Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
greenjody

Which TT to choose?

I am currently looking at 3 almost identical Keystone TT's with different weight profiles. I am new to trailer hauling (Currently have Class C" so want some advice. My tow vehicle has a max tow of 7,200lbs and tongue weight of 720. I plan to get an Anderson WD hitch and want advice on the following:

Which is more important in safely hauling TT: Hitch weight, empty weight plus expected cargo and passengers or length of trailer. I don't expect to get anywhere near the max carry capacity since we will not take long trips with more than 2 people. We will use the extra sleeping capacity when parked near home or where the kids will meet us on trips to fun places. Kids are adults.

For example, I am looking a these three options and I like them in the order presented:

1. Empty weight: 5470 Max Carry: 2085 Hitch weight: 555 Length: 31' 7"
2. Empty weight: 5288 Max Carry: 2297 Hitch weight: 585 Length: 30' 9"
3. Empty weight: 5085 Max Carry: 1875 Hitch weight: 625 Length: 30' 6"

Maybe you can see my question. The heavier and longer TT has the lowest Hitch Weight. I was told on another forum that hitch weight is the most important if you are within normal range elsewhere. What do you all think? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
greenjody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
busterbrown

Hello, welcome to the forum. Before the weight police chime in, what will you be towing with?

To get your combination correctly setup, the biggest hurdle is knowing your TV's capacities. Payload, RAWR, GVWR, GCVWR, and max tongue weight. Many will tell you that "towing capacity" is irrelevant as the aforementioned capacities are challenged well before the "towing capacity" marketed by your truck's manufacturer. Same thing is true for the "empty or dry" weight of the trailer.

Take the trailer you listed first:

Empty weight: 5470
Now add these components and 'assumed' cargo:

Propane: 40
Battery: 50
Cargo: 750
15 gallons of combined fresh/gray/black water: 125

The trailer alone weighs in at 6435.

Your minimum hitch weight is 643 (10%) and max is 965 (15%). At 12%, the weight at the hitch ball is 772, a little over your TV's max tongue weight.

Applying these numbers in this scenario:

772 + 100 (WDH) + 400 (TV's passengers and cargo) = 1272. Your TV's payload capacity will have to be at least this amount.

Pay close attention to your axle weights too. Your RAWR can be easily exceeded by heavy tongue weights. Keep that in mind.

As far as length, a trailer at 30+ feet is a huge sail. Believe me, I know and so does anyone else hauling this length. Short wheelbase trucks are at a disadvantage. The inherent sway mechanics with a bumper pull rig can be harnessed in several ways. First, increase the wheelbase (and/or size) of the tow vehicle, an obvious costly option.

Second, invest in a premium 'sway elimination' hitch, notably a Hensley or Propride. These hitches lock the trailer's coupler in place with struts and keep lateral forces from inducing sway. The only downside to these premium hitches is weight. They are close to double the weight of traditional WDH's and sway controllers. So, it has to be factored into the tongue weight.

Again, let this community know what you'll be towing with and you'll get some honest advice.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:34 AM   #3
bsmith0404

What factor is most important is a loaded question. It's a total package and all need to be considered. The hitch weight will rise very quickly when you start adding equipment and cargo as already mentioned. The layout of the TT will have a factor on that as well as it will influence where you pack items as well as where the holding tanks are and if you will be traveling with them full or empty.

IMO, if you keep all weights in check, the wheel base of the TV is more important.

As mentioned by busterbrown, more information would help us give better advice/opinions. Maybe you stayed generic on purpose to get people to just answer on what factor they think is most important, but it makes it difficult to answer because they can all make or break a setup.

Personal opinion, based on info you have provided so far, you are pushing the limits with all 3 trailers. You are most likely going to exceed the max tow and hitch capacities of your TV with all of them.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:34 AM   #4
notanlines

What Buster and Brent said^^^^^. I have a nagging feeling that you are to be towing with a mid-sized SUV. As stated, think about the "sail" factor and how short your wheelbase is. I am very curious as to your tow vehicle.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
greenjody

Thanks for the very thoughtful feedback

My TV is a 2014 Dodge Durango with V8 and 4 wheel drive with factory tow package. Thanks again for the help
Old 09-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
greenjody

I just figured out how to reply to this specific message. Thanks for all the detail in your reply. Very thorough. Based on the information, I may be way over the limits of my Dodge Durango V8 4WD. I don't know how the dealers can all be so dishonest. In their videos and in person they say these trailers can be easily towed but mid-sized SUV's most of which have 5,000lb limits versus my 7,200 limit with the Durango. I look forward to any other thoughts. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
theallde

Almost in the same situation as yours. We had a 2014 Expedition and was at the borderline. Traded in the Expedition for a 2015 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4X Short Bed and haven't looked back. The loss we took on the Expedition was worth it , the F250 tows with ease and no more white-knuckles driving plus using diesel fuel makes it easy to fill up at the truck stops with plenty of maneuver room.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
bsmith0404

I have a friend who had a similar setup, 30' TT with a mid sized SUV, all he talked about was the white knuckle moments...he bought a 3/4 to truck as well and loved it.

They can be easily towed, just not safely towed.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Tbos

If you want to keep your TV look for a lighter TT. There are some nice ones out there that have a lot of space but are shorter and lighter. Have fun shopping.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
greenjody

Consensus is: TT's too big so what about these?

Was hoping to get it all but may have to settle for the minimum requirements since I really enjoy my Durango for hauling around friends and kids and don't need or want a second vehicle. What about either:

Bullet 243BHS - Empty: 4,703 Carry Cap: 1,780 Hitch: 555 Len: 27' 10"

Or

Passport 2400bh - Empty: 4.732 Carry Cap: 2,068 Hitch: 515 Len: 27' 10"

Again, we don't anticipate getting anywhere near the carry capacity. These both have double double bunks, huge awnings and outdoor kitchens. Just not as much living space which I think we can live with to keep my knuckles flesh colored rather than white .

Thanks again for all your great advice. Oh, if anyone wants to chime in on thede models and how they have performed, I would appreciate.

Cheers,

Jody

Selling Class C

Looking at Ultralights
Old 09-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #11
RGene7001

I can only state that if one of your three initial TT choices was Passport 2670 you can go for it without hesitation. I made 15000+ miles with this floorplan, as well as with 250lb lighter 2650, had no problems on the road, and was well within weights while carrying 1/2 tank of fresh water. The stuff inside the trailer distributes evenly and does not contribute much to the hitch weight. I will not change my ML for anything with a bed and leaf spring rear suspension, may be only for GLE or Q7 when time comes. The Durango is basically an ML clone with much stronger hitch receiver.
There is another way to negate short wheelbase, a very important one: keep your rear overhang (distance from real axle to hitch ball) as short as possible. And it means NO ADJUSTABLE HITCHES. I use custom Eaz lift made specifically for Passport. I dont know much about Andersen, not very excited about it's principle, would prefer real friction, not dependent from hitch weight.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
Tbos

GreenJody, Any updates on what you're going to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjody View Post
My TV is a 2014 Dodge Durango with V8 and 4 wheel drive with factory tow package. Thanks again for the help
I had a Grand Cherokee V8. Great vehicle but not the greatest for towing. Take a look at the yellow sticker in the door jamb; it will list the payload capacity, probably around 1,200lbs. Take tnat number and subtract the weight of any accessories you've added, your weight, any passengers, cargo and a full tank of gas. Whatever is left will tell your max tongue weight, not to exceed the stated max of 720lbs.

Once you know that, you can start to see which trailer is right. We pulled a 238ML and I think it was at the high end for the GC. Good luck!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #14
tgoodwin321

We bought a 238mlwe 4000lbs dry last year. I towed it 12 miles home with our 2014 Durango V6 and never hooked it up to that vehicle again. The trailer unloaded treated the Durango like a rag doll and I wasn't about to put my family in that for any trip. Went out that weekend and picked up a Ram 1500 Hemi so I'd be in a better place for the trip we had planned for the weekend after. I sacrificed some of the bells and whistles that the Durango had but interior space has been just fine only losing 1 seat. Having the cargo of the truck bed also can't be beat. I only wish I hadn't been in a big hurry and gone with the 2500 or better. No upgrades in my near future but I feel extremely comfortable pulling the 238 fully loaded, water and all. I did add air bags to the rear suspension to help with the bounce and swapped the trailer tires for load range D after one spontaneously deflated. Now we just hit the road with no worries. Granted I was a teenager last time I had towed anything significant but I just knew there was a safety issue with the Durango/24ftr combo. Good luck whatever you decide.
Life rich but $$broke as a joke!
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote