Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
VooDooCamper

Rinsing Black Tank From Outside

I'd like to rinse the black tank from the main drain on my 238ML Passport. I tried the swivel stick method from the toilet, but couldn't get past the smells that emitted from there.

I've seen the Flush King and the Camco Rhino Blaster Sewer Tank Rinser but those don't look like they'd work very well with the drain layout (since the gray/black tee into each other).

Any tips/suggestions?
VooDooCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
Canonman

Does your passport not have a "black tank flush"? These have have been pretty much standard accessories for years. What year is your Passport?
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
KimNTerry

you will have a hard time getting any spray into the tank past the elbows in the output of the any tank. Use a wand, refill to half or more with water, or add an aftermarket in tank sprayer if you don't have one.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
CrazyCain

I use the toilet wand every time. i spin it around, circle it around and put the wand all they way down to the bottom while doing that. I also, like KimnTerry suggested, fill it up almost to the top. Tip: Don't turn the ceiling exhaust fan if you are, that just pulls up the, er, wonder smells of the tank...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Poppy

If you are able and have the tools, you can buy a tornado Black tank rinse to install in your tank. I will require drilling a hole in the bottom of your tank (1 1/2” I think)and some silicone sealer.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T...s%2C183&sr=8-1
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:11 AM   #6
VooDooCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Does your passport not have a "black tank flush"? These have have been pretty much standard accessories for years. What year is your Passport?
2017 model year, last year for the 238 line. They seemed to put all the goodies on the next year 239 model.
VooDooCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:34 AM   #7
ChuckS

I’ve been using the King flush clear adapter with external gate valve for 7 years now in my fifth wheel to clean out black and gray tanks. Never an issue to easily clean the tanks.

I’ve never use the built in black tank pitiful sprayer to clean my black tanks nor will I...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
Canonman

VooDoo,
Here's some good info regarding some of the different types of tank flush adaptors.
This guy is a really a "Rocket Scientist".
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/tes...rv-black-tank/
Sorry, the attachment didn't come through
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I’ve been using the King flush clear adapter with external gate valve for 7 years now in my fifth wheel to clean out black and gray tanks. Never an issue to easily clean the tanks.

I’ve never use the built in black tank pitiful sprayer to clean my black tanks nor will I...
I have one of these and use it occasionally. What I find very beneficial is to drain the black tank, close off the flush adapter gate valve, then open the drain on the gray tank. This sends a strong, high volume flow into the blank tank. Then open the adapter's gate valve and dump.

Typically using this method will dislodge material that the tank rinser doesn't.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
If you are able and have the tools, you can buy a tornado Black tank rinse to install in your tank. I will require drilling a hole in the bottom of your tank (1 1/2” I think)and some silicone sealer.

There are a number of products that claim to be able to flush out a black tank. Watch this video and they do mention the Camco Tornado I believe:
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Flush unit goes on the side or end of the tank, not the bottom.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:52 AM   #12
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have one of these and use it occasionally. What I find very beneficial is to drain the black tank, close off the flush adapter gate valve, then open the drain on the gray tank. This sends a strong, high volume flow into the blank tank. Then open the adapter's gate valve and dump.

Typically using this method will dislodge material that the tank rinser doesn't.
What is a flush adapter gate valve?
Old 10-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
What is a flush adapter gate valve?
One brand is the Valterra Twist on Valve. There are several others.

What he is describing is closing the terminal valve with the black tank valve open, then open the gray tank valve, causing a "rush of gray water" to the sewer dump. Since the "terminal twist on valve" is closed, the gray water is "forced into the black tank with "great volume and force". That dislodges some of the residue in the black tank. Once the "desired amount of gray water in pushed into the black tank, close the gray dump valve, open the terminal valve and dump the black tank. Essentially, it's a "rinse with gray water".

That terminal twist on valve also allows for "equalizing the gray tanks". What you do is close the terminal twist on valve, open both gray tank valves and the gray water will "flow between the gray tanks until they are at the same level. That allows for "increased shower tank capacity or increased galley tank capacity" by shifting the gray water from tank to tank using gravity to equalize the contents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SEWER TERMINAL GATE VALVE.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	30265  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #14
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooCamper View Post
I'd like to rinse the black tank from the main drain on my 238ML Passport. I tried the swivel stick method from the toilet, but couldn't get past the smells that emitted from there.

I've seen the Flush King and the Camco Rhino Blaster Sewer Tank Rinser but those don't look like they'd work very well with the drain layout (since the gray/black tee into each other).

Any tips/suggestions?
Use a microbial black tank treatment and your having to clean or back flush your black tank will be a thing of the past, and stink is gone forever! The microbes will clean your tank top to bottom. Your initial treatment will take a few days to a week to completely clean your tank, but after that no screwing around with a spray wand or any of that. The microbes also destroy toilet paper and keep your sensors clean and working like they should. Just use any TP that says it is septic tank safe. These microbes are not exactly the same as what is used in septic tanks, but similar. These three are top rated. Two you can get from Amazon, and several other places. The third direct from manufacturer. Unique digest-it, Camco sensor cleaner and tank treatment, Tanktechsrx.com. Do yourself a favor and do your own research. Then give one a try. You will be a happy camper. I am a bit surprised more folks don’t know about this. Check it out!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #15
KJJ

I also have a 238ML, but no problem using a wand through the toilet. We do not put TP down it, have a small garbage can for that under the towel shelves, maybe that helps. Try to wand it whenever we dump.
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank