Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
Salty25

Getting a 5er

We decided to get a 5th wheel. We had a 24SABWE for a few years and will be getting the 24RDS next week.

Making a list of things I'll have to replace; surge protector, power cable, power adapters, etc.

The 24RDS has auto level so I'm not sure if I should put a Level MatePro system in it as a backup. I'll have my level stick for sure to verify the level. I did a search on here about the front stabilizer tripod. Seems to be a mix of feelings on if they are worth it or not. At first I thought they were mainly for the large 5ers that would have a heavy, or heavier, front.

I made some jack pads for my SABWE out of 4X4s and 2X4s. They worked great for diminishing the wobble. I'll make some more for the RDS but will use 4X6s and 2X6s this time.

I'm getting the Andersen Ultimate hitch to pull it around. I have a Bakflip on the TV. I read that some had no issue with theirs but some did. I'll leave it off for the pickup and haul home. Then I'll do a few test hooks to see if it will be an issue before hitting the road. I do plan to take it down to the local store at night and practice doing some docking. I drove freight for a bit and know different size trailers will swing differently so I'm going to a open lot to try it out first.

I ran the numbers and my TV can handle this 5er without a problem. I don't load anything in my truck other than the wife and I with a cup of coffee and a bottle of water. I don't carry five kids and 12 bikes with 300 pounds of clothes.

But if you guys have any suggestions on things to lookout for or to get I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

First off, if your new trailer is NEW, you need to know about the frame warranty exclusion if using the Anderson. Most people that have autolevel don’t use kingpin tripods and once level is set the first time you shouldn’t need to adjust. Jack pads are a good idea.

To make sure you have enough truck, look at the GVWR of the trailer, then figure 20% is pin weight. Look at your payload sticker in your truck and start there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
Salty25

chuckster57,

Thanks for the tips. I'm also a retired LEO and have seen the results of overloaded trucks and trailers. I have always tried to learn from others mistakes.

I had a post retirement job of driving delivery trailers, pulling anything from a 28 footer to a 53 footer with an occasional doubles. Which is why I plan to go out and test the swing of it as I'm backing.

I figure the Andersen with a goose-ball connection would be less weight then getting a sliding hitch. Thinking more of my back than the TV.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 06-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I just wanted to make sure your aware that the use of an Anderson hitch will void any frame warranty claims from Keystone and Lippert. Anderson does carry an "insurance" policy in case you get denied, but you may want to read the fine print a couple of times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Salty25

I'll look into that warranty issue you mentioned. Wasn't aware of any.

Thanks again.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 06-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty25 View Post
We decided to get a 5th wheel. We had a 24SABWE for a few years and will be getting the 24RDS next week.

Making a list of things I'll have to replace; surge protector, power cable, power adapters, etc.

The 24RDS has auto level so I'm not sure if I should put a Level MatePro system in it as a backup. I'll have my level stick for sure to verify the level. I did a search on here about the front stabilizer tripod. Seems to be a mix of feelings on if they are worth it or not. At first I thought they were mainly for the large 5ers that would have a heavy, or heavier, front.

I made some jack pads for my SABWE out of 4X4s and 2X4s. They worked great for diminishing the wobble. I'll make some more for the RDS but will use 4X6s and 2X6s this time.

I'm getting the Andersen Ultimate hitch to pull it around. I have a Bakflip on the TV. I read that some had no issue with theirs but some did. I'll leave it off for the pickup and haul home. Then I'll do a few test hooks to see if it will be an issue before hitting the road. I do plan to take it down to the local store at night and practice doing some docking. I drove freight for a bit and know different size trailers will swing differently so I'm going to a open lot to try it out first.

I ran the numbers and my TV can handle this 5er without a problem. I don't load anything in my truck other than the wife and I with a cup of coffee and a bottle of water. I don't carry five kids and 12 bikes with 300 pounds of clothes.

