Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2021, 07:37 AM   #1
RadioGuy2

Cougar 25RDS Ohio

New camper here. My wife and I just spent 2 weeks in Florida with her brother & sister in law. They are snow birds leave for Florida in December and return to Ohio in March. Suffices to say we got the camping bug.

We were searching for a gently used travel trailer so we could experience camping an not break the bank. After much research we decided the buy new. The CV19 has put a lot of pressure on the used RV / TT market. We found a nice Coachman Spirit 2557RB, small couples trailer and had narrowed down our search and started to visit dealerships to experience the trailers.

I did some more research on the max we could tow with our 2013 F150 EcoBoost (that is a completely different story on how we came upon this great truck). It turned out we could tow a bit more as I educated myself on all those numbers. This opened up another foot or 2 on length.

We liked the Keystone 25RDS. Visited the dealer last Friday to see it. I came home and did a comparison vs the Spirit to justify the extra $5K in cost. IMHO the Cougar is worth it with electric jacks, king bed, 2nd door and counter space. Bath access with the slide closed is important to us.

We went back on Saturday to buy is and it was gone! It had sold an hour after we left on Friday. We put a deposit down and are hope it will arrive soon. Dealer told us 30-90 days. We are so pumped!!

A bit about us. Recently retired from a 34year career as a cellular radio technician. The Lord truly blessed me with a fantastic job. I started almost day 1 on a cell phone network and never looked back. What a great Ride! Happily married 35 years looking forward to spending more time with RadioGal while we travel the highway!
RadioGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:03 AM   #2
gregrc75

Welcome! If I were buying new right now the 25RDS is my current favorite judging from research online. I have not had the ability to see one in person yet because they are new and very popular and get sold almost immediately. I have only been able to see the fifth wheel sibling of it - Cougar 24RDS.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Congrats on your new trailer!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy2 View Post
New camper here. My wife and I just spent 2 weeks in Florida with her brother & sister in law. They are snow birds leave for Florida in December and return to Ohio in March. Suffices to say we got the camping bug.

We were searching for a gently used travel trailer so we could experience camping an not break the bank. After much research we decided the buy new. The CV19 has put a lot of pressure on the used RV / TT market. We found a nice Coachman Spirit 2557RB, small couples trailer and had narrowed down our search and started to visit dealerships to experience the trailers.

I did some more research on the max we could tow with our 2013 F150 EcoBoost (that is a completely different story on how we came upon this great truck). It turned out we could tow a bit more as I educated myself on all those numbers. This opened up another foot or 2 on length.

We liked the Keystone 25RDS. Visited the dealer last Friday to see it. I came home and did a comparison vs the Spirit to justify the extra $5K in cost. IMHO the Cougar is worth it with electric jacks, king bed, 2nd door and counter space. Bath access with the slide closed is important to us.

We went back on Saturday to buy is and it was gone! It had sold an hour after we left on Friday. We put a deposit down and are hope it will arrive soon. Dealer told us 30-90 days. We are so pumped!!

A bit about us. Recently retired from a 34year career as a cellular radio technician. The Lord truly blessed me with a fantastic job. I started almost day 1 on a cell phone network and never looked back. What a great Ride! Happily married 35 years looking forward to spending more time with RadioGal while we travel the highway!
Do yourself a big favor, post the yellow/white tag from your F150 on the driver's door post that states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXX lbs", that's the payload for that truck. From that number subtract the tongue weight of that rv (typically 13% of the rv GVWR), all people/pets/stuff loaded in or on that truck plus 100lbs +/- for the WDH.
Please don't fall into the same trap as others have in the past with this false statement, "that rv dry weight is only XXXXlbs & my truck is rated to tow XXXXlbs, so we're good!" WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Rv dry weights & truck max tow weights are totally useless in the rv world. You, nor anyone else, will ever tow a rv at or near that dry weight & the truck max tow number in the rv world will exceed the payload long before you'll get to that max number.
That TT is right at 30' long with a GVWR of 8800lbs so the tongue weight is likely to be well over half of the payload of your F150.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. I know you are bare all enthused and check "the numbers" but you are loooking at numbers that don't translate to a camper. The "tow rating" is useless. Take at look at the payload rating on the yellow and white drivers side door pillar. That 30' long trailer has a max GVW of 9,000 pbs and your tongue weight at 13% = 1,000 - 1,100 lbs. A 30' trailer WILL push around a 1/2 ton truck in wind either from weather or passing vehichles.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
travelin texans

Guess Marshall & I were typing at the same time, but the advice is the same!
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-29-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Guess Marshall & I were typing at the same time, but the advice is the same!
Copy that!
Old 03-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
RadioGuy2

Thank you all for your input and concern and good advice. My truck will handle safely towing this 25RDS. Is the F150 the best tow vehicle? A F250 would be better yes. I did all the homework before I made the major investment. This RDS will tax my F150 but is nowhere near maxing it out. Yes salesman will sell you more trailer than you can tow.

RG
RadioGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Thank you all for your input and concern and good advice. My truck will handle safely towing this 25RDS. Is the F150 the best tow vehicle? A F250 would be better yes. I did all the homework before I made the major investment. This RDS will tax my F150 but is nowhere near maxing it out. Yes salesman will sell you more trailer than you can tow.

RG
As long as you're happy!
I'm absolutely sure your F150 will "tow" it, you could "tow" with a Ford Focus, it's the "carrying" it safely is the questionable part?
Just trying to help keep you & your family safe!
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
Gary R.

Hello Radio Guy, welcome to you and Radio Gal!

The members above have provided excellent advice about towing weight numbers.

Enjoy that new RV when it arrives, and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #10
tanglemoose

We bought the 25rdswe on Jan. 12th and have been snowbirds in it since then.... we have a 2019 Tundra half ton truck, pulls like a charm. These are half ton series rvs... the 8800 lbs is IF you have your 76 gallons of gray water full, 38 gallons of black full, and everything else loaded to max, dry weight is 6200 lbs.

We love this floor plan.... we have the OTG pkg, they need to put remote panel for inverter INSIDE the Rv... putting one in when we arrive home...

Enjoy!
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglemoose View Post
We bought the 25rdswe on Jan. 12th and have been snowbirds in it since then.... we have a 2019 Tundra half ton truck, pulls like a charm. These are half ton series rvs... the 8800 lbs is IF you have your 76 gallons of gray water full, 38 gallons of black full, and everything else loaded to max, dry weight is 6200 lbs.

We love this floor plan.... we have the OTG pkg, they need to put remote panel for inverter INSIDE the Rv... putting one in when we arrive home...

Enjoy!
If you were told the only way to exceed the GVWR of your rv was to completely fill the holding tanks, you received some bad information!
Traveling with a family it can happen quickly with all their "required stuff" or if fulltiming with the perceived "must haves" that get loaded in but never unloaded.
A 8800lb rv will have a tongue weight in excess of a 1000lbs on a 1/2 ton pickup with a 1500lb payload (probably the Tundra payload +/- a 100 lbs) doesn't leave much room for people, pets & other stuff.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-30-2021, 01:23 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Danny it's a no win deal. How many times have we heard " My Tundra will pull anything" and I ran ALL the numbers" ? How many times do those folks post their true payload numbers or visit a scale to find out what their stuff actually weighs? It's human nature to get caught up in the "gee, wouldn't this be great" and the salesman telling you what you want to hear. Some people deal in reality and some folks choose to decieve them selves to justify their decisions.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:45 AM   #13
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:24 AM   #14
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia and congrats on your purchase.

When I purchased my new "Half Ton" TT in October 2020 I pulled it home with a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500. What a scarey ride that was, and I had towed horse trailers loaded with my horses. But nothing I had towed in the past compared to the trip home that day.

I drove GMCs for over 15 years and still miss it, but for towing a RV nothing compares to my current tow vehicle. The Ram with the Cummins is a towing beast.

Just wanted to share my first day experience. Enjoy your new RV and safe travels.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:49 AM   #15
markcee

Quote:

RG
I was in your shoes. Unless you have the unicorn heavy duty payload package 'HDPP' F150, you may be closer to maxing things out with an 8800 lb trailer than you think. As others have said, I suggest posting your cargo carrying capacity as found on the yellow/white sticker on the driver's side door pillar.

I would also take a look under the hitch receiver and see what the maximum tongue weight is listed as. My Cougar '1/2 ton' loaded up at 8900 pounds has a scaled tongue weight of 1300 pounds. Depending on the tow package you have, your current hitch receiver could potentially be a limiter. I had a '19 max tow package equipped F150 and the hitch rating for tongue weight was 1,320 lbs.

While I found the F150 with the 3.5EB pulled our trailer just fine, I just didn't feel like the truck was always the boss in the operation. 30' long, 11' high and 8K pounds is a lot of trailer for a 1/2 to handle, especially if towing up/down grades in wind etc.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #16
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglemoose View Post

Enjoy!
Someone lied to you and you are in Dreamland.

Notice no yellow door sticker from OP? Anyone think he is well under payload unlerss he has a bare work truck?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #17
KeystoneKal

This comment isn’t related to towing. I’ve watched several YouTube videos where the presenter highlights three areas that you should check before you buy. Check the sleeping areas. Is the bed really comfortable? Check the toilet position. Some are jammed in a corner and closing the bathroom door makes them almost unusable.
Check the shower. Can you stand up with headroom and elbow room.
Shortcomings in these area become obvious in the first week of ownership.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #18
apachewolf

Quote:

RG
My 2014 F150 SuperCab is good for 1684lbs total. I am pulling a 2015 Keystone Laredo 240MK with a GVWR of 7200 lbs. I can tell you that I am within the limit but barely.The trailer you are looking at is TOO MUCH trailer for that F150. And we are only 2 people in the camper. Be smart and listen to the friendly voices here. I have about 15 years of camper life under my belt, and there is constantly new stuff to learn. I know it hurts to find out that the truck you have will be maxed out and than some but that is life. And if your truck is a "CrewCab" number will be less than 1684 lbs.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #19
crowbar

I'm with Apachewolf. I had an F350 and a 5ver and now I've scaled back a bit to an F150 and a bumper pull. The trailer I have now has a gross weight of 7525 lbs. and I'm happy with the combination. Went the other week looking at new Cougars but told myself I wouldn't consider anything over 8000 lbs gross. I think you're overdoing it with the trailer your looking at personally unless you don't load anything in it. Your specs may say you can pull 16000 lbs. but the weight that you can actually put on your truck is way less, maybe 2000lbs on a good day.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #20
crowbar

Also the length is an issue. If you go ahead with it, you'll have to be very careful. Wishing you all the best with whatever you choose to do.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar