Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
GMH

Suburban anode rod

I have a 2010 Cougar 26sab. The anode rod (magnesium) that came with it was eaten up in the first year or two. I have since had this aluminum one in there and it still shows next to no deterioration. I take it out and clean it and drain the tank every fall. I think I should switch back to magnesium. I have left a message with two local RV parts depts to see if they have them. I could order from amazon, but how would I know if I am really getting magnesium instead of aluminum? Thanks for any opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8CA5BE4-2D2B-4C64-99CA-E259057F2405.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	35901  
Old 09-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
I have a 2010 Cougar 26sab. The anode rod (magnesium) that came with it was eaten up in the first year or two. I have since had this aluminum one in there and it still shows next to no deterioration. I take it out and clean it and drain the tank every fall. I think I should switch back to magnesium. I have left a message with two local RV parts depts to see if they have them. I could order from amazon, but how would I know if I am really getting magnesium instead of aluminum? Thanks for any opinions.
https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-Manu...s%2C183&sr=1-4
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
travelin texans

You're concern is that due to it not deteriorating as quickly as the original it's not doing the job?
From my experience water quality was the biggest factor in how fast the rod deteriorated not so much as which type of rod.
Also the from my experience the magnesium rod had a tendency to give the hot water a rotten egg smell.
I added a rv water softener that extended the anode rod life to about 3 years of full-time use before replacement was needed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
A year or two on a magnesium rod is quite acceptable. They are sacrificial, therefore by definition should erode. Going to an aluminum rod is typically only advised for extremely hard water conditions where a magnesium rod would be used up in a few months. Using the aluminum rod can reduce the protection in less harsh water.

The sulfur smell can happen if you let water stand in the tank in hot weather. That's natural and a simple removal of the anode and flushing with fresh water will cure it. In either case, if the unit is not going to be used for several weeks or months the tank should be drained and flushed.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
GMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You're concern is that due to it not deteriorating as quickly as the original it's not doing the job?
From my experience water quality was the biggest factor in how fast the rod deteriorated not so much as which type of rod.
Also the from my experience the magnesium rod had a tendency to give the hot water a rotten egg smell.
I added a rv water softener that extended the anode rod life to about 3 years of full-time use before replacement was needed.
Yes, that is my concern. I have had this one in for about 8 years. It has always been city water in our tank, or campground water, so ? I have however only used the trailer two or three months of the year, and intermittently during that time. One dealer called me back and said he doesn’t stock the magnesium ones because of the rotten egg smell.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
GMH

I think I will order a magnesium one and a new aluminum one. If the magnesium one stinks too bad I’ll put a fresh aluminum one in.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
GMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
A year or two on a magnesium rod is quite acceptable. They are sacrificial, therefore by definition should erode. Going to an aluminum rod is typically only advised for extremely hard water conditions where a magnesium rod would be used up in a few months. Using the aluminum rod can reduce the protection in less harsh water.

The sulfur smell can happen if you let water stand in the tank in hot weather. That's natural and a simple removal of the anode and flushing with fresh water will cure it. In either case, if the unit is not going to be used for several weeks or months the tank should be drained and flushed.
This is about 8 years worth of infrequent use, and always drained for storeage over winter. The original one was gone after the first or second summer. We don’t remember any smell from the original one? If I go back to a magnesium one, would it help after each outing to turn the heater off and run the hot water until there is nothing but cold fresh water in the HWT?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	158CEF1E-CB35-4F40-A855-C501172A6FCC.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	35902  
Old 09-20-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
This is about 8 years worth of infrequent use, and always drained for storeage over winter. The original one was gone after the first or second summer. We don’t remember any smell from the original one? If I go back to a magnesium one, would it help after each outing to turn the heater off and run the hot water until there is nothing but cold fresh water in the HWT?
In all my years camping I have had the sulfur smell one time. It was during a hot summer when I had spinal surgery and left water in the WH for 3 months before I got back to it. No need to run the water until it's cold unless you are pulling the anode to drain the tank. Using an aluminum anode for 6 years without any deterioration is not protecting the tank. You may as well just put a pipe plug in the hole.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
GMH

Thanks all. I just ordered a two-pack of magnesium ones from Amazon. They should be here in two days.��
P.S. I have always used pipe dope for sealant. That should in no way prevent the electrical contact needed between the anode and tank, correct?
Old 09-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks all. I just ordered a two-pack of magnesium ones from Amazon. They should be here in two days.��
P.S. I have always used pipe dope for sealant. That should in no way prevent the electrical contact needed between the anode and tank, correct?

That is correct. Also, I've never had a rotten egg smell from a water heater - just drain and flush every now and again. (6 mos. or so, yearly at minimum).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:54 PM   #11
bobbecky

This is the link for the Suburban magnesium anode rod I just received from Amazon. We full time and have NEVER had sulfur smell or any other bad smell from our water heater in the past nine years we have had it. Notice the photo, it comes pre wrapped with Teflon tape on the threads which does not cause the rod to not work and the instructions in the manual says to use Teflon tape on the threads. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is copied from the manual:
ANODE PROTECTION
The tank in this water heater is protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to
prolong the life of the tank by absorbing the corrosive action of hot water. Under
normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate and because of this, we recommend it
be replaced yearly. NOTE: Water with high levels of iron and/or sulfate will
increase the rate of deterioration; therefore, more frequent replacement may be
required. If anode rod is mostly eaten away, replace it with a new one. (See
Figure 11)
To prevent a water leak when replacing the anode rod, a pipe thread sealant
approved for potable water (such as Teflon Tape) must be applied to the threads
of the anode rod. Proper application of a thread sealant will not interfere with the
anode’s tank protection.
Operating the water heater without proper anode protection will decrease tank life and will void your warranty on the tank. NOTE: Tank is drained by removing anode rod (See “Drain and Storage” instructions).
To extend anode life, drain water from tank whenever RV is not being used. Avoid
any extended time of non use with water in tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	suburban mag anode rod.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	35913  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote