Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Stanomatic

Alaska\Canada Boondocking

I have read a few threads about driving to Alaska. I am picking up Milepost and "Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping: Alaska and Yukon Camping With RV or Tent". I plan to have several 5 gallon diesel cans but will most likely keep filling up near the half tank mark.

I am curious if I should camp at designated RV parks OR if there are plenty of opportunities to pull over and camp in my 5th wheel? I am a huge planner and have reservations for every stop in the states. Canada will basically be a pass through due to time constraints. I want to spend more time in Alaska.

What are your experiences?
Stanomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Stan -
During your short "drive-thru" Canada, you can stay either at Provincial Parks or in the usual private ones. When in BC - if you are going that route - most of our Provincial parks do not have hookups.

Unless you are familiar with area and have "local knowledge" I wouldn't advise "pulling over and camping in your 5th wheel". You just can't pull off the road and camp by the roadside --- the laws here are no different than those in your states in this respect.

Also, be aware of our laws regarding firearms. If you have obtained a special permit to transport your rifle- for hunting in Alaska for example - then you should be ok. Handguns for the purpose of personal protection or "protection from wildlife" are not allowed and you will be heavily fined and your handguns confiscated if caught. Again familiarize yourself with the laws about transporting and carrying firearms into Canada before you enter. Our laws are quite different from what you are used to and pleading ignorance will get you nowhere.

When in BC, there are enough gas/diesel stations along the way but you should carry a good-sized can or two just in case. Just keep an eye on your gauge and you'll be fine. Our fuel is considerably more costly so be prepared for a shock when you fuel up the first time. (Same with wine, beer and spirits ------)
Old 02-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
theallde

Stan: Sent you a private message. I have an itinerary and DVD of our Alaska adventure.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
hankaye

Stanomatic, Howdy;

Agree with Festus2, Leave all handguns at home, get permits for long arms
including a 12 ga. for pest (nasty critters), control/protection. Works fine
and when in a hurry aiming is simpler, point & shoot ... so-to-speak.
Biggest problem might be Brown Bears along the route so campgrounds
offer better odds of them not bothering you.
Just my take on the situation...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
FlyingChief

We're also looking at doing Alaska in 2017. I found a great site - www.northtoalaska.com - that has a ton of helpful information.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
Stanomatic

Thank you all for the replies. Sorry for getting back a little late.
@Festus2 Good info on Provincial Parks about hook ups. I won't plan on pulling over.

FIREARMS = I have done extensive research now and I am still deciding whether to fill out forms or ship from WA to Alaska and back again. Also, in my research I found I can't bring my pepper spray across the border. BUT, I can have bear spray.

I am aware of the difference of diesel. I know Canada sells in litters and also to understand CAN to $ conversion. I am good with math and can calculate all that. The good news overall is diesel/gas has dropped everywhere and they anticipate it will remain low for a while.

@theallde, thanks, I will PM you back.

@hankaye, looks like it will be campgrounds.

@flyingChief, I will check it out. Thank you.

My books should come in today. Looking forward to going through them.
Stanomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Steve S

Stanomatic as I read your replies it sounds like you have a pretty good plan set in mind
I drove to Alaska in Dec/Jan and it was a pretty nice and cold trip! I went there to see the Northern Lights and I did most of it off the beaten path with just bear spray which I never used.
I camped in a tent but not in campgrounds and enjoyed the peace and quiet while being as one with nature.
I wouldn't worry too much about bringing firearms as you're more likely to twist your ankle then you are to be attacked by a bear. Be more careful around the Moose especially while driving as I've hit a few and it' not too fun
The people are friendly, the bars are great and I plan to take the trip again this summer
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
bartbill

can you tell me about the permitting process. We are heading that way this summer. Would like to take a 12 gauge.
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbill View Post
can you tell me about the permitting process. We are heading that way this summer. Would like to take a 12 gauge.
If you Google it you'll get better accurate answers then you would on a RV forum Also as a gun owner wouldn't you belong to a few gun forums where you could ask for advice
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
You can find out information about bringing firearms into Canada here:

1) Canada Border Services Agency (www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

2) RCMP (www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Are you transporting your 12g from your residence through Canada and into Alaska or from your residence into Canada?

In either case, you would need to obtain and fill out the required permits, and pay a fee (of course). You would also have to specify what intended use you have for the 12g. As I mentioned earlier, I am certain that you cannot bring a firearm into Canada just for personal protection from both humans and wildlife.

Bottom line --- find out what the regs are and bring whatever documents are required. Don't show up at the border with a 12g shotgun without proper documentation--- licenses, permits, etc.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #11
bartbill

Whoa up there Steve. I didn't bring up the subject - it was in an earlier post.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #12
Steve S

Quote:
Whoa up there Steve. I didn't bring up the subject - it was in an earlier post.
You asked about bringing a 12 gauge to Canada, I replied to it, I thought it was good advice as I'm not up on the transportation of guns
Festus2 took the time to write a detailed post of the process.
If you're looking to hunt there's some good hunting I hunt with crossbows and bows, very silent and less regs to own one
Old 02-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #13
bartbill

Thanks much.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #14
CarKath

There are lots of rules as you can get the gest of ........here is a link that may help everybody...

http://canada.usembassy.gov/travelin...to-canada.html
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #15
Desert185

Quote:
Call the Canadian Firearm Center, 800-731-4000 or http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/

The fee is $25CDN for a 60 day permit.

Exchange rate: $1.00US is currently $1.395CDN, discounting the credit card company's foreign transaction fee.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
notanlines

I'll probably catch a little flack for this, but when you visit Florida do you bring your arsenal with you? Ten times as many 'gators in Florida as black/brown bears in Alaska.....and in one tenth the area. And just the thought of spending your non-Disney time in an area with large constrictors might be enough to up the ante to a ten gauge. Yes, I am having a little fun at your expense, but do you actually think it necessary to vacation in Alaska with firepower? Been there twice, once for six weeks, once for three weeks. The only thing I saw was the need for a little common sense and a fillet knife for the salmon. And one more thing; don't underestimate the awesomeness of British Columbia. The large numbers of black bears visible on their roads in the early morning and late evening will amaze you. And the scenery is fabulous. No shot gun necessary!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'll probably catch a little flack for this, but when you visit Florida do you bring your arsenal with you? Ten times as many 'gators in Florida as black/brown bears in Alaska.....and in one tenth the area. And just the thought of spending your non-Disney time in an area with large constrictors might be enough to up the ante to a ten gauge. Yes, I am having a little fun at your expense, but do you actually think it necessary to vacation in Alaska with firepower? Been there twice, once for six weeks, once for three weeks. The only thing I saw was the need for a little common sense and a fillet knife for the salmon. And one more thing; don't underestimate the awesomeness of British Columbia. The large numbers of black bears visible on their roads in the early morning and late evening will amaze you. And the scenery is fabulous. No shot gun necessary!
I was at the gas station and read this in my e-mail and couldn't stop laughing Thanks for the post and the good laugh as what you said is so true
Old 02-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
And one more thing; don't underestimate the awesomeness of British Columbia. The large numbers of black bears visible on their roads in the early morning and late evening will amaze you. And the scenery is fabulous. No shot gun necessary!
Yes, the scenery is fabulous and; yes, it is truly an "awesome place". However, you won't see bears on or by the roadside unless you get out into the country and well away from urban areas. There are exceptions to this but you will not find bears wandering around the streets of downtown areas.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #19
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Yes, the scenery is fabulous and; yes, it is truly an "awesome place". However, you won't see bears on or by the roadside unless you get out into the country and well away from urban areas. There are exceptions to this but you will not find bears wandering around the streets of downtown areas.
Sorry Festus2 but I'm going to disagree on your post. There's plenty of bears that can be seen from the roadside especially during the morning times as that's when they're off searching for food
I have so many pics of my last trip to Alaska but nothing digital that I can post. All my pics are film and it's one of my ways of making a living
Old 02-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #20
Desert185

Quote:
I carry everywhere it is legal for me to carry. No apologies, explanations or reasons necessary or required. The key word being "legal".

Edit: We live in Alaska during the summer, BTW.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, canada