Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #21
LV_Tom

I have a 2017 Ford F-250 with the 6.2 gas and 3.73 rear end six speed Auto. The max torque is reached at 3750 RPM which gives me 62 MPH. I can tackle almost every mountain pass (I pull in the mountain west) that I hit at the aforementioned 62 MPH. My gas truck also has 15 Ft Lbs more torque than my friends 2002 Dodge Cummins diesel. Pulling my 8,000 lb TT I average 8.8 MPG and 15 MPG in the city. I'm happy with setup. If you're buying new, Ford (2020 and later) comes with a 7.3 liter Gas engine they call the "Beast". It gets the same mileage as my 6.2 Gas does due in part to a 10 speed automatic transmission.

2017 F-250 6.2 Gas
2011 Cougar 27RLSWE
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #22
Badbart56

I'm not a fan of the Ford overhead cam engines. At the dealership level we saw a lot of engine failures if the owners neglected oil changes.

Whereas I oversaw a fleet of the Chevy 2500's with the 6.2 LS engines and they held up quite well. Even had one run 300 miles with only 3 quarts of oil in it! They regularly saw 300K miles before they were sold or traded.

Gas mileage was nothing to brag about. They got 11 mpg and that was it.

That said, i do like the GM LS engines, but if you insist on a Ford (and I like Fords) look at the new 7.3 gas engine. It's a tried and true push rod engine with 430 hp and 475 FT/LBS of torque. It doesn't get any better than that for a gas engine.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #23
jaredjohn4

I vote diesel.

Pulling 25,000 out of the field means nothing. I do that with my 2001 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 when my 2015 Ram 2500 Diesel is in for an oil change. It may throw a little dirt going up hill in the field, but it is fine. If you are going to pull the trailer more than 150 miles a day, you might need a diesel just so you can go through the truck lanes at a truck stop. Trying to get a decent sized trailer into the gas lanes out front while you are on the road is not an easy task.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #24
G Giroux

6.2 ford super duty, 4:30 rear ratio

When I retired in 2014 we purchased a new Cougar 327 RES with a cub weight of 11,800 lbs. After much research we factory ordered a Ford F250, Super Duty 6.2 (gas), specifically ordered a 4:30 rear end towing ratio. (towing package, snow plow package to get the beefier suspension, electric extendable towing mirrors, electric rear slide window etc.) We have travelled from Canada down to Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee and have had no problem. Yes it is thirsty, but it was our preference not to get a diesel or dually. So for our needs and price points we are happy with the combo.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #25
Sarge2

Just a personal opinion... If he is a Ford guy, nothing else would be to his liking... that 30 lb ft of torque would not be noticed.. Get what you really like and you'll be far happier...
I'm a GM guy but decided to try a Ram...(I also have a Ford F150) I have not been disappointed overall with either of them... . I
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #26
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Just skip those little engines and get the 7.3 Godzilla, lol
Dan - The 7.3 and its power would be super nice for him to have (brother in ABQ). Especially if he traverses Raton Pass a few times a year. There's property outside of CS/DEN that has a beautiful covered area for a TT or 5th wheel, attached garage and such. However we're also thinking that this would be bit of an issue should fuel prices eventually rise into the $4 range again. We've both done a lot of reading on this engine and the mpg are just shy of the 6.2, but over the long term it may not be a wise thing. This will still be somewhat of a daily driver for him. He tends to keep his vehicles for a long time, his current 2006 F150 is a perfect example.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #27
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post
When I retired in 2014 we purchased a new Cougar 327 RES with a cub weight of 11,800 lbs. After much research we factory ordered a Ford F250, Super Duty 6.2 (gas), specifically ordered a 4:30 rear end towing ratio. (towing package, snow plow package to get the beefier suspension, electric extendable towing mirrors, electric rear slide window etc.) We have travelled from Canada down to Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee and have had no problem. Yes it is thirsty, but it was our preference not to get a diesel or dually. So for our needs and price points we are happy with the combo.
That's good to hear. We haven't seen any gas inventory on the dealer lots with the 4.33 (online searching in his area). Which makes sense now that you say you ordered it like that. Has to be a MPG thing, even though MPGs are not listed on the window sticker those who know, understand you get this for that... which brings me to another related subject...

DW says, ...so if we were to end up with a larger camper one day, will it have this and that and the other things...? We just got this one situated the way we like it, things are put where we like and we're starting to remember where it is all stashed away, problems are all handled/repaired, and she's talking bigger already! So I said, "ya know that would require a different truck." Could have heard a pin drop.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #28
Gegrad

I will second some of the other responses. If he is a Ford man and wants a gasser, have him get the new 7.3L Ford. Stays with Ford and the torque problem is solved!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #29
Bill-2020

After a lot of discussing, researching, more discussing, more researching, and multiple test drives (multiple in terms of driving the same model multiple times between test drives of the competing truck- this drive the sales people nuts!), the outcome was Ford. There were a lot of factors that came into play, not just being a Ford guy. Certainly that helped, but in the end creature comforts, price, capacity, etc, etc came into play. Two 2020 F250s were purchased late last week. We discovered that low dealer stock already was becoming even lower as the end of the year is approaching and as the hem’s and haw’s came and went, two of the trucks that were test driven on one lot were sold hours later. Big brother decided he would stick around town another week or so and find one to his liking within the state.

Fast forward a week and the results of high and low searching revealed two in south Florida at a dealership that had another dealership closer to me. the cliche’ “go big or go home” came to mind when we decided to purchase both F250s, one while one blue. I’ll take the white one, thank you.

Yes, you read that right. I’ve moved to a F250 from the Tundra. I loved that truck too... I was impressed by the feel and creature comforts of the Ford enough to convince myself to settle in and make a change. Certainly the capabilities are day and night. But given a few other things, I really didn’t want to pass up on this deal. Two trucks are priced better than one, even if they are financed separately. You didn’t think big brother was going to buy ME a new truck did you?! And no way was I going to buy him one either! Although, if either of us had the money tree growing in the yard, we’d buy anything the other one needed or wanted without hesitation. We get along that well and after all we are brothers.

Thanks again for the input from everyone. I miss the Tundra, but I’ve not looked back yet in the past week.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Congrats on the new ride! I think you'll find out what that Tundra was missing when you start towing. Change that signature line with that nice new truck info. Enjoy!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #31
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Congrats on the new ride! I think you'll find out what that Tundra was missing when you start towing. Change that signature line with that nice new truck info. Enjoy!
Thanks, Marshall.

Signature - oh, yeah. Duh!

Stability of the truck body was very evident from the rear passenger seat when my brother test drove the first one with the sales guy. I’m very curious and anxious for that first tow... which happens to be this weekend.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Have fun and look forward to reading your impressions with the new truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #33
Bill-2020

Marshall - the impressions from the road are good. The towing was different in a few ways. The difference between the Tundra and the F250 were mostly noted in how the rear end of the F250 had a more solid feel to the road. I had Hellwig airbags on the Tundra to level the bed load before the trailer was attached (any squat after that was handled by the WD hitch). Those airbags kept the rear end of the Tundra a bit more solid with this trailer, less bounce. The F250 handles that bounce on its own and settles down with ease. I like that a lot. Front suspension is stuff, but it's a solid axle and I didn't expect a Cadillac ride so I have no beef with this (Chevy was better in the front end we thought). That's as much as I can honestly compare them because these are two very different vehicles. Apples and Oranges I suppose.

I had changed the rotors and pads on the Tundra some time ago (slotted and dimpled) and that helped the braking a lot, towing or not, but I will admit (this one's for you Danny...) the F250's 14" rotors are more suited to stopping with a trailer attached. Acceleration was pretty close to as expected.

The Tundra was a lighter truck with a smaller engine (5.7), the F250 we both bought, my brother and I, are 6.2 and a heavier truck. But, I feel that the F250 accelerates better than the Tundra did without towing. As far as towing goes, I've not really given it a chance to show what its got with the trailer attached. I'm not pushing the engine while it's still very new. I suspect that the F250 will pull better under heavier acceleration when asked to do so. Maybe by summer I'll have enough seat time and miles on the truck to ask more of it when merging on to the freeway and such.

Overall, the towing experience is "more stable" - I think that's a fair and understandable term. I was never uncomfortable towing in the Tundras over the years, but the F250 makes it more comfortable, if that makes any sense (not from an aspect of seat comfort, rather handling while towing). Between a 2010 Tundra and the 2018 Tundra (essentially the same truck) and several trailers (RV and non-RV) I got to know them very well and understood the limitations. I've just begun to learn about this F250 but I can already tell it'll be a shorter lesson as this truck seems to be "more sure of itself" - does that make sense to you?

Creature comforts. The seats are good, it'll take a little time for my butt to acclimate to the stiffer sides and bolsters, but that's always to be expected. I belong to the "no-a**-at-all" club so... Let's see- The 8" screen and the user interface is a bit weird to me and leaves a some to be desired, but again this is a whole different world I'm in now. I miss the FM HD tuner I had in the Tundra, poor decision Ford, IMO. There are two FM HD talk radio stations that I listen to at home and now if I want to listen while driving it'll now have to be streaming and I'm not a fan of having to use a cell phone with bluetooth in my vehicles - never have, probably never will. But better cabin sound overall. My brother's 2006 F150 has a great sound too. The power extending mirrors are a plus, thank you Ford (I think that's an XLT feature). Puney rear view mirror for an XLT. A manual flip dimming mirror would be expected on the work truck, but shouldn't be on the XLT. I have an auto-dimming mirror with the compass and homelink buttons from a Tacoma I had many years ago. I've removed the manual one it and put the Tacoma one (Gentex) on. Slightly larger in mirror area and all I need to do is tap into a switched and non-switched power source above the console and run the mirror harness up into it. BTDT many times before.

Oh, DW says "did you mention the heated seats?!" - Yep, she likes that, A LOT! I didn't know that any manufacturer offered heated seats in a cloth seat option. Bonus. Thank you Ford. That makes up the for extra 6" in height she has to climb to get it.

Someone mentioned earlier the "fit and finish" of the F250 and that it wasn't that great. Well, there are some areas that could be better on the interior, and I suspect they aren't any better even in the Platinum, but after all, this is a truck, not a Lincoln Town Car so... It doesn't bother me.

I wasn't even in the market for a different truck - but here I am, and I'm glad I did this. Now my bother has to go look for a trailer at home that meets his needs. That'll be a harder find than the truck(s) was.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #34
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Dan - The 7.3 and its power would be super nice for him to have (brother in ABQ). Especially if he traverses Raton Pass a few times a year. There's property outside of CS/DEN that has a beautiful covered area for a TT or 5th wheel, attached garage and such. However we're also thinking that this would be bit of an issue should fuel prices eventually rise into the $4 range again. We've both done a lot of reading on this engine and the mpg are just shy of the 6.2, but over the long term it may not be a wise thing. This will still be somewhat of a daily driver for him. He tends to keep his vehicles for a long time, his current 2006 F150 is a perfect example.
I'm thinking the 7.3/10 speed and the 6.2/6 speed will hurt equally when gas is $4/gal again. Could get away with less rear gear on the 7.3 due to the higher output torque, which comes on at lower rpm also. Just my opinion and what my next truck will be after 20+ years on my 7.3 PSD...
Best of luck with the new trucks guys!

Tags
ford