Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
Windsorray

Towing

Hi I have a 2017 f250 6.2 gas engine.
I currently tow a 2019 cougar 29rks I’m looking to trade up to the cougar 367 front living room it weights 11200 would I be able to tow it with the 250 I have
Windsorray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You need to know the capacity as stated on the federal tag located on the drivers door. Without knowing those numbers it’s anybody’s guess.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

That is an 11k trailer dry, it is a 14k trailer gvw and the answer is no IMO. If we think that is wrong we can go into the numbers which I have not looked into specifically since I have before.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:05 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Lots of factors go into a truck's ability to tow any particular camper. We know nothing about your F250. First thing is to determine the payload which, as has been noted, is on that white sticker with yellow trim in the driver door frame. Take a pic of that. Keep in mind that Keystone claims the 367 camper has a pin weight of about 2500 lbs and that is probably MUCH too low for when the trailer is loaded. You ability to safely tow this trailer will be based in large part on the truck's payload capability.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:26 AM   #5
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I personally not have as problem towing that trailer with your truck. All this talk about some stupid sticker makes my head spin. Just use the white sticker for the axle rating. Make sure you have enough tire to handle the weight. Make sure you don't go over the gross combined vehicle weight rating and you are good to go. All i use the yellow sticker for is to determine how much my truck weighs. Say you have a 10,000 payload capacity. Then you subtract the payload number from that to find out how much the truck actually weighs. The number you have left includes all fluids full and a 150 pound driver. Other than finding out how much your truck weight the yellow sticker means nothing. It's not a federal sticker. It doesn't say DOT or federal on it anywhere. it does however say see owners manual for additional information. Only thing that sticker is for is the tire air pressure and tire size that's it.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:53 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
I personally not have as problem towing that trailer with your truck. All this talk about some stupid sticker makes my head spin. Just use the white sticker for the axle rating. Make sure you have enough tire to handle the weight. Make sure you don't go over the gross combined vehicle weight rating and you are good to go. All i use the yellow sticker for is to determine how much my truck weighs. Say you have a 10,000 payload capacity. Then you subtract the payload number from that to find out how much the truck actually weighs. The number you have left includes all fluids full and a 150 pound driver. Other than finding out how much your truck weight the yellow sticker means nothing. It's not a federal sticker. It doesn't say DOT or federal on it anywhere. it does however say see owners manual for additional information. Only thing that sticker is for is the tire air pressure and tire size that's it.
I agree with only one "fact" presented in the above quote: "It's not a federal sticker." Otherwise, it's an "outdated approach to current standards".

Much the same as 50 years ago, I'd load dirt in the bed of my truck "until the tires looked like they were bulging", drive it home and shovel the dirt out of the bed. No regard for safety, no regard for tire loading, no regard for "sticker restrictions".

You simply can't do that today if you expect to "financially survive an incident on the public highways". Every state, every large city and most medium sized city yellow pages will list several law firms with a banner in the ad saying, "Involved in an accident? Recover your losses legally, contact us for a free initial consultation. No fee unless we obtain a settlement".....

Today's "towing requirements go far, FAR beyond meeting the RAWR rating and DOT doesn't care about that yellow sticker."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:01 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
What a naivete statement. Practice saying the bold line. God forbid but you may need to repeat that some day under oath.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:22 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree with only one "fact" presented in the above quote: "It's not a federal sticker." Otherwise, it's an "outdated approach to current standards".

Much the same as 50 years ago, I'd load dirt in the bed of my truck "until the tires looked like they were bulging", drive it home and shovel the dirt out of the bed. No regard for safety, no regard for tire loading, no regard for "sticker restrictions".

You simply can't do that today if you expect to "financially survive an incident on the public highways". Every state, every large city and most medium sized city yellow pages will list several law firms with a banner in the ad saying, "Involved in an accident? Recover your losses legally, contact us for a free initial consultation. No fee unless we obtain a settlement".....

Today's "towing requirements go far, FAR beyond meeting the RAWR rating and DOT doesn't care about that yellow sticker."

Referencing the text in red; You can't drive down most any interstate in the country and not see a huge billboard every mile or two advertising that law firm ready to represent anyone that feels they were wrongfully harmed. Many of them advertise "x millions won for our clients". All a individual would have to do is look up - I'm sure there will be a billboard within viewing distance giving the wronged person the right one to sue you.

Gone are the days of "talk about stickers making your head spin". When they say "do not exceed...", "must not exceed...."; those are not some yellow sticker suggestion, they are mandates and I'm sure the lawyer up there on that billboard will be happy to point that out in court if an individual felt inclined to disregard those stickers then had the misfortune of being involved in an accident....in the wrong or not.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #9
Laredo Tugger

Windsorray.
I was in your same situation about two years ago. I had a 2016 F250 Lariat 6.2L and towed a 27 ft. TT with no problems. When I purchased my present fifth wheel and towed it with the Ford, well it towed it but it didn't like it. I could tell that the "strain" on all the pertinent components (axles,trans,brakes ect...) was going to be too much for the Ford and I found a diesel configuration that suited my needs. You will probably have to do the same. The difference in towing is as stated many times on this forum,"night and day".
If your trailer has a high cargo capacity and is "family loaded" and it comes in around 14K you might consider a DRW. Good luck.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #10
xrated

Quote:
If I seriously thought your response was a "trolling" answer, I'd put a smilie up and laugh a little bit at how sarcastic you were with that response. Unfortunately, I fear it wasn't a "troll" response, so I'll make some comments about it.
1. You've obviously don't know the difference between GVWR and payload.
2. Planning your towing based on what the rear axle rating is, is just bad information to give out.....some might even call it stupid!
3. I suspect that the "stupid sticker" may not actually be as stupid as you think it is.
4. No where on the yellow sticker does it tell you how much the truck weighs

You are just a fountain of bad/inaccurate information.....have a great day

Oh, and one more thing. Those stickers on the door are not "Federal" stickers, but they are mandated to be there by the Federal folks...DOT and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration....so in effect, they are Federal stickers!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsorray View Post
Hi I have a 2017 f250 6.2 gas engine.
I currently tow a 2019 cougar 29rks I’m looking to trade up to the cougar 367 front living room it weights 11200 would I be able to tow it with the 250 I have
The very first thing to do is look at the white sticker with yellow highlighted areas on the driver side door post and see what your payload capacity is on the truck. Keep in mind though, that payload number on that sticker is the amount of payload that the truck had on the day it was built. Anything and everything that you might have added to the truck since then, decreases that number.....a 5ver hitch, spray on bedliner, toolbox loaded with tools, etc. So make that the first item you check, then, figure on "worst case scenario". That means, use the GVWR for the trailer (14,000 lbs) and figure a MINIMUM of 20% of that weight will be on the pin of the trailer and thus, on your truck. Some go as high as 25%, but 20% is a good "guesstimate" for now. Then add up all the other weights in or on the truck, as mentioned above....plus, firewood in the bed, passenger(s), dog, grill...whatever goes in/on the truck. If you load the trailer up to or close to the GVWR, you are going to have pretty close to 2800 lbs of pin weight right there. do the math and see what you think......I'm guessing that your truck is going to be in the 3000 lb range as far as payload numbers on the sticker....maybe a little more.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
In reading this long post of VERY bad advice I'm guessing you are a truck or RV salesman, if not you'd make a good'un!!! You sound just like most of those guys I've ever dealt with, totally clueless what those "head spinning" numbers actually mean.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #13
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

There is absolutely nothing legal about that yellow stupid sticker. No where on that sticker that says it's a crime to exceed the limits on said stupid sticker. You guys can follow what you want because it's America BUT it's not correct to put misinformation out there. That yellow sticker is NOT a legel document and The Barns firm wouldn't prosecute you for not following the yellow sticker.
Another thing, there are tire sizes listed on that same sticker. So what you guys that believe the yellow sticker is the end all can't possibly run lower air pressure in your tires nor can you run a different tire size than what is on the sticker. You ether follow everything on the sticker or just what you want. You can't pick and chose, it's all or nothing. I'm in the nothing camp.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Just a few notes on what’s been said here. First are the federal stickers. I have pictures on just about everything. The white sticker in the picture is the federal certification label. The second sticker below it is the tire and load placard. The information on those placards is for the vehicle they are attached to. They depict information valid when the vehicle left the factory. They don’t have to have a DOT approval on them as the FMVSS (standards) directs their use and the information found on them.

The reference I found for that particular trailer and year model lists the GVWR as 10,400#. That GVWR value is not going to change. When the vehicle weight is less than GVWR, the proper term is GVW.

The tow vehicle has a manufacturer approved GCWR. It’s designed to successfully operate at or below that GCWR. Each vehicle (trailer and TV) have a GVWR. The GVWRs are maximum limiting factors not to be exceeded.

The major obstacle with a SWD tow vehicle is the tongue weight of the towed vehicle, especially a fifth wheel trailer.

FMVSS = Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford PU 12-12-1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	27627
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #15
CWtheMan

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing legal about that yellow stupid sticker. No where on that sticker that says it's a crime to exceed the limits on said stupid sticker. You guys can follow what you want because it's America BUT it's not correct to put misinformation out there. That yellow sticker is NOT a legel document and The Barns firm wouldn't prosecute you for not following the yellow sticker.
Another thing, there are tire sizes listed on that same sticker. So what you guys that believe the yellow sticker is the end all can't possibly run lower air pressure in your tires nor can you run a different tire size than what is on the sticker. You ether follow everything on the sticker or just what you want. You can't pick and chose, it's all or nothing. I'm in the nothing camp.
Ask your lawyer friend how this particular NHTSA quote is handled.

"Industry standards generally form the basis for demonstrating product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others".

NHTSA= National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Old 05-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Calling the sticker "stupid" is not helping. The misinformation you are spouting out is far worse. Here's a link that might help: https://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppers. Tire size/inflation is "recommended " the weights are not. They are maximums. No one on this post said it is against the law to exceed these numbers. However; common sense would dictate that you don't. What everyone (except you) are saying is this... Can you be held accountable for exceeding these numbers? Absolutely. Every state I know of has a motor vehicle statues that covers "operating an unsafe vehicle", just like they can cite you for driving at the posted speed limit if there is inclement weather (most states list that as speed to great for conditions).

If you are involved in an accident, especially a fatal one, you bet either the police, the insurance investigators, or the accident reconstructionist that an attorney hires will find out and you will be accused of causing or contributing to the accident. Your statements on "what you can do" isn't the same as "what you SHOULD do". IMHO having the common sense to know the difference and articulating that to others is not "stupid.

I've never liked the word "stupid". I think it's demeaning and typically used by people that can't express their thoughts in an effective manner. We all have our opinions and we can express them within the confines of the community rules. IMO telling an uniformed member seeking to understand the safe operation of their rigs to ignore that sticker is misleading, misinformed, and wrong. You can do what you like with your own rig but telling someone else to ignore that sticker is like telling a new driver it's o.k. to drive at 65 with zero visibility in fog.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #17
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
<clip>
Oh, and one more thing. Those stickers on the door are not "Federal" stickers, but they are mandated to be there by the Federal folks...DOT and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration....so in effect, they are Federal stickers!
Quote:
There is absolutely nothing legal about that yellow stupid sticker. <clip>
The white sticker is mandated by the US Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 49CFR567.4 and the yellow sticker by 49CFR575.6.

I am unaware that enforcement is stipulated in the CFR (at least it's not in those chapters that I am familiar with) - that is left to other regulatory documents that reference the CFR, as alluded to in this Wikipedia entry:
Under the nondelegation doctrine, federal agencies are authorized by "enabling legislation" to promulgate regulations (rulemaking). The process of rulemaking is governed by the Administrative Procedure Act (APA): generally, the APA requires a process that includes publication of the proposed rules in a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM), a period for comments and participation in the decisionmaking, and adoption and publication of the final rule, via the Federal Register.
I am certain someone who is more proficient with web searches (or has a legal background) could dig up the appropriate enforcement information.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #18
CWtheMan

When writing about government rules and regulations you have to do a huge amount of homework. I always try to find a precedent.

Most of the rules and regulations in highway transportation areas fall back on safety. When a vehicle manufacturer says it’s safe to operate the vehicle up to and including its maximum capacity described as Grosse Vehicle Weight Rating, they follow that statement with something like, NEVER exceed this vehicle’s GVWR. Unless a state has adopted a vehicle inspection program that has penalties for such safety violations there are none, unless a court gets involved. Then industry standards come into play and they look back and say, “The vehicle manufacturer told you that was unsafe”.

I’ve read and pondered over tire committee rules and regulations and the procedure for adopting them since 2003. I can write about them but cannot always quote where in a time frame something became a standard, without rereading.

Here is an example.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ction-and-rims
Old 05-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

+Ruff Rider... let me just say this... you have sent the lawyer nerd weight police alarm off. Go hide for awhile as the pile on has been getting serious. How many of you folks are trapped in your home and have a LOT of time on your hands.

My point is, the F250 is an unknown and the payload number will give an indication of its ability to drag that big trailer down the road. I bet I could drag it nicely with my old clunker but would be begging the missus to let me look for a new (well used clunker) dually. Even poor guys can dream. AND FOLKS... I know Ruff was a bad boy but geesh, lighten up a little. Everybody says... well dumb, once in awhile.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

George, making dumb, dangerous statements to folks wanting to know "real" info is not only dumb but it's unwarranted.

Beyond the fact that the comments about weights are so far off base that it's hard to believe, there is just the mere fact of the trailer size and the truck.

I don't buy diesels. I have driven and towed with them but don't want one. I DO however buy gas trucks; lots of them and know them very well. The OP has a 3/4 ton 6.2 gas truck. He's looking at a 14k 5th wheel trailer. That is just a no go realistically. Can he "pull" it? Of course - marginally given the right circumstances. Will his numbers be safe? No. Will he be unhappy with the combo? I'm sure. Is telling him it's OK, he can "probably" do it, it "should" be OK etc. the right thing to do? No. Is that the kind of advice and information the OP is looking for - or deserves? No.

As I said, I know gas trucks. I've used a similar equipped 3/4 ton to pull a 10k gvw trailer lots. Did a great job. My assessment? The one I gave DW? 12k and this truck will not do it and will require a bigger truck. She insisted on having a washer/dryer. That required a larger trailer and a full profile 5th wheel.....and a larger, gas truck. Now I have a one ton gas truck pulling a 14k gvw, full profile 5th wheel - our 1st trip. Numbers are OK because I will not go above 13k; they would not have been on the 3/4 by any stretch of the imagination. Would the 3/4 truck make the trailer "go"? Yep. Would I have been uneasy while risking our lives as well as others? No doubt.

People that don't know, asking for guidance from those that supposedly do, don't deserve getting some "hey ya'll, watch this" response from those that either don't care or don't know. It's not responsible....and it's not a "lawyer, nerd, weight police" response given; it's common sense.

Tags
tow, towing