label of the battery disconnect switch, and call it a battery CONNECT switch, then on and off makes sense.