Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2021, 09:05 AM   #21
Dfarland

To cavie

Thank you especially for insulting my intelligence. Maybe I don't know what everything is called but I am not stupid. Next time why don't you just not respond. Your kind of help is not needed.
Dfarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:21 AM   #22
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If you aren't smart enough by now to plug in the "Twist-lock deal" to push the plug in tight and turn it to the right, then install the locking ring, You might as well sell the RV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfarland View Post
Thank you especially for insulting my intelligence. Maybe I don't know what everything is called but I am not stupid. Next time why don't you just not respond. Your kind of help is not needed.
I have not been around here that long but I have participated in Internet forums since before the Internet all the way back to terminal based bulletin boards. I can't imagine why this type of behavior would be tolerated on this forum. This is not an isolated case with this particular member....

I don't care how old and crusty you are, everyone deserves a little respect.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #23
jfk69

Quote:
Describe "Blowing up" are you tripping a breaker? If you aren't smart enough by now to plug in the "Twist-lock deal" to push the plug in tight and turn it to the right, then install the locking ring, You might as well sell the RV. A power conditioner will do you no good at all. It is not used for anything like the problem you are having. A power conditioner is used to protect sensitive electronics which we do not have in our RV's.
Wow. Try being a little less rude, dude. Apologies that most of us mortals can’t approach your God like status.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Keep asking questions ..no one is an expert on everything..we all have things to contribute and everyone has they’re own expertise in life ..some people are better at communicating then others ..maybe it was just a poor choice of words on his part..don’t be discouraged
Old 03-27-2021, 01:44 AM   #25
John&Genny

Quote:
You DO NOT need a power conditioner!
You might be a retired master electrician, but I disagree with your statement that you don't need a EMS like a Progressive if that's what you are referring to. Not only do they provide surge protection, but also detect and prevent connections to reverse polarity, open ground, open neutral, etc. Also if you have a brownout or OV condition, they will drop the shore power and won't connect again until a specified timeout after the problem is resolved. Best thing you can have for your RV electrical.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:
I have blown up 3 or 4 power converters now and it's becoming annoying and expensive. It is coming from the connection at the 50 amp connection to the outside power. Sometimes that twist lock deal is not in there quite right and if you turn on the power it blows the converter and it's off to Camping world to buy a new one. Is this a bad power cord or bad receptacle? Anyone know of a power conditioner that would protect the converter and handle the 950 watts necessary to run it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Quote:
I am using a Camco power defender but that doesn't help in this situation. The twist plug isn't completely engaging. There is no ground. I have an electrical plug tester and you can plug that into one of the outlets and it shows no ground. Now you can go wiggle the twist lock plug to clear the no ground situation but you have blown up, and yes I mean blown up the power converter. The fuses do not blow, those are for mis polarity issues.
The power converter doesn't like not having a ground evidently.

I have tried to pay special attention to plugging the thing in, but it still keeps happening. Either the plug or the receptacle? It's hard to describe on a forum.
Well the OP looks to be using a Camco Power Defender, in looking at the description it is a EMS/surge suppression device, but is a plug in unit, which has one flaw it doesn't protect problems withe power cord its self. It appears to only have LED light indications of faults.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Protect...96633759&psc=1

Now if the OP were to install a Progressive EMS like the HW50C then the protection is as close as possible to the panel and it covers any faults with your 50 amp cord and connections. it has a remote LED digital display of wiring faults.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AN1UA8...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your 50 amp cord set could have a wiring fault, either at the blade end, or the twist lock at the trailer could have a wiring fault, or the receptacle has a wiring fault.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:01 AM   #27
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
You might be a retired master electrician, but I disagree with your statement that you don't need a EMS like a Progressive if that's what you are referring to. Not only do they provide surge protection, but also detect and prevent connections to reverse polarity, open ground, open neutral, etc. Also if you have a brownout or OV condition, they will drop the shore power and won't connect again until a specified timeout after the problem is resolved. Best thing you can have for your RV electrical.
The problem here is in the language used to describe things. By all means, an EMS is a much-needed piece of equipment. I need no explanation of what an EMS is or how it works. What other people on this forum need is someone to explain things to the newbies and not just go thru the conversations without educating them on what they are talking about! A Power Condidtioner is in no way at all needed in the RV world. YET everyone just goes along and does not say a word and the OP learns nothing! 27 posts and the OP still thinks he needs a power conditioner. Just like calling an EMS a Surge Protector. Two different things!! I apologize for telling it like it is!! Just the world I was brought up in.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #28
rhagfo

Quote:
The problem here is in the language used to describe things. By all means, an EMS is a much-needed piece of equipment. I need no explanation of what an EMS is or how it works. What other people on this forum need is someone to explain things to the newbies and not just go thru the conversations without educating them on what they are talking about! A Power Condidtioner is in no way at all needed in the RV world. YET everyone just goes along and does not say a word and the OP learns nothing! 27 posts and the OP still thinks he needs a power conditioner. Just like calling an EMS a Surge Protector. Two different things!! I apologize for telling it like it is!! Just the world I was brought up in.

Quote:
I am using a Camco power defender but that doesn't help in this situation. The twist plug isn't completely engaging. There is no ground. I have an electrical plug tester and you can plug that into one of the outlets and it shows no ground. Now you can go wiggle the twist lock plug to clear the no ground situation but you have blown up, and yes I mean blown up the power converter. The fuses do not blow, those are for mis polarity issues.
The power converter doesn't like not having a ground evidently.

I have tried to pay special attention to plugging the thing in, but it still keeps happening. Either the plug or the receptacle? It's hard to describe on a forum.
My earlier reply address one of the issues with plug in EMS, that they don't cover issues past them, mainly the cord and it's connections.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:28 AM   #29
cavie

Now you can go wiggle the twist lock plug to clear the no ground situation but you have blown up, and yes I mean blown up the power converter.
'

Now I need a definition of Blown Up and Power converter I read it as the op does not know how to install twist lock plug. and I don't know what a "Power Converter " is.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:42 AM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

A “power converter” in an RV is an electrical device that plugs into 120VAC and produces 12VDC. To further the education process an “inverter” hooks up to 12VDC and produces 120VAC.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:48 AM   #31
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
A “power converter” in an RV is an electrical device that plugs into 120VAC and produces 12VDC. To further the education process an “inverter” hooks up to 12VDC and produces 120VAC.
Yes, I am aware. I realized after I posted that. The OP mixing words has my head spinning.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:50 AM   #32
rhagfo

Quote:
Now you can go wiggle the twist lock plug to clear the no ground situation but you have blown up, and yes I mean blown up the power converter.
'

Now I need a definition of Blown Up and Power converter I read it as the op does not know how to install twist lock plug. and I don't know what a "Power Converter " is.
Well rather than demeaning the OP ask the question.
The power converter to experienced RVers is the device that "converts 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC, and provides charging to the batteries. They come either integrated into the power distribution panel, or as separate unit plugged into an outlet wired to the panel.

This is a stand alone, https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D...69555100&psc=1.

This would be an example of an integrated unit, https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF8955PE...60952610&psc=1.

As to blown up, I would assume the "Smoke Got out", I would hope the OP checked the unit for blown fuses, if nothing else have the service department at the RV dealer check the unit to see what has failed.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:56 AM   #33
cavie

I'm done with this thread.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:30 AM   #34
Brantel

Quote:
I'm done with this thread.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #35
gearhead

^^LMAO. Good one.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #36
Dfarland

I want to thank everyone who responded, even cavie, I have solved my problem here with the progressive ems. Now I don't have to worry about someone not getting the plug in there right.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #37
Vhess

We have a 2020 Keystone Montana legacy.
The first yr we had electrical problems.

Inverter and converter has been replaced. Keystone paid the repair man..
2021 same problems..
Now 2022 same problem estimate to fix is $2200.00
Keystone says it out of warranty ...even though the problem was never fix with our electrical
Insurance Company denied our claim.
Stating it's a manufacturer issue
My question is has anyone had the same problems if so how or whom did you contact to get Keystone or the
Insurance Company to help us with what their calling a manufacturer issue.
Should we file a complaint with someone
Will the manufacturer replace our fifth wheel and issue us a new one. I just do not know what to do.
ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
MY husband uses a cpap machine at night.
When the power stops working quess what so does his cpap... he could die.
We live in ours year round ...we also have a home in VA.
Send me a PM if you can help me in any way. Thank you, Vera
Vhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:46 PM   #38
hankpage
Site Team

Vera, In an emergency you can run an extension cord from the 20 amp outlet on the power pedestal into the trailer to run the c-pap. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:58 PM   #39
Dfarland

Experienced the same problems, I have at least stopped the end result

We have experienced the same problems. With us it is the 50 amp shoreline connection with the receptacle. It is very difficult to get that twist lock connector to work. If it is not in there just right there is 240 volts across the power inverter which quickly produces a puff of smoke and it is end of the road. We ended up installing an EMS system between the shoreline connection and the power inverter so it will not even start up if it is not plugged in correctly. So far we haven't had to replace another power inverter, but we still struggle with that connection. We never did replace the receptacle, maybe that is the original problem...
Old 04-28-2022, 03:27 AM   #40
jasin1

Definitely use a ems and keep the pedestal breaker off until you are completely plugged in …I turn off breaker….plug in my ems..turn on breaker and check power…turn breaker off and plug in shore power ..then turn breaker back on

Tags
converter, power