Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #21
RsPlace805

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
did GM finally figure out the listed payloads of the 2500 is a joke? thought those were federally regulated to only 10,000. maybe something changed. By the way, yet another thread that started out on another topic, turning radius, and ends up in weight limits.
I agree 100% ...every time anyone asks a specific question that has zero to do with payload capacity, gvwr, gcwr, towing capacity, etc.... this forums moderators or OP's always circle it to that topic. I don't think it is happening to be helpful as much as it is to piss in the pool for whatever the reason. Very frustrating �� ��
Old 03-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #22
RsPlace805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandtra View Post
I have just put a deposit on a avalanche 338GK . I have a 2020 2500hd. 6 1/2’ bed . It’s advertised that I can get 87 degrees of turn with a standard non sliding hitch. With the max turn technology. Can anyone verify this ? Or anyone using a standard hitch with a short bed
Mandira, I see that your original post was from 2017. So I have to know, did everything workout with the truck you had, your setup and the max turn technology? Hope you're able to reply...thank you!
Old 03-03-2022, 07:03 PM   #23
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsPlace805 View Post
I agree 100% ...every time anyone asks a specific question that has zero to do with payload capacity, gvwr, gcwr, towing capacity, etc.... this forums moderators or OP's always circle it to that topic. I don't think it is happening to be helpful as much as it is to piss in the pool for whatever the reason. Very frustrating �� ��
I think it kind of comes down to 3 groups of people: some people want to learn, some people need to learn, and some people don’t care to learn. If any of these discussions on payload, weights, etc can help others in the first 2 groups (not necessarily just the OP) who read the posts, good. That is one more person who shows they are not too narrow-minded or arrogant to realize they can still learn something, even if they are not in high school anymore. Plus, there is the added benefit of - we all share the road, if there is one more knowledgeable person out there who is, at a minimum, cognizant of the fact that they are towing over their trucks limits, and drive more defensively and carefully because of it (even if they cannot afford a truck that would put them within the trucks limits), we are all more likely to get back home alive. Me personally, I’ve seen enough RV accidents in our travels (both as they happened or a little bit afterwards), that I really appreciate any little bit of education that gets out there that may help people out to not be apart of one of those accidents, or sitting on the side of the road broke down because of an overloaded truck calling it quits…

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
Old 03-03-2022, 07:27 PM   #24
RsPlace805

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I think it kind of comes down to 3 groups of people: some people want to learn, some people need to learn, and some people don’t care to learn. If any of these discussions on payload, weights, etc can help others in the first 2 groups (not necessarily just the OP) who read the posts, good. That is one more person who shows they are not too narrow-minded or arrogant to realize they can still learn something, even if they are not in high school anymore. Plus, there is the added benefit of - we all share the road, if there is one more knowledgeable person out there who is, at a minimum, cognizant of the fact that they are towing over their trucks limits, and drive more defensively and carefully because of it (even if they cannot afford a truck that would put them within the trucks limits), we are all more likely to get back home alive. Me personally, I’ve seen enough RV accidents in our travels (both as they happened or a little bit afterwards), that I really appreciate any little bit of education that gets out there that may help people out to not be apart of one of those accidents, or sitting on the side of the road broke down because of an overloaded truck calling it quits…
I understand everything you said and I agree with the mindset of attempting to help. However, might I suggest that those who respond in a thread actually bring something to the table on the topic or question that was put forth? Not doing so just comes across as condescending....
Old 03-03-2022, 07:38 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I understand everything you said and I agree with the mindset of attempting to help. However, might I suggest that those who respond in a thread actually bring something to the table on the topic or question that was put forth? Not doing so just comes across as condescending....

Grab hold if you are offended by members trying to help folks out on weights. You found a thread over a year old and then start harping on the moderators and OPs trying to "piss in the pool" of what? Discussing weights? Seeing obvious dangerous situations for members that they need to be aware of? I've got some thoughts but maybe you could "chill"?
Old 03-04-2022, 06:12 AM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandtra View Post
I have just put a deposit on a avalanche 338GK . I have a 2020 2500hd. 6 1/2’ bed . It’s advertised that I can get 87 degrees of turn with a standard non sliding hitch. With the max turn technology. Can anyone verify this ? Or anyone using a standard hitch with a short bed
Quote:
Mandira, I see that your original post was from 2017. So I have to know, did everything workout with the truck you had, your setup and the max turn technology? Hope you're able to reply...thank you!
Well actually this thread started about a year ago. This was shortly after GM and Ford muddied the waters, by labeling a truck over the 10,000# Class 2 limit as 2500/250, not 3500/350.

I will say I see some greatly overloaded trucks pulling big 5er's.

I believe the biggest issue is the pushing by manufactures the huge towing (ablity to pull) ratings, and talking little about carrying capacity. Now days while the manufacture are working at raising payloads of SRW 350 and 3500's, they do this by pushing closer to total axle ratings.
Our 2001 Ram 2500 had total axle rating of 11,284# and a GVWR of 8,800# or 78% of total axle newer SRW one tons have 6,000# fronts and 7,500# rears so 13,500# and a 12,400# GVWR or 92% of total axle rating. That means your truck is already being pushed to capacity, more than before.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 03-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #27
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
My understanding of your post is ....Do as I say, not as I do.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:22 PM   #28
notanlines

“ if there is one more knowledgeable person out there who is, at a minimum, cognizant of the fact that they are towing over their trucks limits, and drive more defensively and carefully because of it”
I couldn’t have said it better! VERY well said!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 03-21-2022, 08:10 PM   #29
army1rob

Yellow sticker hot garbage

I am sick of people talking about the yellow door sticker. It is base model tires at the gross weight. The tires that come on these trucks are for the most part base level. I bought ProComp At tires for my truck and they are rated at 3750 lbs a piece. What happened recently is trucks started using higher rated tires and increased their GVRW. It’s not rocket science just basic math. You want to tow a bigger trailer and don’t want to buy a new truck. Get higher rated tires and some sort of towing helper springs, air bags or other. Dodge figured this out years ago and yet people are still chirping about GVRW. Keep towing your 12000 lb 5rs with duallys. Fricking overkill.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:47 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by army1rob View Post
I am sick of people talking about the yellow door sticker. It is base model tires at the gross weight. The tires that come on these trucks are for the most part base level. I bought ProComp At tires for my truck and they are rated at 3750 lbs a piece. What happened recently is trucks started using higher rated tires and increased their GVRW. It’s not rocket science just basic math. You want to tow a bigger trailer and don’t want to buy a new truck. Get higher rated tires and some sort of towing helper springs, air bags or other. Dodge figured this out years ago and yet people are still chirping about GVRW. Keep towing your 12000 lb 5rs with duallys. Fricking overkill.
If you're trying to win friends and influence people, you're in the wrong forum. Not only is your first post as a new member full of inaccurate information, if you're that "sick of people talking about something" why'd you join to complain about what they are talking about? I'd urge you to "start over on a better footing...

BTW, welcome to our forum. I hope your future time here is well spent.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Oh My! And there we are...the definitive answer!! Add some Pro Comp tires (btdt), get some helper springs, air bags and "other" then your little truck is now a "BIG truck"? You're not the guy sitting across from me pulling that 35' Jayco Eagle with the GMC Canyon are you???
Old 03-22-2022, 01:57 AM   #32
vampress_me

Quote:
Impressive first post, full of all kinds of (non)factual….stuff. But, it’s always nice to know who has little truck syndrome.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
Old 03-22-2022, 05:19 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Great start! Nothing like starting out chastising folks concerned with someone's safety and trying to help and inform by spouting absolute falsehoods. How is it possible that we've not been graced with your wisdom until now? I do hope you stick around and constructivly contribute to the forum within the paramaters of the community rules. There is a link to these rules at the foot of each page or you can use this link. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ork&page=rules
Old 03-22-2022, 06:11 AM   #34
wiredgeorge

Geesh...

OK... to all you towing experts, especially army1rob, I already have truck tires but if I put some air bags on my clunker could I tow 36,000 lbs? army1rob, COME BACK as this place lacks your unique wisdumb. I saw it in a GMC commercial. You think that GMC heavy duty truck had air bags that allowed the 36,000 towing capacity?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 03-22-2022, 06:33 AM   #35
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You think that GMC heavy duty truck had air bags that allowed the 36,000 towing capacity?

Fun Fact: I was looking at some specs on the 2022 Dodges.. and the highest rated payload DRW Dodge has the "Auto-Leveling Rear Suspension" which is... wait for it.... Air Bags.

The same truck w/o bags had a payload that was 1500lbs less.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:48 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
Fun Fact: I was looking at some specs on the 2022 Dodges.. and the highest rated payload DRW Dodge has the "Auto-Leveling Rear Suspension" which is... wait for it.... Air Bags.

The same truck w/o bags had a payload that was 1500lbs less.
What else, besides the air bags, was not on the truck w/o bags?

All truck design by the factory is "certified by automotive engineers in a controlled setting" before being produced on the assembly line.....

Loads of difference in that process and having 3 wrenches and a shade tree....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-22-2022, 06:57 AM   #37
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What else, besides the air bags, was not on the truck w/o bags?

All truck design by the factory is "certified by automotive engineers in a controlled setting" before being produced on the assembly line.....

Loads of difference in that process and having 3 wrenches and a shade tree....

And that process is what allows them to change the sticker on the door... no denying that.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:05 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
And that process is what allows them to change the sticker on the door... no denying that.
That process is not a part of a "shade tree modification" by anybody in their driveway, no denying that either..... In fact, EVERY instruction sheet for air bags that I've seen states, " This kit is to be used on a pickup truck only, and DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR VEHICLE’S MAXIMUM LOAD."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-22-2022, 07:08 AM   #39
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That process is not a part of a "shade tree modification" by anybody in their driveway, no denying that either..... In fact, EVERY instruction sheet for air bags that I've seen states, "This product does not alter the GVWR or Payload of your vehicle".....

Easy, I'm not trying to poke the bear. (Learned my lesson) I was just pointing out that some of the new trucks do in-fact come with airbags from the factory.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Easy, I'm not trying to poke the bear. (Learned my lesson) I was just pointing out that some of the new trucks do in-fact come with airbags from the factory.
And some 2500 trucks come from the factory with a RAWR of 6800 pounds while some 2500 trucks come from the factory with a RAWR of 8600 pounds. Adding air bags to both trucks will not change either payload or maximum capacity, however, I'd suspect that one would "self destruct" sooner than the other, with or without air bags, if both were "critically overloaded with a similar amount of weight".....

The "shade tree installation of Air bags" has nothing to do with what happens to axle reliability (and truck safety) when an axle or a truck is critically overloaded. The fact that "it sits level" is only a minute consideration that only a "fool" would use as the criterion for keeping the family safe while enjoying their RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread

Tags
bed