Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
BookPaul74

I just bought a set of China Bombs.

I ordered 5 new Trailer King RST tires for my new to me Cougar. The reason I did was the tires on it where a mix of two brands. It had two of the TK with a date code of 3913 and the spare is the same but had never been on the ground. It had two Goodyear ST tires with a date code of 2218. Both were worn down to about 4/32 of tread left.

When I purchased it in August of 2020 I was told that they had replaced the tires two years ago. I figured they had replaced two tires. So it’s apparent that the original tires out lasted the Goodyear’s. I figure to stick with what worked. I thought of going to the 12 ply over the 10 ply but decided to stay with the original. A little tire shop tried to talk me into 14 ply but besides the cost and needing to replace the wheels I figured the sidewall would have almost no flex.

I did order 5 tires so I could replace the 7 or 8 year old spare but FedEx decide to loose one so I waiting to hear back if they have found it. I had a mobile installer do the work, I also purchased 4 tires for the rear of my truck.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
notanlines

Paul, I believe this is a first. Any particular reason you bought into the China bombs? If I had them on the trash trailer I'd tell friends I found them along side the road.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
Customer1

They only replaced two of the four? I wonder if you have a bad axle or an alignment issue.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:03 AM   #4
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Paul, I believe this is a first. Any particular reason you bought into the China bombs? If I had them on the trash trailer I'd tell friends I found them along side the road.
Because the length of time that they had lasted. I had Michelin LT tires on an Alfa I owned and had two of them blow out and damaged the floor and side of the trailer. They were replaced with off brand tires from Walmart, where still doing good and still on the trailer when I sold it after 4 years.

It’s the sun and load that kills the tires. Watch the air pressure.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:06 AM   #5
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
They only replaced two of the four? I wonder if you have a bad axle or an alignment issue.
I’m going to watch that. They had worn evenly across the tread, with just a bit more on the inside.

That’s why it took checking the dates on the tires because I thought it was the other way around. Surprised me.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:21 AM   #6
Northofu1

With all the posts about China bombs and the better choices of tires.
Why would you buy them?
I don't need an answer.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
With all the posts about China bombs and the better choices of tires.
Why would you buy them?
I don't need an answer.
Then why ask the question?

Price $87.00 a tire
Past performance
Old 02-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
Then why ask the question?

Price $87.00 a tire
Past performance
Like that. From what I have seen most tires are made in China so what is the difference? I have the same tires on mine purchased last year. I keep check on them hope for no issues. But I have had other tires and had blowouts. I think it’s a hit and mess but I’m not a tire expert at all.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
foldbak

Please pass the this is going to get good
There are some tire experts on here that may have some input on this conversation.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #10
dutchmensport

I don't have logical input at all. I was over the barrel when a blow out happen to me a couple years ago. Because we were traveling, and absolutely could not locate anywhere that had tires for my Montana fifth wheel, I ended up locating a semi-truck tire shop. Guess what I got on my trailer? Yep, about $275 a tire for commercial trailers. 14 ply, and heavy as a boat anchor. I replaced all 4. I never want another blow-out again!
Old 02-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Like that. From what I have seen most tires are made in China so what is the difference? I have the same tires on mine purchased last year. I keep check on them hope for no issues. But I have had other tires and had blowouts. I think it’s a hit and mess but I’m not a tire expert at all.

If memory serves me correctly, China has over 900 tire plants vs about 300 in the U.S. The thing to look for, IMO, is the plant code on the tire. Several of the TK failures on this forum came from the same plant in the Shandong province.

From there you can make it as complicated as you want; the proliferation of TK failures came as they were a primary tire used on new RVs; they were placed on RVs without a proper capacity reserve for years due to faulty guidelines; their plants do not (did not) have the same oversight and quality objectives as the Chinese plants ran by U.S. companies (as I have been told); and the list goes on.

As for me, I will not buy a TK tire due to a 7k failure - nothing to do with not maintaining the tires. Others have pulled good tires and seen them separating from the inside. So, I've seen and experienced enough from them. Now, is every tire they make bad? I doubt it. Do I want to take the chance to see if I'm the "lucky" guy? Not at all. And btw, when pulling the TKs and replacing with Carlisle Radial HDs, the Carlisles weighed substantially more than the TKs; maybe not double but close. That tells me plenty.

