Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2021, 05:19 AM   #1
Molive

Hot water bypass valve

I just upgraded to a 2021 keystone bullet and when I turn the hot water bypass to off there is no hot water coming out the faucet. Almost feels like a second valve is somewhere on the trailer. Has anyone experienced this before?
Molive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:26 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molive View Post
I just upgraded to a 2021 keystone bullet and when I turn the hot water bypass to off there is no hot water coming out the faucet. Almost feels like a second valve is somewhere on the trailer. Has anyone experienced this before?

The bypass valve opens the line to the hot water heater or shuts it so I am not sure what "off" means. If you turn the valve to the other position, do you get hot water? If the tank was drained for winterizing and you open the valve it can take some time for water to fill the tank and start flowing as air must be purged out of the lines. To do this, put the bypass valve in the position where water flows into the tank, the valve handle will be pointed in the direction of the pex piping and open up the faucet nearest the water heater. It takes awhile for the tank to fill and water coming out the faucet will be just a dribble till the tank and lines to the faucet fill. Then do the same with the other water faucets inside your camper. Eventually warm water will flow. Make sure you have the water tank filled before turning on the gas and or electric heating. To check if the tank is full, open the relief valve and water will come out readily.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
Molive

Thank you, I’ve tried what you’re explaining. When I mean no hot water what I should have said is no water at all, like I switched a valve off
Old 03-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Was it working properly prior to you turning the bypass valve? What was going on prior to turning it off, what was working and exactly what did you do to turn off all the water in the RV? Realizing that the bypass valve only controls the hot water I'm curious what all happened for it to impact the cold water as well.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #5
Molive

It’s our first run in it so I have nothing to go on. I have 2 valves, one for winterizing and one for a by pass. When I turn bypass off it’s like turning the main water breaker to the house off, no water comes out of the hot sides of every faucet.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:23 AM   #6
Molive

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	32443
Not sure I’m uploading correctly but here’s a picture
Old 03-14-2021, 07:39 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I could be wrong but in the pic it looks like both the winterize and the bypass are in the wrong position.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #8
Molive

I tried every combination I could let night. I moved them both upward and am warming the water up. I’ll let you know!
Old 03-14-2021, 07:47 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Your water heater plumbing may be one of 3 different set-up.

1 valve only with 2 check valves
2 valves with 1 check valve
3 valves with no check valves

The basic plumbing set up for all our water heaters in our campers is an H pattern

Think of the left and right straight lines on the "H" has the water in (cold line), and the the other side of the "H" as the water out (hot line).

Between the two, the horizontal line on the "H" is a transfer line that bypasses the water heater when both the "in" and the "out" line are shut off. The middle part of the "H" allows the water to continue flowing without going into the water heater (thus - by passed).

Here is a 3 valve system.

Here is a 2 valve system

Here is a 1 valve system

If yours is a 2 or 1 valve system, then the other valves are in-line check valves. That means water can flow one direction, but not the opposite way. There is a built in valve that detects when the water pressure reverses and the valve closes preventing water from flowing backward in to the water line.

Depending upon your camper's configuration, you no doubt have a second valve. The one turned off is the middle part of the H. In your camper, I have no clue where it would be located. But it should be close to the water heater, and very closely located near the valve you did find.

On EDIT:
Since I started putting this dissertation together, I see more postings occurred on this topic. Yours has a wet bay, (5th wheel????). Agree with the above poster, it looks like you have one valve on winterizing.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I could be wrong but in the pic it looks like both the winterize and the bypass are in the wrong position.
Yep... both of them are in the OFF position.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:53 AM   #11
Molive

So it’s very weird. I turn on the hot water and get a quick spurt of warm water then it goes cold again.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:56 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Turn both valve in the DOWN position, turn on the water and open a HOT faucet. Let it run for a few minutes and then tell us what happens.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:27 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Turning both valves off should get you going in the right direction. Let the water heater fill up and open a faucet to hot until the water runs constant without spewing and hiccuping. Then let the heater run a while on LP (so you can hear it) and when it shuts off try the hot water and see if it's not hot. Sounds like you have it on and it's not had time to heat the water. Did you not do a PDI/walkthrough when you bought the trailer? All that should have been explained.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:41 AM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molive View Post
I tried every combination I could let night. I moved them both upward and am warming the water up. I’ll let you know!
Here is mine in the normal configuration...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_154235.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	32455  
Old 03-31-2021, 04:04 AM   #15
Molive

Fixed

I just wanted to let everyone know the technician found the pex waterline was kinked beneath the water heater in the underbelly of the trailer. He said the line was too long and they shoved it in there and caused a blockage. Thank you everyone for the advice!
Old 03-31-2021, 05:10 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

This a great example of the importance of a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). Simply turning on the hot water faucet during PDI would have identified the issue and prevent all the stress you went thru. Another common issue I read regularly is the "we are on out madine voyage and can't get X to work".

When purchasing an RV the PDI is essential and if you plan on immediatly camping in it then do so in the dealer's lot or as close by as possible. It's better to "kick the tires" for the first time close to the dealer and not several hundred miles away. So often the new buyer thinks the RV works like their home, you come home and you have water at the faucet and hot water available immediatly. You don't have to concerned about how many times you flush the toilet or how many showers you take per day. It's essential to learn how the systems work and how to do some basic troubleshooting when they don't work.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water