Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
Prhodes

Propane Tank Humming noise

2020 keystone cougar 29rbd
I have two 30gallon tanks on this unit. When I switched tanks today by turning the selector switch on the gauge it started to hummmmm. It quits when I turn it back to the other tank. What could be causing this humming?
Prhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe something in the regulator. As long as everything is working, I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
travelin texans

Technically you have 2-30lb bottles which are 7 gallon each.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:26 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

If it's isolated to only using one of the tanks then I'd suggest closing the valve on that tank. Then SLOWLY open the valve. If the valve isn't fully opened they can create a "chatter". It could be the regulator as well.

If you still get the noise then swap the tanks and see if the noise follows the tank. The noise is annoying but otherwise harmless.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #5
Prhodes

Appreciate the info fellas! I need to find a way to fix this issue. It's directly under my bedroom, annoying!! Yes everything works still just fine. I'll call the dealer today, see what they say about it.
Prhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
Reset19

Please post your result. I have the same issue.
Reset19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like the diaphragm in the regulator is "humming/vibrating". That could be caused by a bit of moisture collected inside a hose while changing the tanks, a defective "safety valve" that won't fully open in one of the tank lines or even a "safety valve" in one of the tanks that isn't functioning properly.

I have a "clicking" in one of my tanks "at times" depending on propane use. If it's just the refrigerator, it clicks, turn on anything else and there's enough flow to overcome the "clicking". I tried to isolate it to the tank hose and did that by changing the two hoses (leaving the tanks where they are located. That eliminated the clicking with the left tank, it moved with the hose to the right tank. To date, I haven't changed out the "sensitive hose" (it still works and is not a safety issue) more because I keep forgetting to buy a replacement rather than because of a "need to eliminate the clicking"...

If I were you, I'd first put the bottles on the opposite hoses, see if the humming continues. If it does, I'd replace the regulator first, hoses second, or to "kill two birds with one stone" just buy two hoses and a regulator assembly and replace the entire thing.... SAVE THE OLD SYSTEM AS AN EMERGENCY SPARE..... You never know when a regulator or hose will spring a leak and/or stop working.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #8
Brantlyj

Not in an rv but when I run a propane heater in the winter I get a hum and sometimes a squeal.
Chalked it up to cold temps and high flow through the regulator causing the regulator to freeze up.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
travelin texans

Most likely the cheapo changeover regulator, they're about as cheap as you could find by the gross. If replaced, changeover or the other one, get the Marshall brand, they're more expensive but once & done.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
FlyingAroundRV

We had this this past season for the first time. What I did was to open the valve on the other tank and turn the valve off on the offending tank. Then I turned the original tank back on slowly and then turned the other tank off. The sound was coming from the tank, not the regulator.

I think the auto shutoff valve in the tank is causing the humming. I read somewhere here on these forums that these tanks have a safety valve that cuts off the gas flow if the hose gets cut or ruptures.

To check where the noise is coming from, you can use a mechanics "stethiscope". Take a screwdriver and put the pointy end on what you want to listen to, then press your ear to the handle.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:35 PM   #11
bobbecky

The regulator is probably humming because it forgot the words to the song 😜
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The regulator is probably humming because it forgot the words to the song 😜

I had a humming regulator once (true) and kept it because I liked the song!! (not true!)
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
Tom N OH

We had the same issue on our Montanan High Country last season. It was coming from the high pressure regulator. (The red one by the LH tank.) Replaced it with a new one & no more noise.

2017 F350 CC LB SRW 6.7
2015 Montana HC 305RL
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #14
moodman

If no gas is flowing, then it is impossible for a noise to be generated. So, in my thinking, the flow can be only one of three possible directions.
1. From the tank to an appliance. You didn't say, but is this sound ONLY when an appliance is working? This is important, because one of two things can be happening. Either the appliance leaks slightly when off, or gas is flowing towards the appliance (when off) and leaking before it gets to the appliance.
2. Fro the tank to the other tank. You also didn't say if you turned off the other tank's valve. If you did, and the noise is still there, and you have eliminated possibilities per #1 above, there is a leak between the two tanks.
3. The flow is leaking at the tank. It could be in the regulator itself or a connection near the tank.

I suggest getting a bottle of soap bubbles like kids use or you can make your own soap solution. Put it on ALL connection points and observe if there are bubbles.

Good luck, but you MUST fix this! Its potentially dangerous.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:48 AM   #15
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I had a humming regulator once (true) and kept it because I liked the song!! (not true!)
Same happened to me once and couldn't get that tune outta my head.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #16
terrymullett

We just had this too, right after a big change in outdoor temperature. It only happened when we were using gas (DW noticed it when I turned on stove top to make dinner). Regulator. Pitch changed when I switched between cylinders. I disconnected both gas cylinders and reconnected, haven't heard it since. Magic. Or a trapped air bubble. Probably will start again as soon as I save this reply (finger poised over button...)
terrymullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
Not in an rv but when I run a propane heater in the winter I get a hum and sometimes a squeal.
Chalked it up to cold temps and high flow through the regulator causing the regulator to freeze up.
If I go from humming the tune to singing it often sounds like a squeal.

My singing is so bad I won't even sing in church as even God isn't that forgiving!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank