Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
BeagleMan

DW has another question

DW did the paperwork while I did the cross over. They gave her the info on the dreaded "Extended Warranty" bit, but told her to think it over. We have some time to think about it, bt she wanted me to ask you guys. Guess she trusts you rather than me. I am a little leary and so is she. But, our delivery driver, who does a great deal of work for the dealer, and his wife works at one in the area, he did recommend it, especially since we opted for the Residential Reefer and Microwave. Sooooo, What say you?

Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
notanlines

I would vehemently tell you no! Are there occasions that it might have been worth the money? Of course, but the VAST majority of the time it is a pure profit for the dealer.
Not to mention, most buyers put that 2-3-4,000 is the purchase so it may be financed for as much as 10-15-20 years. Lord have mercy, think of what it actually cost them!
Nancy Reagan had it right....just say NO!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
BeagleMan

Well, there is no financing here. Its ours. Does that make a difference?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 11-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
Northofu1

I did it once, on a car, was a total waste of money.
I would never buy an extended warranty on anything.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Dont to it!!! Put 50-100 dollars in a special account and after X years it will be there after the factory warranty is done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
travelin texans

Your rv is warrantied for at least 1 year through your dealer/manufacturer. Most of the appliances & other items are warrantied through their manufacturers, in some cases for a couple years. You can buy extended warranty at any time through any company you chose, the difference is your dealer won't get their cut if you wait & buy it on your own.
If you're somewhat handy there's not much on a rv you can't repair yourself with the help of folks on here with years of experience &/or Utube videos.
My opinion is put the $$ you were to spend in an account for repairs & after the initial warranty expires if you feel the need buy the warranty, if not you'll have the $$ to get it repaired.
Typically if you read the extended warranty closely, may require a magnifying glass, you'll find that it must be inspected annually by a authorized agent or warranty is void. Also the list of exclusions is usually much longer than the inclusions.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
Stircrazy

I am different than everyone else. rvs are natorious for breaking down and if your not handy most of the time a warenty will pay for its self. but see if there is a money back if not used plan. the last one I got gives me 100% of the purchase price back at the end of the coverage term if it wasnt used. I think I am getting the money back this year.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Read it, reread it, then read it again. Take a legal pad and write down what is covered on one page and what's not covered on a second page.

Then on a separate page note what's required by the warranty, i.e. Dealer inspections, maintenance by the dealer, etc. That's the "hidden costs" of the warranty. Then go to the dealer and ask how much those inspections and maintenance items will cost over the term of the warranty. Add that sum of those numbers to the initial cost for a "total cost".

If the warranty is a lifetime then figure out how many years you will realistically keep the trailer. So let's say you are anticipating keeping it 5 years. Take the total cost per year multiplied by 5 and then add the cost of the plan. Even if it's transferable you'll never recoup that initial cost.

After you figure out the "true cost" look at what the plan covers. Typically the most expensive item is the fridge, followed by the a/c unit, water heater, furnace. It's unlikely if you have an EMS installed that all would need replacing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #9
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
I am different than everyone else. rvs are natorious for breaking down and if your not handy most of the time a warenty will pay for its self. but see if there is a money back if not used plan. the last one I got gives me 100% of the purchase price back at the end of the coverage term if it wasnt used. I think I am getting the money back this year.

Steve
Always got to be one fly in the ointment.

Seriously, thank dude. I will keep this in mind...
Roll Tide Roll
Old 11-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I think you will find the majority of folks would recommend against purchasing an extended warranty. I was one of those folks that always walked into the financial guys office and told him when he started his spiel to cut to the chase - forget all that and give me a price so I could pay. Then....

The above held true for cars, trucks, boats etc. I bought my last trailer and due to some health issues I was experiencing I opted to pay for a Good Sam extended warranty. Don't recall but think it was maybe 2500 for 7 years. Figured it was money out the door but didn't particularly care. In the 5th year of ownership I developed a leak that was finally found to be a small hole in the galley tank. Cost was 3100 total and Good Sam paid it all but my 500 deduct. Paid for the plan and I didn't spend a lot of painful time trying to take care of the issue. Now, how often does that happen? Not often. First time buying an extended warranty and....bam, hit the jackpot! Tickled me so much bought one on this trailer as well (they HAVE gone up in price). Figured as long as I keep finding ways to break body piece parts I probably need to see if I'm lucky again. YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #11
chunker

First they are not warranties, they are insurance plans, extended service plan. As said these service insurance plans are huge money makers for the dealers which is why they push them so hard. The only time I got one was a used DP motorhome that was in great shape but no servicing information at all. I bought the "insurance" and got maybe 20% return on my "investment". After a couple years I knew what condition the coach was in and more importantly, I knew what maintenance was done so I saved my money and "self insured" as they say. For new, skip it. If I thought the thing was so crappy it was going to fall apart after a couple of years I wouldn't buy it.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
jimborokz

On this unit we got the Forever Warranty because this was going to be our winter home through retirement. So far we've only replace the microwave. Plus it has to go in for inspection each year, cost $140, to maintain the coverage. That does include a roof inspection w/touch ups on caulking.

In hind sight though if I was to do it again I would put $4000 aside in a money market account and self insure.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #13
BeagleMan

Thanks to all of you for your posts. We will be not getting this as we think we are capable enough to put away what we will need down the road. In fact, its already there. Starting off with $3000 and going from there. Adding on as we go. Thanks again.

AC
Roll Tide Roll
Old 11-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
jimborokz

I also like that you have your eye on an F450. I drool at that thought.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #15
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I also like that you have your eye on an F450. I drool at that thought.
I am drooling at the thought of even having one. I think I am going for the XLT trim with a handful of goodies added. Nothing overboard. I have an idea on some matching Montana graphics to go on it tho.

AC
Roll Tide Roll
Old 11-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #16
Vet4jdc

Owned 3 Keystones. Never bought an extended warranty. Never will.