Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #1
Thomas4972

Zamp Solar Prep on 2021 Outback

I have a 2021 Outback 340BH with the zamp solar prep on roof and side port on front lower cap. I have no black cover in my storage pass thru with wires behind it. Only wires I see are in the middle connecting to my BAL 7.3 auto leveling. I did cut a hole in my paneling near the Zamp front cap port to see where those wires go to. Looks like the +/- wire are spliced into the Zamp front port with the other wire going to my BAL leveling system. And the other end is heading underneath my trailer in the under belly. Before I start cutting more holes in my pass thru, has anyone ever located where the loop or any of the wires coming from the roof port?
I do have a giggy box but it looks like it doesn't have the solar fuse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220217_183405750.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	38405

Name:	PXL_20220211_162214448.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	38406
Equalizer 4pt 14k
Thomas4972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
jxnbbl

this does not make sense to me. I would not expect the roof port to be directly wired to the giggy box.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #3
jasin1

The wires from the roof solar and the side solar ports should just run to the battery location…maybe possible they just tie the roof positive and sidewall positive together..they may have pulled a ground wire off to run to your bal
Old 02-18-2022, 04:08 AM   #4
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The wires from the roof solar and the side solar ports should just run to the battery location…maybe possible they just tie the roof positive and sidewall positive together..they may have pulled a ground wire off to run to your bal

This does not make sense because there needs to be a charge controller in the system between the panels and the batteries or your batteries will end up over charging.

The reason why that little side plug is not wired into the roof system and directly to the battery is that it is meant for portable panels that either have a charge controller build into them or can't possibly fully charge the batteries. The wire gauge on that does not allow many amps anyways.

Whether it is a 2 port or a 3 port roof cap they will only support up to 3 larger panels due to the wire gauge used to carry a max of 30A from the roof.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:12 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
This does not make sense because there needs to be a charge controller in the system between the panels and the batteries or your batteries will end up over charging.

The reason why that little side plug is not wired into the roof system and directly to the battery is that it is meant for portable panels that either have a charge controller build into them or can't possibly fully charge the batteries. The wire gauge on that does not allow many amps anyways.

Whether it is a 2 port or a 3 port roof cap they will only support up to 3 larger panels due to the wire gauge used to carry a max of 30A from the roof.

Well that makes sense..I was assuming the roof jack was wired the same as the side port…I have a solar suitcase for the side port with the built in charge controller…I haven’t done anything with the roof yet..I guess if I would have thought it through I’d realize that..thanks for clarifying
Old 02-18-2022, 04:23 AM   #6
jxnbbl

I would probably take that junction apart (DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST...not the shutoff...the battery) and do a continuity test between that and both the black and red wires and the roof cap. IF for some reason there is no continuity, then there is a good chance there is a break/capped integration point between your current hole and the roof cap.

Although 'weird' (in my eyes) that the solar and balancing system are wired together at that point, I guess the leveling system would be wire directly to the battery much like a tongue jack.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:29 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
I would probably take that junction apart (DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST...not the shutoff...the battery) and do a continuity test between that and both the black and red wires and the roof cap. IF for some reason there is no continuity, then there is a good chance there is a break/capped integration point between your current hole and the roof cap.

Although 'weird' (in my eyes) that the solar and balancing system are wired together at that point, I guess the leveling system would be wire directly to the battery much like a tongue jack.
Maybe this helps..got it on here a while back…notice it shows optional charge controller but otherwise wired directly to battery?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F9926D73-74AA-4252-A45C-68FD3FA8BAC6.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	38409  
Old 02-18-2022, 04:29 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Well that makes sense..I was assuming the roof jack was wired the same as the side port…I have a solar suitcase for the side port with the built in charge controller…I haven’t done anything with the roof yet..I guess if I would have thought it through I’d realize that..thanks for clarifying

We posted at the same time...from the standpoint for the leveling system it does make sense.

If your ready for expansion - I have a roof cap/roof-to-controller wiring/fused controller-to-battery wiring setup. Selling it now on ebay for about 1/2 what you can get it for anywhere. I over-ordered as I wasn't informed correctly when ordering my panels. (zamp)
Old 02-18-2022, 04:33 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
We posted at the same time...from the standpoint for the leveling system it does make sense.

If your ready for expansion - I have a roof cap/roof-to-controller wiring/fused controller-to-battery wiring setup. Selling it now on ebay for about 1/2 what you can get it for anywhere. I over-ordered as I wasn't informed correctly when ordering my panels. (zamp)
Send a link if you could..but I have the zamp pre wire to the roof already…maybe what your describing is something extra?
Old 02-18-2022, 05:00 AM   #10
Thomas4972

Quote:

I have a 30A MPPT charge controller that I want to install for the roof port wires . My question is where are the wires? I ran an inspection camera behind my paneling in the pass thru and couldn't find the wires. I only see the wires for the briefcase port on front cap and they are tied in with the BAL leveling. My next step is to take off the diecor and remove roof cap and see if they even installed the wire. I did use a meter and it showed 13.4 coming off the fron cap and nothing coming off the roof caps. I'm at a lost foe these wires. I called Keystone they are no help. My dealer is 500 miles away and he said if there is a roof port then they ran wires.
Equalizer 4pt 14k
Old 02-18-2022, 05:14 AM   #11
Thomas4972

Quote:

I wasn't getting anything with the meter with the roof ports so I believe they are capped off, but where? Every solor post I see has a loop of wires or wires tied off in the from pass thru on the drivers side of the trailer.
Equalizer 4pt 14k
Old 02-18-2022, 05:19 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas4972 View Post
I wasn't getting anything with the meter with the roof ports so I believe they are capped off, but where? Every solor post I see has a loop of wires or wires tied off in the from pass thru on the drivers side of the trailer.
Try this link to a previous post..notice the schematic in post #7 of this link..it shows the relationship btw the bal stabilizers and the wiring
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nI45NdnzzJ4LQw
Old 02-18-2022, 05:44 AM   #13
jxnbbl

I just watched a few videos on your layout...I'm wondering it the pre-wire assumed that the controller would be mounted near you 'other controls'. you could scope out in those walls or even just the hole you made to make sure there isn't a 'coil a foot away'. Another way to do this is to get a toner and try to trace from the point that you've exposed. I believe that is what happened in the thread jasin1 just posted.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:00 AM   #14
Thomas4972

Quote:
I just watched a few videos on your layout...I'm wondering it the pre-wire assumed that the controller would be mounted near you 'other controls'. you could scope out in those walls or even just the hole you made to make sure there isn't a 'coil a foot away'. Another way to do this is to get a toner and try to trace from the point that you've exposed. I believe that is what happened in the thread jasin1 just posted.

Actually i have three holes. One where the BAL wires came out in the middle of the pass thru The two I made to the left side about 18 inches apart. I did use a 36inch inspection camera and i could only see the colored wires that go to BAL7.3 and a red and black that also go to BAL 7.3 and front Zamp port Its very had to see with all the insulation stuffed into it. Think my next move is to drop the under belly a little to see and follow the wires that go up into the cap. And my last option is to cut out half of the pass thru paneling .
Equalizer 4pt 14k
Old 02-18-2022, 06:24 AM   #15
jasin1

I looked at some videos for your model rv…two different videos..one shows the black plastic box on the front wall in the back of the picture and one doesn’t …maybe that’s the location of the wires? Where they mounted the black plastic box in the one photo? Look in that general area even though your missing the black box
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E10527C2-EC19-4F25-BDD9-F8DCFA152A3A.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	38410   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF64E2EA-36A6-4BA2-8DD5-D60F51A6D0D7.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	38411  
Old 02-18-2022, 07:20 AM   #16
Thomas4972

Thank you that helps out a lot, my RV was built November 2020 during the height of the RV covid pandemic. I heard a lot of them around that time had a lot of piss poor workmanship. I noticed numerous things on my RV that are off. I'm heading to an RV show today in Maryland and hopefully I can get some answers today.
Equalizer 4pt 14k
Old 02-24-2022, 05:37 PM   #17
rlh1957

Quote:

Prepped is just what you have, that’s all you getter. Their play words are “prepped” and “solar ready”.
You wouldn’t have a charge controller installed unless solar panels were installed. The charge controller must match or exceed what comes from panels and also controls amount of charge going to battery bank. An MPPT charge controller matched to the panels you install.
The Solar Prepped talk is only a sales gimmick and the plastic box they mount in pass through seem like something is there but is only for looks.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:46 AM   #18
firestation12

Install your panels in series which will allow you to put more total wattage panels on the roof and not have to pull bigger wires. Just be sure that your solar controller is rated to handle a greater input voltage.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:55 AM   #19
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Prepped is just what you have, that’s all you getter. Their play words are “prepped” and “solar ready”.
You wouldn’t have a charge controller installed unless solar panels were installed. The charge controller must match or exceed what comes from panels and also controls amount of charge going to battery bank. An MPPT charge controller matched to the panels you install.
The Solar Prepped talk is only a sales gimmick and the plastic box they mount in pass through seem like something is there but is only for looks.
I understand this. The response was for the OP where the thought that the roof cap wiring was wired directly to the giggy box/battery. That doesn't make sense. As for the solar prep, the "OTG package" or solar flex coming I found to be useful and more that the sales pitch with the 'portable panel port' as the pre-installed roof cap, wiring can handle 500-600W of panels with is useful. More you would have to rerun the wiring.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #20
Thomas4972

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I have 4 stickers on my trailer that state solar ready. My dealer also confirmed this. My question was, where are the wires.?
I went out and bought a toner/trace and was able to trace wires from roof port to the passenger side of pass through. Also found inverter Romex. Still confused on why you're explaining a charge controller when the question was where are the wires?

Tags
outback, solar