Now, since Foldbak has already brought out the popcorn, figured I'd throw another "log on the fire" to help us pass this dreary day.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
notanlines

Experienced RV'ers have been posting on here for years telling of the misfortunes with the Trailer Kings. My story ends with Geico and a $9K check.
Leading the horses to water won't necessarily make the water level go down. I personally don't give a rat's patoot if you buy the tires, but I'm lost at trying to figure out why you would admit it on this forum.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #13
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
Please pass the this is going to get good
There are some tire experts on here that may have some input on this conversation.
. I read on older thread that the “tire people” had weighed in on.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #14
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I don't have logical input at all. I was over the barrel when a blow out happen to me a couple years ago. Because we were traveling, and absolutely could not locate anywhere that had tires for my Montana fifth wheel, I ended up locating a semi-truck tire shop. Guess what I got on my trailer? Yep, about $275 a tire for commercial trailers. 14 ply, and heavy as a boat anchor. I replaced all 4. I never want another blow-out again!
I mentioned that I was offered Trailer King tires in 235/80-16 RST 14 ply. For about $235.00 a tire. Now if I was spending that amount I would have gone with Michelin LT tires.

Did you change your wheels? The tires are rated at 100 psi and on the TBC site they state you need proper wheels. I would guess you could just about have them flat and the sidewall would hold the trailer up. 😳
Old 02-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #15
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Experienced RV'ers have been posting on here for years telling of the misfortunes with the Trailer Kings. My story ends with Geico and a $9K check.
Leading the horses to water won't necessarily make the water level go down. I personally don't give a rat's patoot if you buy the tires, but I'm lost at trying to figure out why you would admit it on this forum.
I’m new to this trailer towing thing, I purchased my first one in 1973. I’ve also spent 15 years driving semis, thank God I didn’t have to pay for the maintenance. Needless to say I’ve had quite a bit of experience with tires.

BTW I just thought I could share MY experience with tires because I too was surprised at the performance of the last two sets on two different fifth wheels in the 13,000# category.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:49 PM   #16
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If memory serves me correctly, China has over 900 tire plants vs about 300 in the U.S. The thing to look for, IMO, is the plant code on the tire. Several of the TK failures on this forum came from the same plant in the Shandong province.

From there you can make it as complicated as you want; the proliferation of TK failures came as they were a primary tire used on new RVs; they were placed on RVs without a proper capacity reserve for years due to faulty guidelines; their plants do not (did not) have the same oversight and quality objectives as the Chinese plants ran by U.S. companies (as I have been told); and the list goes on.

As for me, I will not buy a TK tire due to a 7k failure - nothing to do with not maintaining the tires. Others have pulled good tires and seen them separating from the inside. So, I've seen and experienced enough from them. Now, is every tire they make bad? I doubt it. Do I want to take the chance to see if I'm the "lucky" guy? Not at all. And btw, when pulling the TKs and replacing with Carlisle Radial HDs, the Carlisles weighed substantially more than the TKs; maybe not double but close. That tells me plenty.

Now, since Foldbak has already brought out the popcorn, figured I'd throw another "log on the fire" to help us pass this dreary day.
It’s not dreary down in Quartzsite butt it’s been windy. 😁😁
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C1BCD55-5C99-4164-B573-BA7091361868.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	799.6 KB
ID:	32024  
Old 02-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
BookPaul74

BTW I replace the tries at 4 to 5 years, have not found any that holdup after setting half of the year.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
Old 02-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #18
Customer1

Consider this, 90+% of trailer tires are made in China. Doesn't it make sense that 90+% of tire failures will be China made tires? I don't believe the China bomb nonsense.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Consider this, 90+% of trailer tires are made in China. Doesn't it make sense that 90+% of tire failures will be China made tires? I don't believe the China bomb nonsense.

Refer to previous posts; when a majority of the failures come from one manufacturer from one plant in China your assumption seems to fall short - but it takes some investigation vs posting opinions.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Of that 90+% made in China 75+% of those have a history of failing at a very young age &/or very low mileage thus "China bombs" are born, Trailer Kings heading up that list. There are a handful of Chinese made tires that have proven track records & are highly recommended, Carlisle & Sailun are a couple favorites, that most of us wouldn't hesitate to buy.
If you don't mind paying twice as much you can buy American made GY Endurance, but in my opinion they're not twice the tire as the couple Chinese tires mentioned above.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote