Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #1
CRUSINTHERVLIFE

Vehicle Inspections while traveling

Good afternoon to all safe travels . Was wondering what full time/part time RV travelers due when you vehicle/tow vehicle come due for your annual inspections. Do you travel for a few months at a time , or years traveling. The return to your home state for inspections ? Or due you register your vehicle in another state that doesn't require them ? We live in Virginia were both state and emissions testing are required . When we retire we are planning on traveling for 8 years or more , chris crossing this wonder country we live in . Ram pick up , Keystone Ultra Lite 2520RL .
CRUSINTHERVLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Ca doesn’t require inspections, just emissions testing every other year after the vehicle is 5 yrs old. I personally wouldn’t move or register a vehicle here to avoid the inspections, registration and weight fees are out of hand IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

This solution may not be workable for you, but because we live outside the US it was the only solution for us.
We registered an LLC in Montana. It owns our truck and trailer and they are both registeredin MT. The trailer rego is “permanent” that is, it's a one off registration and then you don't pay any more rego, ever. The truck is also registered there and the registration fees drop each year until the truck is 11 years old, then it becomes “ permanent” too. Also since MT doesn't do sales tax, everything we buy for the truck and trailer is tax exempt.
Be warned though, the authorities in some states are aware of this and people using this as a pure tax dodge. If your rig is registered in MT and you get pulled over by a zealous cop and you have a drivers license from another state, you might get a ticket. I heard that CA is particularly active pursuing this.
I almost forgot, MT does require annual inspections but they don't enforce them.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
Courser Farm

We are in Virginia too, but on the ESVA. No emissions inspection required down here. Got kids/siblings elsewhere in the state that you could shift your address to? But then PPTax might be worse.$3.89/C here on trucks and campers. Just a thought...!
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
CRUSINTHERVLIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
We are in Virginia too, but on the ESVA. No emissions inspection required down here. Got kids/siblings elsewhere in the state that you could shift your address to? But then PPTax might be worse.$3.89/C here on trucks and campers. Just a thought...!
Yep thought about that to , no kids out west
Old 08-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
Javi

You might want to look into the Escapees Group...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
This solution may not be workable for you, but because we live outside the US it was the only solution for us.
We registered an LLC in Montana. It owns our truck and trailer and they are both registeredin MT. The trailer rego is “permanent” that is, it's a one off registration and then you don't pay any more rego, ever. The truck is also registered there and the registration fees drop each year until the truck is 11 years old, then it becomes “ permanent” too. Also since MT doesn't do sales tax, everything we buy for the truck and trailer is tax exempt.
Be warned though, the authorities in some states are aware of this and people using this as a pure tax dodge. If your rig is registered in MT and you get pulled over by a zealous cop and you have a drivers license from another state, you might get a ticket. I heard that CA is particularly active pursuing this.
I almost forgot, MT does require annual inspections but they don't enforce them.
We're actually thinking about doing this with our next trailer purchase. Can I really get a ticket for having a trailer registered to my LLC in Montana?

Is it more likely to happen if I also register my truck to my LLC in Montana?
Old 08-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #8
Carl n Susan

You might want to read these two articles to start with.

https://rvlifestyle.com/montana-llc-titling-rv/
https://rv-dreams.activeboard.com/t48846947/montana-llc-for-titling-a-motorhome/
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
MarkEHansen

Was that a copy/paste error? Both links are the same.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
We're actually thinking about doing this with our next trailer purchase. Can I really get a ticket for having a trailer registered to my LLC in Montana?

Is it more likely to happen if I also register my truck to my LLC in Montana?
We have done two years traveling and done about 20,000 miles and haven't been pulled up ... yet.
But, if you live in the US and go this route, you should understand the risk you're taking.
I'm pretty confident that we won't get fined or sued because we live outside the country. So there's no reason we should pay sales and use tax (to any arbitrary state) when we don't live there. But beside the tax avoidance aspect, the LLC was the only and best legal route for us to own a truck and trailer in the US.
As the articles mentioned, a lot of people do this. I also agree with the articles that if you do it only for the tax dodge, that's unethical.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #11
Carl n Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Was that a copy/paste error? Both links are the same.
Yup! I corrected the Post to show two different links (although the first link does mention the second link).
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #12
bobbecky

This is copied from the Virginia State Police Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual. The way I read #4 and #5, it appears that you would not need to return for an inspection when due, but once back in the state, you have 24 hours to get the inspection done.

19VAC30-70-25. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirements.

A. The following shall be exempt from inspection as required by § 46.2-1157 of the Code of
Virginia:
1. Four-wheel vehicles weighing less than 500 pounds and having less than six horsepower;
2. Boat, utility, or travel trailers that are not equipped with brakes;
3. Antique motor vehicles or antique trailers as defined in § 46.2-100 of the Code of Virginia and licensed pursuant to § 46.2-730 of the Code of Virginia;
4. Any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is outside the Commonwealth at the time its inspection expires when operated by the most direct route to the owner's or operator's place of residence or the owner's legal place of business in the Commonwealth;
5. A truck, tractor truck, trailer, or semitrailer for which the period fixed for inspection has expired while the vehicle was outside the Commonwealth (i) from a point outside the Commonwealth to the place where such vehicle is kept or garaged within the Commonwealth or (ii) to a destination within the Commonwealth where such vehicle will be (a) unloaded within 24 hours of entering the Commonwealth, (b) inspected within such 24-hour period, and (c) operated, after being unloaded, only to an inspection station or to the place where it is kept or garaged within the Commonwealth;
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #13
rhagfo

So sorry we live in Oregon, no inspections, and I can renew both the truck and 5er via mail. Best of all I can have the new tabs mailed to a different address than my residence address so can be mailed to where I am at.
We renew every other year, and a diesel over 8,500# GVWR doesn’t need DEQ testing. During Covid shutdown we needed to renew both, easy. peasy!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:50 AM   #14
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
This is copied from the Virginia State Police Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual. The way I read #4 and #5, it appears that you would not need to return for an inspection when due, but once back in the state, you have 24 hours to get the inspection done.

4. Any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is outside the Commonwealth at the time its inspection expires when operated by the most direct route to the owner's or operator's place of residence or the owner's legal place of business in the Commonwealth;
Clearly this is why lawyers get the big bucks. I read it as saying that if your inspection expires when you are someplace out of state, if you get stopped, your registration will only be honored if you are on a direct route back to VA from wherever you were the moment it expired.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:40 AM   #15
CRUSINTHERVLIFE

Vehicle Inspections

Thank you all for your reply's looks like we will be doing allot of zigging and zagging our great county. And we will be going with the flow of course. Take care to all of our fellows wonderer's .
Old 08-20-2021, 06:37 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Since this was about inspections, and TX has them, I just wanted to throw this out; I've been stopped far too many times to count back in the day when traveling to take care of business. I've never, once, been asked about an inspection on a vehicle. I am asked to provide license and insurance only. I mentioned it to a sheriff's deputy in FL and he said they didn't care about it - it was a state thing, and in TX where I'm registered they DO check. Of course in TX now you can't register your vehicle unless it has been inspected so they are tied hand in hand. I figure inspections and registrations are state mandated items and it would be very hard for an out of state LEO to write a citation for a violation of another state's laws - that's my take, some of our LEO members can probably clarify. I think the best way to avoid inspection or registration scrutiny is to avoid getting into a situation where it is possible.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:59 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Since this was about inspections, and TX has them, I just wanted to throw this out; I've been stopped far too many times to count back in the day when traveling to take care of business. I've never, once, been asked about an inspection on a vehicle. I am asked to provide license and insurance only. I mentioned it to a sheriff's deputy in FL and he said they didn't care about it - it was a state thing, and in TX where I'm registered they DO check. Of course in TX now you can't register your vehicle unless it has been inspected so they are tied hand in hand. I figure inspections and registrations are state mandated items and it would be very hard for an out of state LEO to write a citation for a violation of another state's laws - that's my take, some of our LEO members can probably clarify. I think the best way to avoid inspection or registration scrutiny is to avoid getting into a situation where it is possible.
In Texas you can renew the tags without an inspection, there's a box to check in the online form stating that you're out of state & agree that as soon as you re-enter you'll have it inspected. I have done this too many times to count & never an issue.
But, in Texas at least, there's no emissions testing on diesel vehicles, it's simply a "safety" inspection, horn, lights & brakes. And depending where you live there may or may not be an emissions test required, usually only in/around large metropolitan areas such as DFW, Houston, Austin, etc.
Texas has bounced back/forth, it's like watching a tennis match, for years on doing away with the inspections, but as of a year ago it's still going on.
It's no different than your driver's license, it's valid anywhere you travel, whatever YOUR state requires to get it/keep it are only rules you need be concerned with
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #18
gearhead

I'm due for inspection and license plate tag renewal in August. I'm out of state right now and will be cutting it close to get back in time. I usually just wait until I pull it out of storage after August and drive the 8-10 block to have it inspected. Last time the inspector said...I recognize you and you're OK, just give me the $7 and we're good.
My son has driven for 2 years with expired inspection/tag.
It's not a big deal around here. I assume if the local cops suspect your a dope dealer it would be different.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:20 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
In Texas you can renew the tags without an inspection, there's a box to check in the online form stating that you're out of state & agree that as soon as you re-enter you'll have it inspected. I have done this too many times to count & never an issue.
But, in Texas at least, there's no emissions testing on diesel vehicles, it's simply a "safety" inspection, horn, lights & brakes. And depending where you live there may or may not be an emissions test required, usually only in/around large metropolitan areas such as DFW, Houston, Austin, etc.
Texas has bounced back/forth, it's like watching a tennis match, for years on doing away with the inspections, but as of a year ago it's still going on.
It's no different than your driver's license, it's valid anywhere you travel, whatever YOUR state requires to get it/keep it are only rules you need be concerned with

As recently as last Oct. I advised the local DMV office that my registration would expire while I was gone and how could I renew it if out of state. I called the first time and talked to the DMV clerk that handles it and she said they could renew out to 90 days and I would get an inspection when I returned but we were looking at almost 6 mos. Went in and talked to our elected county clerk and she told me the same thing. I asked so what to do? She said "you have a 5 day grace period" to which I replied "really, what about a 45 day grace period?" No such thing, just drive back with expired registration, get an inspection and come get a new registration (tag sticker) which I did.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As recently as last Oct. I advised the local DMV office that my registration would expire while I was gone and how could I renew it if out of state. I called the first time and talked to the DMV clerk that handles it and she said they could renew out to 90 days and I would get an inspection when I returned but we were looking at almost 6 mos. Went in and talked to our elected county clerk and she told me the same thing. I asked so what to do? She said "you have a 5 day grace period" to which I replied "really, what about a 45 day grace period?" No such thing, just drive back with expired registration, get an inspection and come get a new registration (tag sticker) which I did.
I never went in to renew my registration, always done online. There were times it would be 6+ months, both due in Jan & usually not back in Texas til May-June, before I got either inspected & no one ever said anything.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote