Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
brim24

Shower leak!

So I have a shower leak. It appears to be leaking between basin and shower wall. I know it’s been said a thousand time not to caulk that channel but not seeing another solution. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.
brim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

How did you verify the leak? Not saying it isn’t but if the surround was mounted correctly, the base has a lip and unless the laws of gravity have changed water does not flow uphill.

Does it only leak when the faucet is on? Does the leak appear to be at the bottom of the wall that has the faucet? I’m not convinced the leak is at the seam.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Frank G

There is always the chance the OP has a cracked/damaged base unit. or a leaking drain seal.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brim24 View Post
So I have a shower leak. It appears to be leaking between basin and shower wall. I know it’s been said a thousand time not to caulk that channel but not seeing another solution. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

For the purposes of trying to accurately assess the problem I think you need to determine the actual point of the leak. "Appears" is not an indicator, to me, that we know the actual point of the leak. What has been done to assure it's not coming down the wall? What's above the leak area that could be leaking? To go in and just "caulk" may only cover the problem instead of fixing it leaving it to manifest itself later in a much worse way.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
brim24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
For the purposes of trying to accurately assess the problem I think you need to determine the actual point of the leak. "Appears" is not an indicator, to me, that we know the actual point of the leak. What has been done to assure it's not coming down the wall? What's above the leak area that could be leaking? To go in and just "caulk" may only cover the problem instead of fixing it leaving it to manifest itself later in a much worse way.
When I spray water on the seam, water runs down the back wall underneath, immediately behind the spot I spray. It doesn’t leak when I spray anywhere else. Not coming from plumbing or drain. There is nothing above where they meet or cracks.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Are you talking about a vertical seam or the seam between the bottom of the wall and the top of the shower pan? If it is at the bottom horizontal seam where the wall/pan meet I'm thinking you might try a little siliconized caulk to see if it would stop. Don't know that I would seal the entire pan if it's not leaking but at least you could see if that eliminated the problem. Hopefully the caulk will be "stretchy" enough to not cause an issue (I doubt it) plus fix the problem.

I'm hoping you can actually see the anomaly in the seam causing it to leak like a raised/waffly edge or something like that which would make it much easier to fix. I've used Dynaflex 230? with pretty good success on various projects. If it doesn't resolve the issue at least it comes off fairly easily unlike silicone.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
brim24

It is the horizontal seam where the pan meets the wall. About two to four inches from the glass wall. Would probably only caulk a couple of inches past that. Was definitely going to use some stretchy caulk.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
brim24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Are you talking about a vertical seam or the seam between the bottom of the wall and the top of the shower pan? If it is at the bottom horizontal seam where the wall/pan meet I'm thinking you might try a little siliconized caulk to see if it would stop. Don't know that I would seal the entire pan if it's not leaking but at least you could see if that eliminated the problem. Hopefully the caulk will be "stretchy" enough to not cause an issue (I doubt it) plus fix the problem.

I'm hoping you can actually see the anomaly in the seam causing it to leak like a raised/waffly edge or something like that which would make it much easier to fix. I've used Dynaflex 230? with pretty good success on various projects. If it doesn't resolve the issue at least it comes off fairly easily unlike silicone.
Here is what I am looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D0E9B99F-360F-4A97-89E2-05A76729599F.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	22826   Click image for larger version

Name:	36DE3C96-2825-4F25-BF67-F0F7B32AA3FF.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	22827  
Old 07-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I don't see a thing wrong with that seam from the pic. You don't reckon it might be coming from the button just above your red line? If not, I think I would just run a thin bead of caulk where the red line is and see if that wouldn't fix it. I doubt you would ever notice the caulk line if you run it fine enough.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

This is a WAG, so bear with me. Looking at your photos, it looks like the shower pan/shower wall may not be the source of the leak. It's in the front corner of the shower, where the vertical glass wall attaches to the fiberglass shower wall and the three surfaces meet "at the corner. If I were a betting man (retired, on a fixed income, so I try not to lose anything on a risky bet), I'd put my money on either the silicone seal along the glass wall attachment aluminum molding or on the lower corner where the three meet. There is no "shower pan rise" beyond that last inch or so in that corner.

I'd suspect your leak is either dripping/flowing down the aluminum molding or that corner has a sealant void under the corner of the aluminum or fiberglass shower wall "IN THE CORNER".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ll double down on Johns answer. See it lots of times in this style.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #12
brim24

I did notice that on the inside, where the glass meets isn’t siliconed all the way down. However it is sealed all the way down on the outside. It could be getting behind the panel at that point. I think I will caulk that corner and a few inches in and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brim24 View Post
I did notice that on the inside, where the glass meets isn’t siliconed all the way down. However it is sealed all the way down on the outside. It could be getting behind the panel at that point. I think I will caulk that corner and a few inches in and see if that fixes the problem.

I would bet this will fix your issue. I thought you had checked that sort of thing out. It's hard for water to "run uphill" over the drip edge of the pan and the sealant around the glass is usually pretty easy to check.

Tags
leak