Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
Wawhoss

Dometic model 310 toilet water leak

We were in Galveston last week and we started seeing, what I think is clean water, seep out around the base. I can’t see the source. When i got home I changed out the water valve. That didn’t help. Any suggestions? Thanks

Ed aka Wawhoss
Wawhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You see it seeping? What kind of toilet/model? I had a Thetford once that loved to "seep" out from under the bottom due to a leak in between the upper and lower halves of the toilet. A Dometic isn't built/designed in the same way. You don't list your RV year so don't know if something might be worn out, broke or brand new. Have you checked the seal under the toilet or pulled it up to check (about 10 minutes)?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
Wawhoss

Dometic 310

I have a ‘15 Keystone Laredo 5th wheel. I have changed the water valve. My next move would be to pull the toilet and check the gasket in the morning. Just wanted to see if anyone had run unto the problem. The toilet is a dometic model 310. Thanks

Wawhoss
Old 05-18-2021, 02:39 AM   #4
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You see it seeping? What kind of toilet/model? I had a Thetford once that loved to "seep" out from under the bottom due to a leak in between the upper and lower halves of the toilet. A Dometic isn't built/designed in the same way. You don't list your RV year so don't know if something might be worn out, broke or brand new. Have you checked the seal under the toilet or pulled it up to check (about 10 minutes)?
OP stated Domestic 310. I believe he meant Domedic.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:41 AM   #5
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawhoss View Post
We were in Galveston last week and we started seeing, what I think is clean water, seep out around the base. I can’t see the source. When i got home I changed out the water valve. That didn’t help. Any suggestions? Thanks

Ed aka Wawhoss
so, you changed out the water valve without knowing if it was leaking?? why? get down on your hands and knees with a mirror on a stick and find out where the water is coming from. Look while it is flushing and/or filling. Or try to take a picture with your phone.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
bobbecky

Instead of burning a bunch of money and wasting time changing parts out, for a couple hundred bucks, replace the toilet. https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Stand...s%2C471&sr=8-5
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
notanlines

I see Bob's point, but I might be inclined to go along with Danny first and go this direction:
Turn off the water and flush the commode
Remove the 2 nuts holding the commode in place
Lift the commode straight up and set it to the side as far
as the water line allows
Stuff a hand-full of TP into the top of the black pipe to stop the smell
Turn the water back on and observe with a flashlight where the water leaks
Now you know
(Before you follow all this advise, make SURE the leak you see is NOT what
you flushed earlier)
The black foam ring is easily replaced. Also make sure there is no rotted
flooring in the area you're working.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
OP stated Domestic 310. I believe he meant Domedic.

Correct. I read the title, then read the post, then replied to what was in the post not thinking about the title specifying a 310. The comments on the Thetford were irrelevant for the OP but the rest was.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:31 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I have a ‘15 Keystone Laredo 5th wheel. I have changed the water valve. My next move would be to pull the toilet and check the gasket in the morning. Just wanted to see if anyone had run unto the problem. The toilet is a dometic model 310. Thanks

Wawhoss

You need to observe exactly where that water is coming from. If it's been doing it a long time you very well may have floor damage. A toilet seal can be installed improperly, "crooked", and not seal thus causing a leak. The best thing is to identify, by however means, where that water is coming from by hook or crook. You can pull the toilet and if that seal is crooked, crimped on an edge or something like that you may have found the problem.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:19 PM   #10
Wawhoss

Dometic 310

I’m going to pull the stool in the morning. I’ll bench test it and hopefully trace down the source of the leak. Will post back here to let you know what I find, thanks.

Wawhoss
Old 05-19-2021, 03:25 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I’m going to pull the stool in the morning. I’ll bench test it and hopefully trace down the source of the leak. Will post back here to let you know what I find, thanks.

Wawhoss
Be careful climbing on top of that bench when you "test" it. Come to think about it, be extra careful wen You "pull the stool" this morning.
Sorry, my immaturity just flashed a funny visual.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #12
Pull Toy

I just replaced the "310" in my 2013 Alpine. It was leaking between the ceramic upper and the plastic lower halves. This clear water settles inside the toilet mount area. Dometic toilets literature states the toilet is not repairable, but upon removing the old one I flipped it upside down and examined the interior part.

The halves are joined by a flat compression gasket and four bolts. I didn't try to repair mine because I already had purchased a replacement, and it was well beyond the refund period, but it seemed like a liberal coating of RTV, or Form-a-gasket would solve the leak issue. It might be worth a try.

For what it's worth, the new 300 series Dometics have a high quality wooden seat with a no slam feature.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #13
Wawhoss

310 Dometic toilet

Yesterday I pulled the toilet out of the camper. The floor under the toilet flange looks fine.

Put the toilet on a 5 gal bucket and hooked the garden hose up and flushed it 12 to 15 times and did not see any leak. I ordered a new floor flange gasket, should be here tomorrow. The old floor gasket looked fine but I’m not going to reuse it. Will post again tomorrow and update, thanks.

Wawhoss
Old 05-20-2021, 04:36 PM   #14
foldbak

My 2018 did the same in late 2020. The dealership replaced it under warranty. The valve was faulty.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #15
Wawhoss

Dometic 310 toilet

Got my new floor flange gasket from Amazon yesterday. Reinstalled the toilet, new gasket is working and no leaks. Looking at the old gasket I think it just aged out, I guess. Thanks guys.

Ed
Wawhoss

Tags
leak, mod, toilet, water, water leak, dometic