Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 04:52 AM   #21
Carlosgg87

Sup Guys new to the forum from Tomball TX. Wondering if anyone else has installed their 2nd AC lately? I have allready purchased the Gateway, relay control and mount kit. just looking for a good deal on the actual Dometic AC.

I have read and re read the instructions and seem like I should be able to get it done. Just wondering if anyone has done it and if they ran into any issues that may have not been in the written info above and maybe have pictures or videos?

Thanks!!

2019 Cougar HT 25RES
Tow: 2019 F-250
Carlosgg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #22
Carlosgg87

Sup guys, just wanted to give an update.

I did in fact install my second AC about 3 weeks ago, I was planning to take pics of it all but had been raining and caught a break in the weather and went to town and totally forgot about pics while I was in the install zone. I opted for the 15k version just due to summers in Texas get a little wild and not crazy much more $. So I got the Relay controller (this included the long mounting screws which I found odd to be included here and not the mounting kit), Gateway (included temp wire sensor which RV has already pre-wired), mounting Kit and AC (ill post at the end list of the p/n’s I used which are basically the same as listed up top, along where I bought from and price for others to see and compare). Laid everything out in the living room got familiar with it. The gateway had some useful info too. The instruction’s laid out by Chief in this thread are spot on!!!. After I got familiar with the equipment, went in to the RV pulled the wires down from bedroom along with pulling down the existing rear AC setup. Compared it all with of the instructions & everything made sense, so very grateful for his input and attention to detail while spelling all this out. I did use a decent amount of Ac alluminum pooky tape or whatever its called to seall all around the ducts in the vent area.

Only issue besides the norm of taking off the existing sealant from the vent and getting the AC on the roof by myself ( was a little sketchy) was my in-command APP. After install, I fired everything up and all worked as it should from the touch screen and was very happy about that. Issue was my phone app along with my wifes would connect to the RV the quickly disconnect and close the app. Did it for 2 days. I contacted ASA (in command peeps) they suggested to fist before anything else update the software in the RV. So I got a USB, downloaded the 3 updates from their website and followed the instruction provided and that fixed it!... So far I have only been on one weekend trip with 0 issues and worked great! (fingers crossed).

Parts list, price and from where purchased (prices inc. shipping)
Ac bought from PPL
Duo-Therm Brisk Air II Air Conditioner-15,000 Btu, Black p/n - B59516.XX1J0 ($724.17)
The items below bought from Ebay
Dometic Relay Controller p/n-3313191.00 ($64.52)
Dometic Gateway p/n-3316945.040 ($86.60)
Dometic ducted mount kit p/n- ($47.63)

Total cost was $922.92 for 15K ac, dealer quoted me 2280 for 13.5K ac. So glad I found this and happy with the outcome.

2019 Cougar HT 25RES
Old 05-08-2020, 07:07 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Paying retail "dealer prices" typically hurts. It's a great savings if you have the ability and knowledge to DIY it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:14 AM   #24
kevinmb61

On the newer Dometic roof AC's, with the styrofoam cover over the evaporator area, how does that styrofoam come off? Just lift, pull, cut around the base? It appeared to be maybe glued down? Not sure. Then if so, how to attach back afterward? Thx Kevin
kevinmb61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:33 AM   #25
Carlosgg87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmb61 View Post
On the newer Dometic roof AC's, with the styrofoam cover over the evaporator area, how does that styrofoam come off? Just lift, pull, cut around the base? It appeared to be maybe glued down? Not sure. Then if so, how to attach back afterward? Thx Kevin
Morning Bud,

I am not sure I did not remove the cover at all. I installed the freeze sensor through the underside once i had all ready installed the ac on the roof. placed it and the same spot as the existing rear AC.

2019 Cougar HT 25RES
Old 07-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #26
markcee

Pics Available

Should anyone like them, the pics referenced in the original post can be found here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HP9qBDBwebpeAyde9

The OP still had them and messaged them to me. They are in no particular order but we found them useful.

We installed our 2nd unit today. The entire project from start to finish took just over 4 hours and the unit fired up without issue on the InCommand system. A 1" hole saw worked well cutting the hole through the wood support - I had no sheet metal to contend with. Using a fish tape (or any kind of stiff wire) worked great bringing the wires through to the new location.

A couple of things we observed that differed from the instructions in the original post:

1. When looking at our existing gateway, we did not have the jumper connector that was to be removed and installed on the new gateway. Instead, we had a green/yellow wire with connector already in the slot. We left it intact. I'm am really glad we didn't have the jumper there to remove as there was about a 3" blob of sealant overflow that got on the gateway, essentially sealing the connector in place.

2. We had an unmentioned wire in the bundle we removed from the white box and moved to the new AC location. It was a splittable wire - black on one lead, dark gray on the other. We just left it alone.

3. Minor, but just in case you encounter it - our looped wire (the one that you need to cut in half) was red and white and not green and white.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #27
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Should anyone like them, the pics referenced in the original post can be found here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HP9qBDBwebpeAyde9

The OP still had them and messaged them to me. They are in no particular order but we found them useful.

Thanks for getting these pics for us.

Mike
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #28
KRumm

Side question... Is the green and white wire just a 12 power line?... I just want to install a basic 12v fan right now and the vent I have has no fan so I need to get 12v from somewhere...

Also is the green the positive or negative?
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #29
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Side question... Is the green and white wire just a 12 power line?... I just want to install a basic 12v fan right now and the vent I have has no fan so I need to get 12v from somewhere...

Also is the green the positive or negative?
KR, I hope someone can tell us the answer to this question because I was wondering the same. I can tell you though, that of the two white wires, the one with a color stripe is usually the positive line.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:53 AM   #30
markcee

As total novices, we basically followed along with the original instructions when we did our install and everything worked out. Unfortunately that also means we can't shed any light on the actual purpose of that looped wire.

Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion, as again we are just learning, but could you snip it and check it with a multimeter? The OP did state in the original text that this wire 'powers things down the line...'
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #31
KRumm

With a little more research I found a green/white wire should be a 12v circuit (Hopefully not a comm cable for the AC) so I’ll try to confirm with a voltage meter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9220BB26-95AC-4931-8416-331B79C61212.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	28981  
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #32
Deemik

This is wonderful! Exactly what my husband needs! Thank you so much!
Deemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #33
Rdegroat

Ok so I followed the instructions, very well detailed by the way, and ac unit does not turn on. The temperature for the zone does show up on the in command console but when I turn either the fan or the ac on.. nothing! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Rdegroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #34
wiredgeorge

The original poster hasn't been on this forum since March so perhaps one of the other folks who have done the install can jump in and help. Click on the user name of some of the folks who have done this job and send them a PM. Some have been on recently and may not have seen your request for help.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #35
Rdegroat

Thank you! I am new to the forum I assumed everyone would see my post
Rdegroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #36
Larryd911

I recently did the upgrade, only issue I ran into was I had the wrong floor plan installed in my in-command system. I had the 30amp version and couldn’t see the second zone. If anyone else runs into this problem, contact ASA tech support they have access to all the floor plans and can send you the right file. Keystone refused to provide any help at all.
Larryd911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #37
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryd911 View Post
I recently did the upgrade, only issue I ran into was I had the wrong floor plan installed in my in-command system. I had the 30amp version and couldn’t see the second zone. If anyone else runs into this problem, contact ASA tech support they have access to all the floor plans and can send you the right file. Keystone refused to provide any help at all.
Thanks for that tip. My loaded floorplan is for the 30 amp version of my 2020 26RBSWE, even though the TT is 50 amps. I think I'll call and see if they have a 50 amp version. Not sure when I'll get to this project, but it would be nice to have an alternate floorplan on hand if I have trouble.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #38
Soonerdad

Will second Dometic work with existing Coleman?

Hi guys, the information in this thread is phenomenal! Just what I needed!

However I have what might be a wrench thrown in on mine, so I wanted to get your opinions. I'm in the process of buying a new 2021 Cougar 368MBI, and the existing AC unit is a Coleman Mach 15. My question is, since everything in this thread pertains to adding a second Dometic unit to use with the InCommand system, would it work to add a Dometic unit along with the existing Coleman unit, and would everything on here still work? Or would I have to add a Coleman as the second unit and scour the internet to find a new set of instructions?

That would be a lot of $$ to buy all the Dometic parts and then discover it wouldn't work with the existing Coleman unit!

Thanks for any info!
Soonerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd make a guess that your trailer has the "In-Command system" ???

If it does, then everything on top of the trailer will need to "speak the same language". Dometic and Coleman don't speak the same language, so you'll need an interpretor to get them to both talk to the same "In-Command inputs".

I haven't heard of anyone building a "Coleman/Dometic interface" unit to get them to "talk".

I'm sure it can be done, but I'd suspect it wouldn't be worth it, even if the second A/C unit was "free"...

All the above applies if you're planning to interface the new A/C with the In-Command system. If you're just planning to "remove the current roof vent dome, install the new A/C, use a control panel mounted on the air conditioner and not interface with the current system, then sure, any A/C you can connect to the existing 120 VAC wiring will work "just fine"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:17 AM   #40
Soonerdad

Will second Dometic work with existing Coleman?

Yes, as mentioned in my original post, I want to get both the new system and the existing Coleman Mach system working with the In-Command system. After reading your response I'm almost convinced that this might work. You mentioned that since they are two different manufacturers they would need an interpreter to work together, but I don't think the two AC units actually need to 'talk' to each other; they just both need to 'talk' to the In-Command system. I know the existing Coleman already works with the In-Command, and the gateway and relay control allows the second system (Dometic in this thread) to 'talk' to the In-Command system, so if they can both work with it, it sounds like it might work... My logic may be completely flawed, but unless I don't understand what the gateway does (which is a definite possibility) it sounds like they might have a good chance of working together.

I guess it would still be better to get a matching Coleman for the second system, I'm just not sure how the wiring would all be done on a Coleman vs. the wonderfully detailed instructions that were done on this thread for the Dometic. I'll keep looking to see if I can find something like this for the Coleman systems as well.
Soonerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner