Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #1
camperbrian

Took home new TT

I brought home my new Passport 2810bh yesterday and I'm pleased with it I thought towing would go a little better. There was a slight cross wind that gave the trailer some sway on the highway and kept me on the edge of my seat but mainly because I'm a newb at towing something this large. I kept the cruise at 63. The dealer installed a Husky centerline TS, and it seems like a good system although I'm going to tighten it up one notch to see if it improves. I reset my mileage before I left the dealer and averaged 9mpg I have a 13 Ecoboost 3.31 gears. I was somewhat disappointed with the power but I have to remember I'm towing 5200lbs. I believe airbags would help, but I think LT tires would be might best upgrade to the truck at this point.
I couldn't get the ball to release from the trailer after I got the tt home. I ended up pulling the pin from the hitch, and SLOWLY pulled the truck ahead so the hitch would come out of the receiver. This worked, but made me nervous doing it. Anyways I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with the I more tow it.
camperbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Mike484

Congrats

I carry a rubber mallet with me for the hitch, always gotta use it to latch and unlatch the hitch. Sometimes you gotta raise and lower the jack a little to get it loose. When hitching it up, you may even need to move your truck forward or back just a tad to get the hitch to latch.

I normally get 18 mpg on my truck, 9 mpg while pulling. I just learned to accept it as part of the cost of owning an RV.

Im my opinion, I never use cruise control when towing, I feel as though you could get into a very dangerous situation if anything goes and may get in the way of your corrective reactions.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
zuley

One trick you may consider doing to allow the ball to release is to pull the truck ahead a half inch or so after backing into your desired camping location. This allows the ball to move to the most forward spot on the coupler allowing an easier release. I was having the same issue until someone on the forum suggested the same to me.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Tbos

Congrats on picking up your 2810. LT tires will help the sway some but don't expect miracles. That is a big lightweight box you are pulling and the wind will always cause some issues. I had a similar issues with disengaging of the hitch latch. It's better now since I get to the site, chock my 2810 TT, jack it up to remove the equalizer bars, lower it back to put weight on the truck, release trucks emergency brake (allows it to move a little), then slowly raise the TT while pulling up on the latch. It comes open at about the point where the truck would be at its natural height. It took me 6 months to figure this out and sometimes it's still frustrating. Enjoy and post pictures of your full rig.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
audio1der

Congrats on the purchase!
A 28', 5200lb trailer is a big sail; it has a LOT of side area with little weight; it will push around a half ton. Make sure your trailer is level when hooked up, and the hitch is pushing enough weight to the front axle; Measure the front fender height unloaded. Add the trailer on the ball with no WD. Measure the fender height again. Now add the WD bars, and measure the front fender height a third time. With WD, it should measure somewhere between where it was empty, and halfway to where it was loaded.
Doing this helped how our 3220 pulled.
Airbags also help not just with rear sag, but helps keep the truck level consistently so your WD setup can work effectively.

I tow with cruise enabled when on flat ground so I can concentrate on driving and not keeping a constant speed. I cancel cruise when climbing hills so I decide how quickly the truck gets to the top and it doesn't kill itself doing so in cruise.

Your 3.31 gears are not ideal for towing; those are meant for improving mileage. I would encourage you to use tow/haul mode, and maybe manually choose a low enough gear to keep some rpms/cadence going so the truck isn't lugging. I choose manual mode and lock our trans so it can't shift higher than 4th gear, and tow at 60mph which is 2500rpm for example.

Hope this helps from another newb who has spent 3 seasons learning
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote