Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
RMC

Moving up from tent to Passport 2200RBWE

We just purchased a 2019 Passport 2200RBWE.

My wife and I are veteran campers but have always tented. We've been wanting to get a trailer for a few years but with our work schedules the trailer would have sat in storage 50 weeks of the year.

Now that retirement is coming up for me next year we have decided that now's the time. We do not have a tow vehicle right but we figured it was best to know what we would be towing before investing in a truck.

We live in the Fraser Valley in British Columbia. We'll be staying mainly in BC and Canada for the first couple of summers until my wife retires. After that we're looking forward to touring the US south during the winter months.
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
14george

Welcome to the fourm from Wv congrats. I would go with a 3/4 ton tow vehicle in case you want to get a bigger rv
Old 11-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the new trailer. You are doing the right thing by knowing what you are pulling and getting something appropriate to pull it. Usually folks buy a TV and then buy the RV they've "always wanted" and wish it would fit the weights.

The trailer you have is about 6500 gvw. Hitch might be about 750 or so. That would let a properly equipped (right axle ratio/engine/body/etc.) 1/2 ton do a pretty good job. The trailer is only 25' so the 1/2 ton, with WDH/sway will do OK with that. The question is....is that going to be the right truck?

This is your first trailer; you both are retiring and going to do some extensive traveling. IS the trailer going to be what you want after a year of that? I know you're used to tent camping but I also know that after staying in an RV for extended periods, especially in bad weather, it kind of gets cramped feeling (especially for DW). Search you hearts on that then make the truck choice. I would go with nothing less than a full 1/2 ton from one of the big 3 with their biggest V8 and best towing package so the towing would be as uneventful as possible. If you think there is a HINT that you might want something bigger, just go for the 3/4 right now and save yourself a lot of money (even a 1 ton if you think you might go that big). Good luck and let us know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Pull Toy

+1 for 14George!

Your first trailer is never your last.... Plan ahead for two jumps ahead. That way you don't trade in a perfectly good 2 year old Tow Vehicle that is just not up to the "NEW" load. $$$ lost.

You might even consider a 1 ton, as the price is not a major money boost from a 3/4 ton. Then you'll know you're up to "almost" any job. Plus, facing retirement, you might pick up a few local hauling jobs ($$$) putting trailers on their summer sites, for owners with no tows. (Just a thought....)

Welcome to the forum, there is a bunch of knowledge here, based on years and years of experience not to mention learned lessons from previous mistakes!

The camaraderie is remarkable!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
Chris P

Congratulations on your New camper and upcoming retirement, I have a similar unit and my Ram 1500 does well but 2500 would be better.Have to agree with everyone here, do your homework and ask questions ,Very helpful folks here.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
JimQ

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Passport! Good times are ahead for you guys.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Gegrad

Welcome from North Carolina!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport