Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
Mike Bennett

29BHPR front running lights, lights partially out??

Hey folks,
So, I am new to the forum, looks like a great place for info!

My situation, I have a 2020 Premier 29BHPR. Love the unit, great upgrade from my previous TT.
On my last tow, I noticed something, and I'm worried on what it will take to repair. Across the top of the front cap, there is a row of orange LEDs when your running lights are on. There are like 4 bulbs that are out near one side of the cap. So imagine an LED string, with a 4 bulb section burnt out.

Anybody else have this issue, and know what the resolution would be? I'm betting replacing the whole string is the fix, but I'm bummed this happened on such a new unit.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Mike Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:33 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If the problem is 4 LED's in a string of 30 or 40 LED's do not illuminate, then the "string of LED's needs to be replaced. We've had the same "problem" with awning light LED strings since they became popular. LED's are typically very reliable, but water, corrosion or "just bad luck" can cause them not to work properly. I don't know of any "repair practice" that replaces individual LED elements in an LED array. I'm sure "it can be done" and likely "somebody on You Tube" has a video on how to do it at the kitchen table... But...

Good thing, in your case, it's only 4 LED's across the top and as long as the rest remain functional, the light still serves its purpose... At this point, replacement is just cosmetic.

If your trailer is a 2020, then the LED array might still be covered by some manufacturer's or distributor's warranty. If you can find a manufacturer's label or if your dealership can obtain that information, you might try contacting the manufacturer to see if they will provide a warranty replacement. Even if they say no, all you've lost is a bit of time to research who to ask for help...

This is a link to what I think is your LED array: https://www.trekwood.com/products/12...-12-Wire-Leads But, it is only one of several brands and types that would/could have been used on your trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:41 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know what you've tried but my trailer has 3 different LED strips on/across the front cap. I never use those strips but I did turn them on a month or so ago and the long strip across the top had about 4 across the length that did not come on. I was disappointed that they would fail so quickly but left them on and went inside. A few minutes later I came out and I had 2 not working. Left it a while longer and all of them were working. Tried them again on a different evening and the same thing; dead when first turned on and then slowly they all start working. Guess they need to "warm up"? Reckon you might have something like that?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Reading Danny's post, I wonder: ....

Yeah, I know, but.... Here's what I wonder: The LED strip is supposed to replace the running/clearance lights across the front of the trailer. Those lights, on conventional incandescent fixtures is either "two lights, one in each corner" or "five lights, one in each corner and three in the center"...

I wonder if the "non-operating LED's" might be "intentionally disconnected, so simulate the "space between the corner lights and the three center lights" ????

Not knowing "which LED's are not working and where they are on the strip" ... Is it possible that it's supposed to be like it is ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-14-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

IIRC, from my days at a Keystone dealer, all the LEDs are supposed to illuminate.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

The statement "There are like 4 bulbs that are out near one side of the cap" would lead me to believe they are supposed to work. I'd think if it were an intentional "break in the light pattern" it would be equilateral on both sides.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #7
Mike Bennett

Yeah, the whole strip had worked in the past, just noticed on my last tow of the dark section.
I've heard what I expected to hear, bummer. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll all work when I tow this wknd.

Thanks!
Mike Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bennett View Post
Yeah, the whole strip had worked in the past, just noticed on my last tow of the dark section.
I've heard what I expected to hear, bummer. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll all work when I tow this wknd.

Thanks!
At least you're able to tow this coming weekend. We're still at least 2 months and probably closer to 3 months from even being able to de-winterize...

Maybe your lights were just "wet and not working" and will work when they dry out.... That may be "motivation" to climb up there and make sure nothing's leaking !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
light, lights