But if you guys have any suggestions on things to lookout for or to get I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.
I purchased the level mate pro..used it once just because I wanted to use it...don’t need it unless your at a big open campsite and trying to find a relatively level spot to unhook or if your boondocking and want to drive to a level area before disconnecting and using auto level IMO
Old 06-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
First off, if your new trailer is NEW, you need to know about the frame warranty exclusion if using the Anderson. Most people that have autolevel don’t use kingpin tripods and once level is set the first time you shouldn’t need to adjust. Jack pads are a good idea.

To make sure you have enough truck, look at the GVWR of the trailer, then figure 20% is pin weight. Look at your payload sticker in your truck and start there.
I use the tripod,is that not a good thing to do? It seems to keep the bedroom area from shaking
Old 06-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Here’s the thread about the Anderson. I use a tripod, but I don’t have auto level.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...light=Anderson

Old 06-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I'll look into that warranty issue you mentioned. Wasn't aware of any.

Thanks again.

Salty Lippert/Keystone have determined not to cover any frame damage they determine was caused by an Andersen hitch as you will read. Andersen has their policy but contains an out for them as they have a 3rd party that has to determine it was caused by the hitch, not manufacturing defect; a regular circus. The Andersen owner would then be caught in the middle (I own one).

I am not aware that Andersen has ever paid a claim for a failed frame but, I'm not aware of any damaged frame ever proven to be the fault of the Andersen. There have been instances of failed frames (a few) and wall structures. Most were, from what I could find, assessed as being manufacturing defects by most - other than Keystone.

As for me I've met lots and lots of folks using the Andersen and never talked to anyone that has had a frame failure due to one. The key motivator IMO for the warranty denial by Lippert is due to their release of the Reese Goosebox hitch which is basically a modified 5th wheel pinbox that will connect to a goose ball in the bed - they wanted to eliminate some of the competition.

I have a SWB, CC Ram 3500. If yours is short bed with a BakFlip (I also have one) the Andersen works fine in it. I just flip up the first 3 sections so I can strap them with a bungee cord and everything works fine. The cover is in front of the ball and you would have to put the trailer in about a 100 degree twist before you would have to worry about hitting the bedcover.

I let my LevelMate Pro go with the last trailer since this one had auto level. If I had it I wouldn't use it; the leveling system takes care of it. I will note that I stay in improved campgrounds so I'm not running into huge grades when setting up. If you do just put some cribbing or lego blocks under the low side before autoleveling if it's bad enough.

As far as the tripod under the nose...I use one. Seems to help with the movement but the primary reason was because DW wanted a washer and dryer up there. With that additional weight I wanted to bolster the front to hopefully mitigate any problems with the frame along with the movement.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #10
Salty25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Here’s the thread about the Anderson. I use a tripod, but I don’t have auto level.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...light=Anderson
Thanks for the link. I wonder why the dealer is still pushing the Andersen if Keystone isn't going to honor the warranty?

I'll contact them tomorrow and find out another option.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 06-06-2021, 03:24 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

If your truck has the goose ball in it, I would look at the Reese “goosebox” or the B&W.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:26 PM   #12
Salty25

sourdough,

I would think that the dealer would notify the buyer of any warranty issues when they are buying from them. But then they just want to make the sell and get the money.

I left my level matepro in the TT I had as well. But was just thinking of having a backup if needed but then I do have the level measurer I'll carry.

Thanks for the info on the Bakflip. I really like that cover and would hate to get rid of it if I don't need to.

I'll take it out a couple times and see if there is any movement in the front area before buying a tripod.

Thanks again.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 06-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
sourdough,

I would think that the dealer would notify the buyer of any warranty issues when they are buying from them. But then they just want to make the sell and get the money.

I left my level matepro in the TT I had as well. But was just thinking of having a backup if needed but then I do have the level measurer I'll carry.

Thanks for the info on the Bakflip. I really like that cover and would hate to get rid of it if I don't need to.

I'll take it out a couple times and see if there is any movement in the front area before buying a tripod.

Thanks again.

If it were me (I have a bad back as well) I think I would check into the Goose Box. I thought about replacing the Andersen I just bought with the Goose Box but mine is covered (bought prior to the Lippert/Keystone cutoff date) for warranty and; from all the reading I've done on the Andersen and Keystone 5th wheel frame failures I decided it is more just luck. Most have no issues with the frame but some, like every other trailer, come out of the chute with some defect that is unrelated to anything else. If you're unlucky you get that one.

Since you haven't invested in the Andersen yet you might check out the Goose Box to see if it might work for you. I've read that it can be difficult to line it up and set up over the ball. Do you have a bed camera? That would probably help. I thought this one did but it just has the backup camera (last one had the bed camera ).

You might also ask them what their take is on the Andersen after Lippert/Keystone put out that memo. I know my service manager was really high on the Andersen when I bought mine....but that letter had not come out either.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:45 AM   #14
Poppy

I have the Anderson Ultimate hitch. I’ve used it for just over a year, now. The dealer told me it was his most popular hitch. I’ve not had any problems with it, and it’s easy to hook up. My wife has even done it a few times. Shme’s even pull it out and put it back on for and after using the bed for hauling. Gotta say, though, my 5er’s gross weight is only 10,000 lbs.
I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #15
Salty25

I read through that thread a little bit more today. It seems that Andersen started a warranty program to stand behind their hitches. They say if your RV manufacture refuses a repair, for the frame, based on their product they will cover the repair.

I called the dealer to give them a WTH on the whole warranty issue. Of course the sales guy said he knew nothing about any warranty issue. So he called the service rep and was told they have the letter from Andersen that says they will cover frame damage if their hitch is used. From all my time in the Navy and in LE I know that if it isn't written down somewhere it didn't happen. So show me the writing on the paper that I will file.

On another note: I flipped up my Bak-Flip and looked at the bed camera. I can't see where the ball would be on the bed floor. So if I went with the Goosebox I'd have to get a different cover. I may just get another cover any way. That Bak-Flip is getting heavier it seems as I get older.

Hopefully this time next week I'll be pulling into a camp site for the shake down cruise.

Thanks again for all the input and help.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 06-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #16
Poppy

Salty25, I have RA and the weight issue is a big thing for me. The Anderson Ultimate only weighs 35 lbs, so that was a big plus for me even though that’s still quite a bit heavier than my restriction. I even have a lift mounted in the bed of my truck that I had installed before the hitch.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:37 PM   #17
Salty25

I picked up the new 5er today.

I took the Bakflip off for the hitch install. There is a lot of room in front of the pin box. I put the Bakflip back on after getting it home and there isn't an issue at all with it being there.

I asked why they didn't put any safety chains on the setup. They said the chains aren't needed and I can add some if I want. I think I want to add some. So I'll be heading to the local HD and getting a couple hooks and a few feet of chain.

The B&W goose hitch they put in has chain points already. Any suggestions on location to attach the chain to the pinbox?

Thanks for the help/ info.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 06-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #18
tech740

Quote:
I picked up the new 5er today.

I took the Bakflip off for the hitch install. There is a lot of room in front of the pin box. I put the Bakflip back on after getting it home and there isn't an issue at all with it being there.

I asked why they didn't put any safety chains on the setup. They said the chains aren't needed and I can add some if I want. I think I want to add some. So I'll be heading to the local HD and getting a couple hooks and a few feet of chain.

The B&W goose hitch they put in has chain points already. Any suggestions on location to attach the chain to the pinbox?

Thanks for the help/ info.
Did you go with the Andersen? If so they make a bolt kit that the chains hook to right at the coupler.
https://andersenhitches.com/collecti...ate-connection

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:25 PM   #19
Gary R.

Hello Salty,

That is a very nice looking setup you have there!

Have fun and travel safe.

BTW, thank you for your service, it is appreciated!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #20
Salty25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Did you go with the Andersen? If so they make a bolt kit that the chains hook to right at the coupler.
https://andersenhitches.com/collecti...ate-connection
I actually saw that in the Andersen installation manual I was given. That kit is going for $80 locally so I'll swing down and pick one up.

I didn't think about attaching to the coupler block. I was thinking the chains would go directly onto the pin box.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement