Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
Weldon

30 Amp EMS - sloshy

As mentioned in a couple posts, we've been in Jekyll island, ga dealing with a few intermittent bands from the tropical storm. Tuesday was the worst. Went to leave today and performed the normal steps for disconnecting power. Didn't look at EMS. Haven't looked at it all week (my mistake). Noticed what looked like water in the EMS window where the codes are shown. Noticed power cord from TT was VERY hot. Replugged in EMS only, turned on power to the pole, and nothing....no power. One tooth on my cord from TT looks fried (pic 1). Shook the EMS and could here water sloshing around.

9 hrs later got home and the wife was able to drain a majority of the water. I'm confused. I opened it up and everything looks good. No signs of anything burned or blown. Just looks wet. Smells a little like something burned. Questions...

#1 - I bought this used but thought this was waterproof. The nut was tight...had to get a wrench and apply a lot of force to turn it. How can water get into this?

#2 - assuming no warranty since it was previously owned???

#3 - guessing I need to be happy that this protected our TT and buy an internal EMS with extra display. Essentially it was insurance well spent.

#4 - how often do you check the EMS if you own an external?? Daily? We had no lightning, but heavy rains and high winds.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210626_105921.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	34301   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210626_185447.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	34302   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210626_221229.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	34303   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210626_221311.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	34304  
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

I bought a Progressive EMS (the 30A hang on pole type) from eBay and if I recall it was an open box sale. After a year of use it failed and I contacted Progressive with the serial number and they replaced it. Those things are built to be in weather and if you had water in it, obviously it was right so give the Progressive support a try.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I bought a Progressive EMS (the 30A hang on pole type) from eBay and if I recall it was an open box sale. After a year of use it failed and I contacted Progressive with the serial number and they replaced it. Those things are built to be in weather and if you had water in it, obviously it was right so give the Progressive support a try.
Thanks George. I will. Can you give me some advice on my 30 Amp from the TT where a prong is burned? Do I need to do anything? If this was yours, what would you do? I understand a Texas and Georgia summer show little to no similar characteristics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210626_105921.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	34315  
Old 06-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would replace that. Either get a new end or new shore cord.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

After Progressive replaced my EMS, I later replaced the cord with a premium quality cord with the end molded as the previous cord had shown signs of the same heat related melt. I had cut off the original cord and installed a new 30A plug and it ended up showing the same issue of melt so I ended up replacing the whole cord. It is actually fairly easy in my camper. After full disconnect from power (even disconnected the battery), I removed the drawers from above my power station/converter and the black panel in the cabinet next to it. This is where the cord comes in. I had to undo a couple of cable stays (metal loops over the cable to secure it to the floor) and then just disconnected the black from the main 30A fuse, the white from the neutral buss and the take the cable nut off the ground. Pull old out and push new through and used the original cable stays. No more signs of heat. I think perhaps the wire on the old cable had gotten oxidized over the year and perhaps I had not clipped enough off when installing the replacement plug. I bought my new cable from a good quality USA company. It is 30'.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:46 AM   #6
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
After Progressive replaced my EMS, I later replaced the cord with a premium quality cord with the end molded as the previous cord had shown signs of the same heat related melt. I had cut off the original cord and installed a new 30A plug and it ended up showing the same issue of melt so I ended up replacing the whole cord. It is actually fairly easy in my camper. After full disconnect from power (even disconnected the battery), I removed the drawers from above my power station/converter and the black panel in the cabinet next to it. This is where the cord comes in. I had to undo a couple of cable stays (metal loops over the cable to secure it to the floor) and then just disconnected the black from the main 30A fuse, the white from the neutral buss and the take the cable nut off the ground. Pull old out and push new through and used the original cable stays. No more signs of heat. I think perhaps the wire on the old cable had gotten oxidized over the year and perhaps I had not clipped enough off when installing the replacement plug. I bought my new cable from a good quality USA company. It is 30'.
George, just wanted to say thanks for telling me to give Progressive customer service a chance. I sent them an email and explained my issue. They sent me a link for filing a warranty claim. Although they are backup up a little bit right now due to COVID (they get a lot of their parts from other small businesses who are working out of their houses right now), it will likely be 7/12 at the earliest before the replacement is shipped out, they are replacing the PT30X and a new 30A cord (30').

They also do not need for me to send the defective unit back to them. They told me to cut the head off and then recycle it.

They were extremely pleasant to deal with, which is abnormal for our current retail environment (and I work for a major retailer). They have definitely earned a customer for life. I would rather pay a little more and then, if something goes wrong, deal with a company like Progressive, than save a few bucks and deal with the normal customer non-service BS.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:02 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

They did their component assembly in the USA then moved it to Mexico and folks were concerned about their quality. I can't speak to a possible quality slip but their customer support wins my vote. They now have competitors and I think that drives attempts to keep customer support high in a niche market.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
Weldon

i can't remember if I posted this already. it's been hectic around the house for the past couple of months. Between 8-year old football, 10-year old cheer, work, COVID, the dreaded honey-do list, etc., we've been going non-stop. I've had to cancel 2 camping trips because of it. One was a 7-night spot directly on the water that i waited over a year to get. i'm not bitter about that at all.

Progressive customer service came through on their promises. I will have no problem buying from them again. They sent me a replacement EMS 30 plus a 25-foot cord. I converted the mousehole to a locking outlet with no problems. After drying out the sloshy EMS, I put it back together, used silicone to seal it up, and have tested it 4 or 5 times. It works perfectly. I haven't actually been on a trip since Jekyll Island, but hopefully we'll get there soon...November if the football team makes the playoffs. Since they are 3-0 so far and have already played most of the better teams in the league (8 game season), they probably will. Next week we're going on a historical Virginia trip (Williamsburg, Yorktown, etc.) but staying in a hotel. It's a school trip for the kids. I could say I'd rather stay in the camper, but I'd be lying.