Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2015, 03:55 AM   #1
Wantoride

Frederick MD to Amesbury MA

In the past when pulling the trailer north we have always gone 15-81-84-90-495 to avoid 95 and New York. If we are driving a car we'll use 95 because it is the most direct. Has anyone traveled this stretch before using another route. I see that 15-81-78-287-84 thru Danbury might be an option. I like to avoid congestion and excessive traffic when pulling. New York can be tricky to navigate in a car let alone pulling a trailer. I'd hate to take a wrong exit or be in the wrong lane and have to deal with fishing may way back on track in New York while pulling a trailer! Any suggestions are appreciated, tolls are not an issue, my sanity is!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:55 AM   #2
GaryWT

When we head to NY, PA etc out of Mass we take rt 90 to 84 and head to Newburgh NY to avoid the George Washington or Tapp en zee bridges. It is a few more miles but so much easier. We are actually going that way this weekend as we make our way to DC. On the way home we will be staying in NY until we get to rt 90 as we will be camping in Copake.

What are you doing in Amesbury, where are you camping?
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
FTWingRiders

I do that route every year, I have a sister in Frederick I stop by on my way to the Blue Ridge area. I much prefer the 81-84. 78 is all big rigs coming from the NJ ports, which takes a lot of the fun out of it.. I also try to avoid all of Conneticut by taking 87 north to 90 by Newbough NY. It adds to the drive, but more enjoyable to me. Last year I gave into my wife and took 84 all the way.. Yet, still hated it.. Lol.. YMMV

Had a seasonal in Amesbury one year.. Where are you headed to?
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Wantoride

My fathers family is from the area. We are going to my cousins for her annual pig roast in south Hampton. I spent every teen year up there in the summer until I got my drivers license. Great area. Amesbury has really changed. I think I'll stick to my original route of going 15-81-84 and so on. I'm familiar with it and what you said about trucks and New Jersey ports on 87 makes sense.