Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
Cqyqte

Modifications to allow Overnighting in Walmarts

Our Keystone 2660RL with the slide in was impossible to open the bathroom door enough to reach in let alone enter. The door to the bathroom opened from the left outward and immediately hit the dinette seat edge. As it was raining today at the campground I decided to investigate and see if it was possible to reverse the direction of opening to rideside open out, so that the door edge would swing into the void between to dinette benches.

I found the door frame edges are held in place by the hinge screws on the one side, and the door strike and two screws top and bottom on the other side. A simple removal of the screws allowed for me to flip the door clockwise and placing the frames from one side to the other by rotating them clockwise as well. The whole process took 20 minutes and everything lined up perfectly. The only notable difference is the space at the bottom of the door is slightly greater than before, which is perfect to allow the door to swing over the slideout floor when it is retracted. All and all an easy mod for a rainy day and a blessing on those cold dark traveling nights when you got to go and you can't get to the can!

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
2017 Keystone Springdale 2660RL
Cqyqte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Sounds like you fixed the problem. But I must ask why won't you just push a button and open a slide when and where ever parked. I do and have on 2 RVs. For the last 15 years. If I am just stopped for a potty break, meal break or over night. Putting the slid out is simple and causes no problems. Parking spots here are normally 12ft wide at rest stops. Sometimes I park away from others. Walmart could be less.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
Cqyqte

You are correct it would do just as well, but once I did this it means come winter time I can place the trailer in the storage lot and for whatever reason necessary I can still gain access to the bathroom when the battery has been removed. I found it necessary to close the shower vent mid winter last year because the direction of the storm even with the vent travel cover allowed for some snow to blow in to the partially open roof vent. I find that leaving that shower vent open the trailer smells fresher come spring.

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
2017 Keystone Springdale 2660RL
Cqyqte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod