Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
Jovick

2006 KS Outback 23RS

"New" owner here and first post. We recently sold out popup and got hold of a 2006 KS Outback 23RS camper. We are pretty satisfied with the purchase so far but I have a few issues I need to run by the folks here.

1) The camper lights go dim after a day of usage and this is using the 30amp hookup. Turn things off and go to bed and things are normal again. Initially I would be suspicious of the battery but the fella I bought the camper from said the battery was new. I plan to take the battery out and take to the auto parts store to see if it is bad. If it is good then I suspect the power inverter as the cause. I'm looking for any tips or suggestions with this.

2) a. The awning is worn. Is it difficult to replace the awning?
b. The awning does not slide in and out very smoothly. My wife can't do it at all. I'm guessing I need to oil some spots. But I did notice that one of the metal brackets that slides up and down the long pole is very worn and won't stay in the groove.

3) Where can I get an owner's manual for this camper? Google ain't no help at all.

4) We have cleaned the fridge and its gaskets well but there is still a slight odor we can't seem to get rid of. We put baking soda in fridge and freezer and that has helped but there is still some odor there. Suggestions?
Jovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovick View Post
"New" owner here and first post. We recently sold out popup and got hold of a 2006 KS Outback 23RS camper. We are pretty satisfied with the purchase so far but I have a few issues I need to run by the folks here.

1) The camper lights go dim after a day of usage and this is using the 30amp hookup. Turn things off and go to bed and things are normal again. Initially I would be suspicious of the battery but the fella I bought the camper from said the battery was new. I plan to take the battery out and take to the auto parts store to see if it is bad. If it is good then I suspect the power inverter as the cause. I'm looking for any tips or suggestions with this.

2) a. The awning is worn. Is it difficult to replace the awning?
b. The awning does not slide in and out very smoothly. My wife can't do it at all. I'm guessing I need to oil some spots. But I did notice that one of the metal brackets that slides up and down the long pole is very worn and won't stay in the groove.

3) Where can I get an owner's manual for this camper? Google ain't no help at all.

4) We have cleaned the fridge and its gaskets well but there is still a slight odor we can't seem to get rid of. We put baking soda in fridge and freezer and that has helped but there is still some odor there. Suggestions?
Welcome; go to the UserCP and build a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same for your tow vehicle.

1. You are on the right track getting your battery load tested. If the battery is new, suggest there is likely a date sticker on it. Your camper has a converter and not an inverter. Converts AC to DC and charges the battery. Suspect the battery as previous owners are sometimes speaking with a forked tongue.

2. Awning: there are youtube videos showing how to replace an awning. Not sure oiling anything is the ticket.

3. The owner's manual for your camper also covered every other camper sold that year. Very generic to the point of useless. The appliances and such had manuals and they might be of more help.

4. Fridge will still smell musty after it has not been used a long time and the baking soda is your best bet as far as I know. Here is what consumer reports suggests:
https://www.consumerreports.org/refr...erator-smells/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I have heard coffee grounds will absorb odors.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Your awning can be replaced, search the forum and you will find many answers and solutions for that...I think I read one just today (or yesterday).

Realize on a camper 15 years old you are going to be running into a lot of "what did they do here" kinds of things so you'll have to sort of dig through and into the anomalies.

Stinky fridge? That depends on what was left in it and how long. "Musty" is one thing and baking soda can work if not too bad. If stronger take pans of charcoal briquets and let them sit in there for a while. Fridge left with meats etc. to rot? I replace them because you just can't get it out. As George said; believe what you see and have and NOT what a previous owner told you....bad mojo.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Jovick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Welcome; go to the UserCP and build a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same for your tow vehicle.

1. You are on the right track getting your battery load tested. If the battery is new, suggest there is likely a date sticker on it. Your camper has a converter and not an inverter. Converts AC to DC and charges the battery. Suspect the battery as previous owners are sometimes speaking with a forked tongue.

2. Awning: there are youtube videos showing how to replace an awning. Not sure oiling anything is the ticket.

3. The owner's manual for your camper also covered every other camper sold that year. Very generic to the point of useless. The appliances and such had manuals and they might be of more help.

4. Fridge will still smell musty after it has not been used a long time and the baking soda is your best bet as far as I know. Here is what consumer reports suggests:
https://www.consumerreports.org/refr...erator-smells/
Thanks for the quick reply and advice. Yeah, I suspect the battery may not be new. I'll update the post when I know more.
Jovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
MarkEHansen

Even if a battery is new, it may still be defective. Also, it takes very little time to destroy a battery if not maintained properly. There is a lot to learn about care and feeding of RV batteries. Google is your friend here - or just ask.

Here's just a few points:
1. Don't let the battery go below 80% charge (50% charge for real deep-cycle)
2. Don't let the battery cells go dry (meaning don't let the fluid go below the top of the plates) - only fill with distilled water.
3. Keep the connections clean, tight and corrosion free.
4. Learn the difference between real deep-cycle batteries and marine/combo batteries - you may not need real deep-cycle batteries, depending on your use.

When plugged into shore power, what voltage do you read at the battery terminals? It should be the charging voltage, or around 13.5 (I think) volts. Based on your comments above, it sounds like there may be a problem with your converter.

Tags
outback